Broadband Related > Broadband Hardware

HG612 and VPN

(1/2) > >>

klogg:
Hi, I have an HG612 which is unlocked.

I am trying to set up a VPN on my Unifi USG which is very straight-forward but I have never been able to successfully connect to it (with my Android phone). I strongly suspect it is the HG612 that is causing the problems but despite a reasonable knowledge in Networking it is nowhere near deep enough to troubleshoot this problem.

Are there any settings I should look for? And, I see from here https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm#hg612_hacking that there are two firmwares. I am not sure which I have (although going by the date I would be surprised if it were not the 'New H-Wolf' version). Is there any way to find out by logging into the UI and would it make a difference if I had the 'wrong' one?

In case it is important, I am on domestic BT Broadband Fibre.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Westie:
When you log into the UI on the HG612 you are taken to the page which shows you the current  hardware, software and firmware versions. What does your modem report?

displaced:
Just as a point of reference, I’ve successfully run L2TP, IPSec and now an SSL-based OpenVPN server from behind my unlocked HG612 without any fiddling needed.  The first two were on my FreeBSD server, whilst the OpenVPN server is now hosted by my pfSense-based router.

Out of curiosity, what kind of VPN does the USG provide?

klogg:

--- Quote from: Westie on January 18, 2019, 12:07:36 AM ---When you log into the UI on the HG612 you are taken to the page which shows you the current  hardware, software and firmware versions. What does your modem report?

--- End quote ---

Here are the details (attached screen image)
Thanks for looking.

klogg:

--- Quote from: displaced on January 18, 2019, 08:02:03 AM ---Just as a point of reference, I’ve successfully run L2TP, IPSec and now an SSL-based OpenVPN server from behind my unlocked HG612 without any fiddling needed.  The first two were on my FreeBSD server, whilst the OpenVPN server is now hosted by my pfSense-based router.

Out of curiosity, what kind of VPN does the USG provide?

--- End quote ---

I was setting it up using L2TP and the Radius Server built in to the USG.
If you are interested in how it is set up via the UI on the USG this [ https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005445768-UniFi-USG-VPN-L2TP-Remote-Access-VPN-with-USG-as-RADIUS-Server ] shows how trivial that side of things are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version