Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone UK Hopes to Make Future Broadband Networks Invisible  (Read 1857 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Vodafone UK Hopes to Make Future Broadband Networks Invisible
« on: January 19, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/vodafone-uk-hopes-to-make-future-broadband-networks-invisible.html

fibre optic superfast broadband cable

Vodafone has said that ISPs need to “look beyond speed” and “make the network invisible so users don’t even know it is there“. The operator was speaking at the launch of a new project – Broadband Quality Experience Delivered (BQED) – that aims to “greatly enhance” the quality of experience broadband networks provide.

The Broadband QED project is being launched by the Broadband Forum, but it will be led by Vodafone and Predictable Network Solutions (PNSol). Rather than looking at service speeds, BQED will instead use Quality Attenuation to focus on “addressing factors such as latency, consistency, predictability and reliability.”

Quality Attenuation (QA) is a framework for capturing, measuring, managing and manipulating the performance aspects of networks, as well as the services they enable. Vodafone is understood to have already conducted QA trials over a range of fixed access technologies in its own network, which has helped them to identify performance characteristics that “traditional” packet layer performance techniques and tools failed to spot.

Gavin Young, Head of Voda’s Fixed Access Centre, said:

“As an industry we’ve increased the speed of broadband to one gigabit and beyond, which is a remarkable achievement, but we now have to look beyond speed.

Historically, we have looked at data rate and ping time but now, as new applications place more strain on networks, we need to make the network invisible so users don’t even know it is there – we want to get to a place where everything just works.

That means we need to improve other aspects of quality such as latency, consistency, predictability and reliability, ultimately moving from a fast network to an invisible network.”

Geoff Burke, Broadband Forum CMO, said:

“Our renewed focus on network quality of experience emphasizes Broadband Forum’s commitment to ensuring the whole network – from the Cloud Central Office to the Connected Home – is prepared for growing technologies and trends such as 5G and proliferation of connected devices.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Vodafone UK Hopes to Make Future Broadband Networks Invisible
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »

Quote from: Vodafone
Historically, we have looked at data rate and ping time but now, as new applications place more strain on networks, we need to make the network invisible so users don’t even know it is there – we want to get to a place where everything just works.

That means we need to improve other aspects of quality such as latency, consistency, predictability and reliability, ultimately moving from a fast network to an invisible network.”.”

Hmmm  :hmm:
Almost sounds like something Lee Strafford said about 15 years ago. 
Bit ironic considering how congested parts of Vodafone's backhauls are right now.  :-\

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 04:55:02 PM »

My (Vodafone) network certainly isn't invisible at peak times!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:24:27 AM »

...  and from what I hear you are not alone.

---
I may be overly suspicious, but use of the terminology sounds rather like the implementation of QoS as opposed to more backhaul bandwidth.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »

That's exactly what it means.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »

I just looked at Westie's TBB graph more closely.    That Max latency is straight lining at double the day time latency.   It starts at about 5:30pm and ends at 11:30pm.   That is not 'normal' congestion which you would expect to build up and peak in a similar way to the minimum is doing.

-----

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 07:00:59 PM »

Vodafone's 4G network is certainly invisible where I live. As in 'not there at all' ;D
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »

kitz I have seen virgin media peering congestion cause that behaviour, I guess it depends how network equipment is configured in terms of bufferbloat etc.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 12:40:41 PM »

Looks like wherever the congestion is the queue is set to only wait about 15ms maximum then it lets the small packets through if there's room.

Looks a lot like WFQ with a 15ms maximum wait.

anything