Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation  (Read 20272 times)

mentaltom

Re: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 09:51:47 AM »

His anger is pointed in the correct direction, he contributed nearly £5k towards the cabinet and was not offered fftp. If I'd done that and felt it had taken far too long I'd complain to the CEO.

Oh believe me I have. They say “let’s get the cabinet in then we will discuss the complaint”.

Thanks to all again for their input.

Yes - some parties may well be being economical with the truth, but I have no recourse. I’m just totally burnt out I’m afraid I can barely think about it without becoming frustrated at the whole situation and all parties.

Tom

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 10:21:05 AM »

Hopefully the works will go ahead in April as now planned  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 10:25:21 AM »

His anger is pointed in the correct direction, he contributed nearly £5k towards the cabinet and was not offered fftp. If I'd done that and felt it had taken far too long I'd complain to the CEO.

I can understand blaming OpenReach for the 2 month delay in his FTTC.

What makes you think he should have been offered FTTP though?
He originally wasn't on an FTTC cabinet so FTTPoD wasn't available.
If he wanted to pay twice then when FTTC is active FTTPoD will become available.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mentaltom

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »

He originally wasn't on an FTTC cabinet so FTTPoD wasn't available.
If he wanted to pay twice then when FTTC is active FTTPoD will become available.

Thank John. So it will definitely be the case that as soon as the cabinet is live I will be able to order FTTPoD? I have had another quotation from Openreach for FTTP (joined to the node serving the second phase properties - £8000 - they must think I’m on Mr Selley’s salary!)

I just wish I’d been offered the FTTP for £8000 in the first place and then I could have used another Government grant for it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »

Yes FTTPoD is only available to those connected to an FTTC cabinet.

When FTTC is live you can get a free desktop (rough) quote and it's £250+vat for a full survey that will give a fixed price.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:53 PM »

From what he has said in the past, he implied that when he started looking into better broadband he was only offered the option of paying towards FTTC, only later being offered FTTP under the community fibre partnership when it was too late as he'd committed to FTTC. I believe that the FTTC was negotiated after newer houses on the same estate had FTTP installed but mentaltom was unaware of this at the time. Don't most companies have a duty of care to at least make someone aware there are better options?

mentaltom

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »

Yes FTTPoD is only available to those connected to an FTTC cabinet.

When FTTC is live you can get a free desktop (rough) quote and it's £250+vat for a full survey that will give a fixed price.

Thanks John. For some reason I thought that by default FTTPoD wouldn’t show as available on the wholesale checker unless OR has actually changed such a flag. But if it is as soon as the FTTC is live I may as well get a quote. Not that I am going to hold you to a recommendation, but what ISP would you recommend I go through to get a desktop quotation started ? On FTTP I’d be looking for a 150 or 300 down service. Unlimited usage.

mentaltom

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »

From what he has said in the past, he implied that when he started looking into better broadband he was only offered the option of paying towards FTTC, only later being offered FTTP under the community fibre partnership when it was too late as he'd committed to FTTC. I believe that the FTTC was negotiated after newer houses on the same estate had FTTP installed but mentaltom was unaware of this at the time. Don't most companies have a duty of care to at least make someone aware there are better options?

That’s right Ronski. The FTTP quote through CFP was £8000. The FTTC was £5000. I got £800 of the £5000 back through government. However if I had had the option of FTTP at the time, I would have used the governments ultrafast voucher scheme of £3000, effectively making it only £800 more to go for FTTP. While the FTTC is benefiting other residents, quite frankly when I am paying for it, I have the right to be selfish and have had FTTP for me only with maybe a few other residents benefiting as a result of passthrough.

Thank you for both you inputs - both equally as valuable to me :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 05:57:04 PM »

There are several big threads following on from one another on Think Broadband forums regarding FTTP (link to latest), most seem to have gone through www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk but there are a few other options which I'm sure someone will mention.

PS. It used to be the case that FTTPod was only avaiable on a few exchanges, now I think it's pretty much all exhanges, but only ever if connected by an FTTC enabled cabinet.

mentaltom

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 02:24:09 PM »

Thanks - I am keeping an eye on that thread. I'd have hoped my quotation would be at the lower end of the scale, and ironically I would have expected that running fibre from the node in existence for my neighbours who have FTTP by default (fed from the same manhole as where my copper DP resides!) would be easier than running fibre from the new cabinet through FTTPoD.  I dread to think what timescales will be though, if it's taken 15 months to install one cabinet.

The latest from Openreach is that they expect the FTTC cabinet will be ready for service by 5 April 2019, and that compensation will be discussed after that date.  I don't really want financial compensation, I would prefer that FTTP is installed and was originally offered to me.  I think I will be combining a primary and a secondary FTTC connection in order to create an "Ultrafast" style service - well, that's what I have set up for, anyway.

mentaltom

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »

mentaltom

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »

and ironically I would have expected that running fibre from the node in existence for my neighbours who have FTTP by default (fed from the same manhole as where my copper DP resides!) would be easier than running fibre from the new cabinet through FTTPoD.

They don't run the fibre from the cabinet, they run it from the nearest aggregation node (quite possibly the one supplying your neighbours), which is why having to be supplied by an FTTC cabinet doesn't make sense and must stop some ordering FTTPod when its close by but not on an FTTC cab just like you.

Nice setup with the networking equipment, it's got a satifying symetry.

mentaltom

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 08:30:25 PM »

Thanks Ronski. Yes symmetry is my thing. Just a shame that neither modem are connected at the other end , and that clunky Sky all-in-one is serving my ADSL!

Ah, that’s exactly what I thought, I didn’t think they’d run Fibre from the cab. But just has no idea otherwise why FTTC was a prerequisite!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 06:35:33 AM »

There's no physical need for FTTC at all to supply FTTPoD.

They simply make it a requirement as it (usually) suggests there is an aggregation node within a suitable distance.

It was probably the easiest way they could make FTTPoD available on a wide scale without accidentally making it show available to those who it wouldn't be suitable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9