Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Self-driving cars  (Read 9033 times)

josskay

• Just arrived
Self-driving cars
« on: July 26, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »

How they change the the way we live, and what will be the effects on the market

https://tranio.com/world/spotlight/self-driving-mobile-homes-how-driverless-cars-will-change-the-property-market_5354/

Not sure I'd be able to live in the world like this

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: Self-driving cars
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 11:55:58 PM »

With all the recent talk of autonomous vehicles, I have a recurring vision of the narrow suburban road where I once lived. Cars parked on both sides, with spaces between, creating a ten to twenty stage chicane.
Two autonomous cars enter the road from opposite ends...
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:33:28 AM »

A few days ago I read on the BBC News web-site that a pedestrian, walking on the pavement, was knocked over by such a vehicle.  :(  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

josskay

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:45:31 AM »

A few days ago I read on the BBC News web-site that a pedestrian, walking on the pavement, was knocked over by such a vehicle.  :(  :-X

that's bad :( I thought the foremost purpose of such vehicles was to make roads a safer place.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:16 AM »

It all depends  on the ratio compared to human driven cars, do autonomous vehicles have less accidents than human driven cars?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »

One of the biggest problems I see is where there is space for only one car to pass but two of these are facing each other and the obstacles are in such a position there is no way to resolve by reference to the Highway Code, how do they decide which one gives way? At least with humans we can normally work this out assuming both are polite (which is I grant you not always or even usually the case).

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »

It just seems obvious to me.  When all cars are self driving, and one or more self driving cars needs to negotiate an obstruction caused by parked cars, it will simply communicate the problem to the parked cars which will spring into life, all vehicles in unison then follow an optimised sequence of manoeuvres to allow passage, rather like a giant sliding block puzzle.

Other problems will be solved in a similar way.   For example, driving down a narrow Devon lane that has become just too narrow owing to overgrown hedges.   The car will simply solicit assistance from the nearest farm tractor with hedge cutter fitted, which will soon appear (driverless, of  course), blades spinning, clear the obstruction, then retreat to its cosy barn.  The farmer will never know it happened.

:)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »

It just seems obvious to me.  When all cars are self driving, and one or more self driving cars needs to negotiate an obstruction caused by parked cars, it will simply communicate the problem to the parked cars which will spring into life, all vehicles in unison then follow an optimised sequence of manoeuvres to allow passage, rather like a giant sliding block puzzle.

Other problems will be solved in a similar way.   For example, driving down a narrow Devon lane that has become just too narrow owing to overgrown hedges.   The car will simply solicit assistance from the nearest farm tractor with hedge cutter fitted, which will soon appear (driverless, of  course), blades spinning, clear the obstruction, then retreat to its cosy barn.  The farmer will never know it happened.

:)

Yes and pigs might fly  ;)  ::)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »

Autonomous ships anybody?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/news/a27444/yara-kongsberg-autonomous-ships-2020/

We already have autonomous forklift trucks, ok they are in a warehouse environment.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

anything