Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How would you do this?  (Read 6317 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: How would you do this?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »

Could I pick your brain once more on this.
As I mentioned a few posts back, The line comes in beside the front door where it is jelly crimped to CW1308 cable to the master socket in the hallway.
Because I have to extend this to the new location, Would I be best to pull in a new length of CW1308 cable to the new location to save having two sets of jelly crimped cables along the short run?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 09:29:13 PM »

. . . be best to pull in a new length of CW1308 cable to the new location to save having two sets of jelly crimped cables along the short run?

Yes. That is what I would do, if I was in your situation. Just make sure that the new cable is made with 100% solid copper conductors.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »

Yes. That is what I would do, if I was in your situation. Just make sure that the new cable is made with 100% solid copper conductors.

Yes of course!!
I thought that would be the best way. Before I left for work, I pulled off the cover and could see the existing run of cw1308 appears to run across the back of a power socket so need to reroute this when I pull in the new length.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 09:50:39 PM »

If the telephony/broadband signal carrying cable has to cross over a mains cable, as there is no alternative route, it is best to ensure that they cross at ninety degrees. Then the greater the separation between them, the better.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »

It doesn't have to route across it. It's just the way it has been done . I think it's excess cable left at the back of the wall box so I'm hoping there may be enough to just use this cable to poke through the next wall to save recrimping new cable.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »

I've finally got some time off my sea prison and literally in the door 5 minutes ago.
My aim is to finish this today and tomorrow.

Looking at the space available, I'm don't think I would be able to fit two double gang sockets in normal rotation. I may be able to fit them in vertically but then I would still then need to put my master socket about a foot up the wall.

I'm considering fitting a single socket which I can do by a simple spur and then plugging everything into a surge protector strip seeing as its all my networking equipment. Whats the thoughts on that? Bad idea?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »

My advise is put the gang socket any rotation that you like.
I have an upside down socket in my cupboard as the cable runs up the wall.

Just don't install the master socket and power socket right next to each other. Don't run the power cable parallel to the twisted pair either.
It caused quite a few issues in my property.
I've since moved the power socket and the issues I had disappeared immediately.

Before and after pics attached.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 01:14:54 PM »

Hi John

I'm needing to put in two double sockets so my options are:

1. Fit a single socket spur and then use a 4 gang surge protector which leaves more space for the master socket.
2. Fit two double gang wall sockets and try and figure out somewhere else to put my master socket.

My existing master socket and existing sockets are certainly quite close together just now and when I popped the covers off for a look, It appeared the incoming line was right next to the mains cable.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »

I've used a six way trailing socket fixed to the wall which is powered via my UPS. Its all low power stuff, and not being constantly plugged/unplugged so in my opinion its safe.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »

Yes, I think something similar would be Ok although, I may have found a new place to put my master socket. I'll need a new length of CW1308 again though but may just use a twisted pair from the meters of Cat5e I have left over.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »

Well managed to get it finished off today. Not too happy with how it all is though and I can't really change it.
My plan was to pull in a new cable from the entrance of the line. This was originally extended under the house possibly by the builders to the hall from the front door.

I pulled out my wall sockets and the master to discover the CW1308 is taped along the mains cables. I tried to pull it free but it won't budge so felt it was best left and just punched through the wall with the existing cable.

I've attached a picture of between the wall space.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »

That looks really difficult to fix. :(

Would it be possible to attach a draw-wire to the taped-together mains & CW1308 just at the socket, and pull them all back to the front door (where I assume they are separate)? Maybe then you could remove the tape and use the draw-wire to get the mains cable and Cat5e back to the socket.

On the other hand, it may not be worth the trouble, as they'd still be running alongside each other so you may not gain much.  :(

I don't envy you.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »

I don't think that would be possible as the mains ends up going a different route after a certain point and I have no idea how far back they are stuck together. It wouldnt move in the slightest anyway.
My errors and noise are very low anyway and still getting a sync speed of 71/17 so just left it. If FTTP ever comes, I have no idea how to get it from the entrance of the house to the existing location now.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 06:51:59 PM »

Finally finished!!
It has been a long time coming but due to work commitments, It had to take a back seat. Pretty chuffed with how it has turned out to be fair!
I am tempted to run a new cable for the incoming line though to see if it actually makes any difference. If it does, I may look at putting it in permanently.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »

A final note on this.
After deciding not to run an external cable to see if there was a difference with the stats, I spent a bit of the afternoon running a socket extension from upstairs and killing the power to all downstairs sockets that run near and attached to the CW1308 cable.
After monitoring for a while, I can't really see any change in my stats so that is a positive.
I'll just be leaving alone now and enjoying the new setup.

Thanks all for your valuable advice through my little home project.
Pages: 1 [2] 3