Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation  (Read 20293 times)

mentaltom

Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:32:47 PM »

Hey All.  May remember me from my previous post "Before & After the DSLAM Linecard FTTC".  I am so happy to confirm that soon I will no longer be in the 3% of the population without access to fibre based DSL services!  BTO (Morrisons) begun work on my DSLAM (at a cost of £4780 to myself) yesterday.  In actual fact, although it looks like they're making a good job of it, the DSLAM is not in the location that I expected it to be.  I am going to attach some pictures I have taken this evening for my and others' interest.  My main question is that with the DSLAM potentially being another 60m away from the PCP (and the copper potentially doubling back on itself), is this another 60m whacked onto my line length over if the DSLAM had been placed right next to the cabinet? Hopefully will be able to use this thread as a bit of a "journey to FTTC" for those who're interested!

EDIT: Sorry, I have given up trying to add the images inline, link is below:

https://imgur.com/a/QvLUGjN
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:36:49 PM by mentaltom »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 10:23:55 PM »

Yes it will make your line 60 meters longer, the copper doubling back makes no difference as the VDSL signal travels from the fibre cab to PCP then to your home.

Whether it makes any difference to your potential speeds depends how far you are away and the quality of your line.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

mentaltom

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:22:57 AM »

Thank you. Oh, not very good placement then, I wonder why it was decided that this would be the most suitable location!? My line quality is very good - at the moment I receive 15mb down / 1 up on ADSL when my line length is 3km from the exchange - most ISPs estimate I will only receive between 6-8mb. So I expect that the whole line is of good quality - the line between the PCP and the house is less than 4 years old. 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:35:44 AM »

100m is apparently the max distance, but the closer the better really.

60m is quite long.

It shouldn't make a huge difference to your speeds.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mentaltom

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »

Stood today!

mentaltom

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »

Thanks John.

Also just been informed that the PCP needs a reshell, I could have told them that in 2016 and not 20 days before the deadline!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »

Also just been informed that the PCP needs a reshell, I could have told them that in 2016 and not 20 days before the deadline!

Having just taken a look, with the aid of Google's Street View, I see a twin-door, cast-iron, PCP. There certainly will not be enough space inside for the deployment of the tie-cables!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mentaltom

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »

Having just taken a look, with the aid of Google's Street View, I see a twin-door, cast-iron, PCP. There certainly will not be enough space inside for the deployment of the tie-cables!

Thank you - I knew it, you knew it. God knows why OR didn’t think of it until now!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 04:26:02 PM »

It will need to be done before the tie-cables can be pulled through the ducts. The actual re-shelling process does not take that long . . . the problem will come if it isn't documented on the work-sheet.  ::)

mentaltom

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 11:44:31 PM »

Hey All.  Thought it would be useful to give you an update on this situation. It goes without saying that the deadline of 13 February came and went, the cabinet still has no tie cables installed and no power source. In addition, the cabinet has still not been reshelled.  I got a message from Openreach today to say that this has been booked in for the first week in April. In other words, the delivery will be well over 2 months late. Not only that but it will have been over 3 years since I originally enquired about FTTC in my new build home.  Those opposite me who are on a newer phase are laughing as they had FTTP installed by default. I feel quite frankly sick that Openreach have wasted so much of my time and money and don’t have any sense of urgency delivering what I contributed towards.  I would be interested to know if anyone else has had experience with OR so miserably failing to meet their deadlines, they had 12 months to deploy one cabinet.  Not only that, but they only offered me FTTC. It was only after I signed the contract that they then offered me another quotation for FTTP. I appreciate that it is a first world problem, but I am so frustrated with the whole situation - thank you for your patience with me!!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:14:19 AM »

Your frustration with the events, both those which have happened and those which have not, is understandable.  :(

Please keep us updated, as appropriate.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:52:19 AM »

Your anger is justified, but it is pointed in the wrong direction.

Your developer ordered a copper only service when they built your home, and that's what OpenReach installed.
They ordered FTTP for the new phase and that's what OpenReach installed.

OpenReach are no more obligated to provide you with SuperFast broadband than Virgin or CityFibre are.
Why are you not mad at them for not providing you this?

I'd be grateful OpenReach are covering me when nobody else will.
I'd be annoyed my developer was so short sighted and wouldn't contribute to FTTC or FTTP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mentaltom

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 02:02:16 AM »

Your developer ordered a copper only service when they built your home, and that's what OpenReach installed.
They ordered FTTP for the new phase and that's what OpenReach installed.

OpenReach are no more obligated to provide you with SuperFast broadband than Virgin or CityFibre are.
Why are you not mad at them for not providing you this?

I'd be grateful OpenReach are covering me when nobody else will.
I'd be annoyed my developer was so short sighted and wouldn't contribute to FTTC or FTTP.

Thanks both of you. I can assure you that I am equally as exasperated with the developer. However at this moment in time I have formally contracted with Openreach. I do feel guilty that I am holding them solely responsible for the situation when a number of timing factors are involved - e.g BDUK plans drawn up pre my development, FTTP not being a default offering in 2014, FTTP then being a default offering in 2016 and so on. One thing I can tell you truthfully is that it is certainly a situation I have done my best to overcome and is not of my doing. The cabinet serving my property was the only one not to be upgraded in 2014 by BDUK, as at this time there were only 25 properties on the PCP. Doubly ironically, It was thought best for BDUK to provide these old (not new build) homes with FTTP, as this would be cheaper than installing a DSLAM to just serve 25 people. That was prior to the 375 homes built in 2015 with copper. And then came Fibre First for the second phase of new build. I’m on a copper island!

My developer have claimed that in 2014 when they were ordering telephony provision for the site, Openreach still only installed copper by default. FTTP was available but at many many more times the cost, and wasn’t considered by any developer at the time. However the new homes I allude to opposite me were planned in 2016, when Openreach’s focus shifted to their Fibre first programme and hence subsidised the cost of FTTP to bring it in line with Copper.

So - 3 stories from 3 different organisations - Developer, BDUK, Openreach. Who do you fancy believing today?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 02:28:21 AM »

My developer have claimed that in 2014 when they were ordering telephony provision for the site, Openreach still only installed copper by default. FTTP was available but at many many more times the cost, and wasn’t considered by any developer at the time.

While its true, Openreach wasn't providing FTTP as standard (i.e. free) on new builds until 2016, one might suggest the developer is being economical with the truth - a quick google shows estates being built prior to 2015 with FTTP - here is one example from 2013.

It would be down to the choice of the developer to choose what service Openreach installed - some were definitely opting for FTTP even back then.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »

His anger is pointed in the correct direction, he contributed nearly £5k towards the cabinet and was not offered fftp. If I'd done that and felt it had taken far too long I'd complain to the CEO.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

anything