Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is this a G.fast Pod?  (Read 3047 times)

V_R

• Reg Member
Is this a G.fast Pod?
« on: January 18, 2019, 08:20:12 PM »

Asking on behalf of someone on another forum. Thanks. :)

Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Is this a G.fast Pod?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »

Yes.

edit: not sure actually. not seen that type of pod.

It's different to the other pod with vents only at the bottom.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 04:43:48 PM »

This very similar to the pod that has appeared on my local cabinet this one  has a lock on the side instead of a interlocking mechanism.

Very recently I’ve seen more of these pod types appearing in my area of Yorkshire.

The current thinking is that it may contain active electronics, but none are live at the moment.

Looking at the locks and the vents on the cabinet above however id be more sure that OPs image is a Nokia G.Fast cab compared to mine.
Image of my local cab
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 04:51:57 PM by S.Stephenson »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »

Yes, both images appear to be of pods containing Nokia manufactured electronics.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 05:01:31 PM »

To be honest Im less sure with mine.

The OP has 4 vents vs 3 and has a traditional lock, as well as the top having 90 degree edges vs 45 degree on mine.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

There is more than one configuration of metallic casings, from more than one supplier.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »

I'd be more confident the OP is a G.Fast pod than the 2nd image we discussed a while ago.

I see no logical reason that all the Huawei G.Fast pods are identical but the Nokia pods come in different shells like that.

Every G.Fast pod I've encountered has the type of interlocking mechanism shown in the OP, always on the right of the pod.

That 2nd image is just so different to anything else seen elsewhere.

Of course after saying all that I wouldn't argue that it isn't a G.Fast pod, I just wouldn't have any confidence declaring it as such myself.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

UncleGravy

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »

Hi,

I'm the person that took the pic in OP.

Nothing has been activated in the form of G.Fast checking the usual sites, dslchecker and all that, but that pod was only installed on the 17th Jan so it's still pretty early.

One thing I did mention when I checked roadworks.org, the work reference listed was BC006MU1WGFASTIBY4GRFV01, seems a huge coincidence it has GFAST in the reference code, hopefully that means something good.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »

I think I saw a PCP cabinet today with a pod on each side, one side with a common looking G.fast pod, and the other side looking like S.Stephenson's photo with the yellow circle under a bolt.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »

Noticed that a few PCP’s around where I live are getting reshelled. Each work reference on roadworks.org, has GFAST in it, eg. BC006MU1WGFASTIBY3GPHN01. Works mentioned ductwork going on and when I drove past one of the PCP’s on my way to work, there was a section of barriers. Not sure if there was a pod on the PCP yet though. Presumably if it is for G.fast, the ductwork is for power and a fibre connection? The PCP that I’m connected to was reshelled a while ago, no sign of any work being done to it. Although being around 500m from it (and having I think a decent connection considering the distance), G.fast will be no use to me anyway.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »

I was just looking for an image of a pod that as appeared on my cabinet last week. It's the same pod as the OP's picture, the 4 little vents, lock and attached to the right hand side of the PCP.

As Jon said, there as been a lot of reshelling and re-seating the cabinet jobs that popped up for all the cabinets around the area, though I didn't take close notice of the reference code especially when the job disappeared off roadworks before it was actually done.

If I can get a picture I will soon.

Ok, pic should be attached.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:30:49 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything