Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation  (Read 20286 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »

Are you still tempted to get an FTTPod quote?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

mentaltom

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2019, 04:51:22 PM »

Are you still tempted to get an FTTPod quote?

Yes. However Cerberus’s systems haven’t updated yet . In fact I mentioned to Openreach that it appears that only the big six ISP groups took the updated availability in real-time.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2019, 05:13:27 PM »

Well you have spent 5k to get to this stage, going 100mbit plus via 2 lines is nothing to feel bad about, you may lose some to crosstalk but two lines will still be faster than one.

Yes I meant two vdsl's for clarification, the existing adsl shouldnt have an impact.

Also for reference, your earlier grievances referencing FTTP, I totally understand and agree with ronski on as well.  I sort of agree with john as well tho, ultimately your developer is the one who will have ordered the copper cabling, but at the same time, for openreach to not offer you a FTTP quote until FTTC installation is paid for and under way I feel is wrong.  Especially given the close proximity of existing FTTP.  But think about the positive and FTTC is still a big boost from ADSL.  Be tempted to not let your neighbours know about the cabinet upgrade so they less likely to crosstalk your lines. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:17:02 PM by Chrysalis »

mentaltom

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »

Well you have spent 5k to get to this stage, going 100mbit plus via 2 lines is nothing to feel bad about, you may lose some to crosstalk but two lines will still be faster than one.

Yes I meant two vdsl's for clarification, the existing adsl shouldnt have an impact.

Also for reference, your earlier grievances referencing FTTP, I totally understand and agree with ronski on as well.  I sort of agree with john as well tho, ultimately your developer is the one who will have ordered the copper cabling, but at the same time, for openreach to not offer you a FTTP quote until FTTC installation is paid for and under way I feel is wrong.  Especially given the close proximity of existing FTTP.  But think about the positive and FTTC is still a big boost from ADSL.  Be tempted to not let your neighbours know about the cabinet upgrade so they less likely to crosstalk your lines. :)

Thanks Chrysalis.  I know, it's turned out OK in the end - I am seen as a local hero in the community and I have spent most of last night and today receiving messages of appreciation.  I am also now aware (after a lot of back and forth) that it was indeed the developer who made the initial mistake almost five years ago of ordering copper without considering that the PCP was the only one in the town not to have a related FTTC cabinet.  This was the only cabinet not upgraded by the government in 2014 because at the time, it only had about 48 copper connections to it, and most of them were farmhouses 1m+ away (20) (anyone would think I'd researched these stats :graduate:).  Therefore, these farmhouses ended up getting FTTP from pole manifolds, and phase 2+ of my development got native FTTP also.  It was very frustrating - while FTTC is a great advancement, the fact of the matter is that apart from my initial phase of new builds, all other properties, new and old, have native FTTP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »

Yeah the situation is ridiculous, really openreach shouldnt even be deploying FTTC in 2019, especially non vectored VDSL.  But its still a thing due to ofcom and them needing to support copper as well as high cost pressures on openreach.  I expect in a unregulated market in 2015 your developer wouldnt have even had a option for copper from openreach, it would have been considered obsolete.

Hopefully the aggregation point is really close by so the FTTPoD quote is low.

mentaltom

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2019, 06:08:18 PM »

I know where the agg. node is, it's 4 doors down from me - M. J Quinn showed it to me when they were running fibre BACK PAST MY HOUSE to the Cabinet...!  :-X

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »

I know where the agg. node is, it's 4 doors down from me - M. J Quinn showed it to me when they were running fibre BACK PAST MY HOUSE to the Cabinet...!  :-X

So close yet so far!
I understand your frustration as I'd be pretty annoyed too.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

max360

• Just arrived
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »

Congrats. I self funded my local cabinet back in 2018 @ cost of £4684. Months later OR announced the fibre first program. Then couple of months later OR contractors started installing the CBT's on the poles, now the native FTTP is available and so is the FTTC.

mentaltom

« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2019, 12:56:18 AM »

Congrats. I self funded my local cabinet back in 2018 @ cost of £4684. Months later OR announced the fibre first program. Then couple of months later OR contractors started installing the CBT's on the poles, now the native FTTP is available and so is the FTTC.

Hey Max. Oh  that is an interesting one - very similar price to me too. It seems illogical that they then went back to install FTTP as it’s unlikely they would have had ROI on the cabinet yet ? I have actually asked for an FTTP quotation through CFP too. They quoted £8000 for me alone , so assuming it’ll be out of my reach to pay again for the whole development . Just wish they had offered it first and told me that so much FTTP was deployed around me !

mentaltom

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2019, 07:10:11 PM »

Hey All. Well the time has come, and I am due to be live tomorrow. I’ll be out at work when the service goes live, and at the moment I am using the sky hub as my modem.  However, I will want to migrate away from this as quickly as possible and begin to use a huawei hg612. This means that over the course of the next couple of days, there are likely to be a few disconnections as I install, configure and test the modem with my existing infrastructure.  I wonder if you would recommend against doing this if this will make various systems believe my line is unstable and drop my speed? In this event, would it be easy for me to call my ISP and ask them to reset the line training once setup is complete ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »

There is no configuration necessary on the HG612. It just plugs in and works.
It is a modem only and only handles the DSL link, thus working across all FTTC ISP's without any setup.

Multiple resyncs/reboots either on your Sky Hub or the HG612 are indeed seen as instability by the DLM.
Rebooting any router connected to the HG612 has no impact on the DLM.
DLM action for too many resyncs is capping the line (known as banding).
DLM can take a very long time to remove this banding.

My advice is either make any changes offline or keep the HG612 synced at all times when making config changes/reboots on the router.

If you plan to unlock the HG612 with modified firmware to access the stats then this should be done when the device isn't connected to the phone line.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 07:40:51 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mentaltom

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »

Thank you.

The modem is flashed to the webgui. I haven’t made any configuration changes to it, with the exception of assigning it a LAN static IP to remote into the webgui, as I believe by default it’ll get one from my DHCP server and this could change. Additionally I will change the modem IP address as this is currently 192.168.1.1 and this is my routers address and clients default gateway. Ideally, I’d want the webgui interface to be accessible only on my management VLAN. Hence there being a couple of potential reboots. To keep this to a minimum I’ll ensure all configuration is done prior to switching from the sky hub to the modem.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2019, 09:39:54 PM »

Everything j0hn has said, above, and one suggestion from me . . .

Whilst you are logged into the HG612's GUI, make a point of deleting the VLAN tagged 301. That is the "back channel" which was used by the BTagent and the means by which Opereach and/or BT Group would monitor the circuit's behaviour.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mentaltom

« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2019, 02:07:47 PM »

Thank you both. I’ll leave the sky hub in place until next week as I am away for work from thus evening anyway until Tuesday. I am live!!!

Sorry for the basic stats.....went live at about midday exactly and of course I caught the engineer at the PCP for a chat! Rock solid so far, although I do hope over time I’ll be able to creep up over the 70mb barrier ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2019, 03:47:33 PM »

Finally connected, great news, you'll easily get over 70 with dBx, just depends how hard cross talk affects you as overs sign up.

I never used to worry about a few disconnections and never had any issues, I think you need quite a few to upset the DLM. The advise used to be to power off the modem and not to power it back up for a least 30 minutes.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9