Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation  (Read 20279 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »

That's my thoughts to John, but with more fftp and of course wide spread fttc cabinet's that method is failing. Surely they know the location of their aggregation nodes and they could cross reference with addresses and therefore show FTTPod as available when a node is within a given radius.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

mentaltom

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:35 PM »

I was just reading this article:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/03/persimmon-sues-bt-over-unpaid-bill-for-new-homes-infrastructure.html#comment-201924

and it really reminded me of my situation.  I'm about to post a little diagram I marked up in about 5 seconds in Paint, which shows the infrastructure layout of my house, with the house 3 doors down having FTTP.  With this in mind, should I still take my £8,000 quotation for FTTP seriously, or do you think OR would actually just run a bit of fibre from the nearest DP to my door?  I know that interconnecting ducts are already present.

mentaltom

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 11:27:24 PM »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »

I'm about to post a little diagram I marked up in about 5 seconds in Paint, which shows the infrastructure layout of my house, with the house 3 doors down having FTTP.  With this in mind, should I still take my £8,000 quotation for FTTP seriously, or do you think OR would actually just run a bit of fibre from the nearest DP to my door?  I know that interconnecting ducts are already present.

I assume the £8,000 is based on FTTC being live on your cab and is just a desktop survey.

Experience of others has shown than when Openreach carry out a proper survey (which they charge for under FTToD), then costs usually tend to drop quite a bit.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »

The £8000 quote was a CFP quote for FTTP that was received after a CFP order of an FTTC cabinet was placed.

FTTPoD would likely be much much cheaper than the CFP quote if the infrastructure is actually as laid out above.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:32:55 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mentaltom

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »

The £8000 quote was a CFP quote for FTTP that was received after a CFP order if an FTTC cabinet was ordered.

FTTPoD would likely be much much cheaper than the CFP quote if the infrastructure is actually as laid out above.

Thanks John - although the node/Fibre DP was present at the time the quote was produced.  It has been present for over 2 years now.

mentaltom

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 11:41:58 AM »

April 2019 Update: after being told by a Openreach of further delays beyond March, I think I should finally be able to order FTTC on 15th April. Openreach have pulled it out of the bag this week having back to back works for power, PCP reshell and tie cable jointing. On speaking with the contractors they will be reshelling the PCP and adding a “pod” to the side of it to house the tie cable blocks. ISPs can also see an availability date of 13 April. The image below is of the old PCP with its doors blown off in preparation for it being removed and reshelled (yesterday):

While I wait patiently for one more week, I have been using BT Wholesale checker and CodeLook to try to predict my distance from the DSLAM and therefore speed. Are there any other online checkers available that can provide me with technical details or a distance calculator for my line? I have a feeling I will receive about 65MB/18MB and so if ordering two services I’ll be able to bond them to 130/36.  This is using the BTW Checker address search:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:45:17 AM by mentaltom »

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »

Hi

While I wait patiently for one more week, I have been using BT Wholesale checker and CodeLook to try to predict my distance from the DSLAM and therefore speed. Are there any other online checkers available that can provide me with technical details or a distance calculator for my line? I have a feeling I will receive about 65MB/18MB and so if ordering two services I’ll be able to bond them to 130/36.  This is using the BTW Checker address search:

There is nothing that will predict the speeds any more accurately than the checker you have used, and there are so many variables it is why they give that wide range.

Some things to keep in mind.  We assume you'll be one of the first people on that cabinet, so no cross talk and you'll likely get something close to the maximum 80/20.  If you have two lines, they will cross talk with each other, and then as each new person takes up a service, you'll speeds will likely take a drop due to additional cross-talk.  VDSL like ADSL is a poor technology, it's a kludge to get data over old infrastructure and you may start of good, but things will likely slow down over time as others take the service.  This is why you have a at best figure and a lower figure, it's not unusual to start of the top extreme and over time trickle down to the lower :-(

Regards

Phil

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »

You can use Google maps to measure the most likely route using what information you know. There are no tools available that I know of regarding premises to cab distance.  If you know an engineer they can look up the distance for you, but it's not a good guide for what speed you'll get, that depends on many variables.

mentaltom

Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 04:48:44 PM »

The new PCP, just finished:

Before:

mentaltom

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 05:05:21 PM »

Hi

There is nothing that will predict the speeds any more accurately than the checker you have used, and there are so many variables it is why they give that wide range.

Some things to keep in mind.  We assume you'll be one of the first people on that cabinet, so no cross talk and you'll likely get something close to the maximum 80/20.  If you have two lines, they will cross talk with each other, and then as each new person takes up a service, you'll speeds will likely take a drop due to additional cross-talk.  VDSL like ADSL is a poor technology, it's a kludge to get data over old infrastructure and you may start of good, but things will likely slow down over time as others take the service.  This is why you have a at best figure and a lower figure, it's not unusual to start of the top extreme and over time trickle down to the lower :-(

Regards

Phil

Thanks Both. Having used google maps measurer along a number of potential routes, even a worse case scenario route would equate to about 296m line length, a logical route would be 196m, and a crow flies route would be 103m.  I know VDSL is old technology, and I am sure I have ranted about that in a couple of posts above, but that's what they sold me! Just posted some photos from the reshell. 

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »

It's a bit odd that your estimate is what it is, given those distances and that the estate is only a few years old so safe to assume you actually do have copper phone lines, you also will have g.inp and dB X I would have thought you'd easily get 80/20.

mentaltom

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 09:13:41 PM »

It's a bit odd that your estimate is what it is, given those distances and that the estate is only a few years old so safe to assume you actually do have copper phone lines, you also will have g.inp and dB X I would have thought you'd easily get 80/20.

Thanks Ronski. When the service is actually live and I can post router stats, I will probably have to ask you more about g.inp and dB X , as I am actually not sure I how much control I have on that and what it does. I infer you mean that as the cabinet is just installed these technologies will be live on the DSLAM from the outset ? Tom

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »

They are not live at the outset of a new connection, new connections have interleaving applied, then after a few days/weeks g.inp normally kicks in, then if not at full sync and the line can support it the target SNR is gradually dropped from 6 to 3 in stages of 1dB so long as the line can support it and is below the maximum  package speed.

ECI cabinets don't support g.inp or dB X, luckily for you they stopped installing ECI years ago and now only install Huawei cabinets.

There's not much you can do to control it, you can force a lower sync, but others know far more about that than I do.

mentaltom

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: Delay Again.  Openreach informed that the proposed cable route for power would not be suitable.  This is the 3rd time that this has been the reason for the delay. All other work is complete. :'(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9