Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband speed assistance  (Read 1724 times)

sicartd

• Just arrived
Broadband speed assistance
« on: June 15, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »

Guys,

Not sure whether anybody could offer me some advice or pointers here regarding a problem I am currently having with my Broadband downstream rates.

For the past 4 years upto March this year I have experienced a rock solid 3mb download rate. However, late March I noticed my downstream rate had dropped to 600kb and can fluctuate between 120kb and ~700kb.

I have contacted my ISP (Demon) a number of times, and they have managed to send out a BT Openreach engineer on 3 occations. Each engineer has concluded different problems (1 said E side issue, 2 said D side) but they didn't really make any progress and where gone like the wind when their 2 hour allocation was up.

It looks like now both Demon and BT have washed their hands of me, so much so that if I check broadband availability on my phone number I'm told I can't get it !

I'm around 3K from the exchange, and my current stats are;

Downstream: 544kb Upstream: 488kb
SNR: 9
Atten: 57

I don't really accept the conclusion that 'Its as good as it gets' because only a couple of months ago I was getting 600% better.

But I'm at a bit of a loss on how to progress.

I'm currently running a Belkin router, but am purchasing a ST585v6 so I can run DMT tool and try and educate myself with more diagnosis - there are also a number of people on my housing estate also having problems so I plan to collate their stats as well, before I re-open dialog with Demon and BT.

So there it is, sincere apologies for the rambling post, but if anybody has any advice to offer it would be very greatfully appreciated.

Kind Regards
Dave Carter

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Broadband speed assistance
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »

Looks like it's approaching a throttle back, your stats show a long line with 57db loss although it's within 60db the high loss dos'nt help Porbably the e-side was an attempt to find another cable with less loss, the d-side would be the next thing to try.

With 9db snr you should get a higher speed. You probably had some intermitent noise issues pop up which was registered at the exchange which starts cranking the speed back to cope

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm is a good page to start

anything