Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

Cabinet 25 DSLAM Installation

(1/27) > >>

mentaltom:
Hey All.  May remember me from my previous post "Before & After the DSLAM Linecard FTTC".  I am so happy to confirm that soon I will no longer be in the 3% of the population without access to fibre based DSL services!  BTO (Morrisons) begun work on my DSLAM (at a cost of £4780 to myself) yesterday.  In actual fact, although it looks like they're making a good job of it, the DSLAM is not in the location that I expected it to be.  I am going to attach some pictures I have taken this evening for my and others' interest.  My main question is that with the DSLAM potentially being another 60m away from the PCP (and the copper potentially doubling back on itself), is this another 60m whacked onto my line length over if the DSLAM had been placed right next to the cabinet? Hopefully will be able to use this thread as a bit of a "journey to FTTC" for those who're interested!

EDIT: Sorry, I have given up trying to add the images inline, link is below:

https://imgur.com/a/QvLUGjN

Ronski:
Yes it will make your line 60 meters longer, the copper doubling back makes no difference as the VDSL signal travels from the fibre cab to PCP then to your home.

Whether it makes any difference to your potential speeds depends how far you are away and the quality of your line.

mentaltom:
Thank you. Oh, not very good placement then, I wonder why it was decided that this would be the most suitable location!? My line quality is very good - at the moment I receive 15mb down / 1 up on ADSL when my line length is 3km from the exchange - most ISPs estimate I will only receive between 6-8mb. So I expect that the whole line is of good quality - the line between the PCP and the house is less than 4 years old. 

j0hn:
100m is apparently the max distance, but the closer the better really.

60m is quite long.

It shouldn't make a huge difference to your speeds.

mentaltom:

Stood today!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version