Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation  (Read 20282 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2019, 01:16:25 PM »

That's frustrating,  power supply issues can cause long delays  :no:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

mentaltom

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »

That's frustrating,  power supply issues can cause long delays  :no:

I know. It’s getting to the stable now where I feel like just cancelling my order and looking at alternative solutions such as a 4G antenna. But of course I am committed to paying Openreach unless I were to take legal action to recover my funds.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »

Power supply issues/cost has been known to cause cabinets to be removed as its proved too expensive to get power to them. Worse case the new cab could be cancelled, but that could mean FTTP becomes an option I suppose.

mentaltom

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »

That would almost be heartbreaking considering I placed the order for the cab 14 months ago and all other work has been completed. As you say the small blessing would be that they may reconsider my pleas to run FTTP which would not require all of these prerequisites. But it’s the sheer lead time involved. I’ll have been in this house for 4 years in November and I am potentially facing redundancy if I cannot commit to being able to access all the systems I require for work effectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Delay Again.  Openreach informed that the proposed cable route for power would not be suitable.  This is the 3rd time that this has been the reason for the delay. All other work is complete. :'(
Don't lose hope they should sort it.  I watched my none working cabinet for a good 24 months whilst they sorted out power but they got it sorted in the end.  Extremely frustrating though.  I would hope with their experience now, sorting out power issues would be much quicker than what was several years ago.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »

Do you get decent reception on Three mobile? If so might be worth giving that a go for the short term.

mentaltom

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »

Do you get decent reception on Three mobile? If so might be worth giving that a go for the short term.

I have been looking into that. I left three a couple of years ago in favour of Vodafone, because the signal isn’t great in my property. In an effort to appease me Openreach also offered me a 4G solution on EE which I also don’t find very reliable in my area. However my mobile which is currently on Vodafone is Superfast!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »

It's a shame Vodafone don't do  decent data Sim, otherwise that would tide you over.

mentaltom

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »

Just been speaking to a company called phonemasters who are local and have been on site today finishing off the cables. They have informed me that they have had to highlight on their job notes that the length of the tie cables between the PCP and the DSLAM is 105m.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2019, 02:42:53 PM »

Seems odd they didn't just put it next to the PCP, unless there's something underground there, or issues getting power there.

mentaltom

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2019, 02:51:58 PM »

There would have been absolutely no issues getting power there - in fact there is a power supply there.  The reason they didn't was allegedly owing to planning, because the height of the DSLAM is significantly higher than the boundary wall of properties behind it.  However, these properties were built after mine - so if they're installed along with the rest of the town, this would have been a non-issue.  Proper, Prior, Planning, Prevents...... ::)

mentaltom

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »

New live date provided of 8 May 2019.

Power work is to commence this Thursday 18 April and run right through the bank holiday weekend or until finished. As soon as this is done final checks can be completed and the cabinet can be marked as live.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2019, 10:45:22 PM »

There would have been absolutely no issues getting power there - in fact there is a power supply there.

I had to go back to the Google street-view image of the old, cast-iron, PCP 25 in which a lamppost can be seen close-by, to the right.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mentaltom

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »

I had to go back to the Google street-view image of the old, cast-iron, PCP 25 in which a lamppost can be seen close-by, to the right.  :)

Yes exactly ! Real pain! Aww it makes me sad to see the now deceased cast iron cabinet on your link. But onwards and upwards :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2019, 06:09:58 AM »

That's excellent news, let's hope it goes to plan  :fingers:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

anything