Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New cabinet / DSLAM - will local lines be moved?  (Read 6256 times)

Bobsta

New cabinet / DSLAM - will local lines be moved?
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »

I've posted before about how I'm in the unfortunate position of living approximately 1.2km from my cabinet - with a line length of 1485m (as reported by GEA test).

However, today I noticed what appears to be some very good news - a report of a new cabinet being installed less than 100m from my house - https://roadworks.org/?111974693
(my current cabinet - #7 - is located by the golf club to the bottom-left of the map)

I'd appreciate your collective wisdom on whether this really is what I hope it is from the description ("HARTLEY WINTNEY 10 - DSLAM 597996 - STREET CABINET and POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay approx 2m BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab.")... and also, whether it would be Openreach standard practice to migrate over local lines to this DSLAM once installed. There are no new properties being built in the area so I'm hopeful.

Edited to add: Checking here, it looks positive that this could be cabinet P10 - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=343802&cabinets=12373

Many thanks,

Bobsta
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:48:28 PM by Bobsta »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New cabinet / DSLAM - will local lines be moved?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:54:41 PM »

I'd appreciate your collective wisdom on whether this really is what I hope it is from the description ("HARTLEY WINTNEY 10 - DSLAM 597996 - STREET CABINET and POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay approx 2m BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab.")...

Yes, it is.  :)

Could it be an in-fill cabinet?  :shrug2:

Edited to add: Checking here, it looks positive that this could be cabinet P10 - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=343802&cabinets=12373

Yes, it could be. I prescribe a walk around the area, taking a close interest in any spray-paint markings on the ground, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:25 PM »

Due to be completed May 2019.

If it is an infill cabinet then it needs a live-to-live migration of all the lines on the old cabinet to the new cabinet.
This needs coordinated with every ISP who has a customer being moved so can take many weeks/months.

They all need moved at the same time or the 2 competing signals/power levels from different FTTC cabinets can cause problems.

As to what specific properties are likely to be connected to this new cabinet I have no idea.

There are members on ThinkBroadband who are sometimes kind enough to look up info from sources not available to the public.
MrSaffron is also often very helpful in attempting to work out which streets are likely to be moved to new cabinets by looking through their coverage database.

It might be worth posting this over there on the Fibre Broadband section and asking if anyone can provide any info. The exchange name, the 2 cabinet numbers and the roadworks.org link should be enough to go on.

Without knowing the current cable routes that the copper takes and spending a considerable time looking up estimates for properties in the area, I would not be able to say with any certainty what lines are likely to be moved.

The roadworks page makes no mention of dimensions to establish the cabinet type, but the mention of only 1 plinth suggests an All In One cabinet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bobsta

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:52:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

This evening I noticed the cones had been cleared away to reveal a shiny new All-In-One cabinet:

It's placed right by some existing below-ground junction boxes (I've seen Openreach engineers working in these in the past - I believe it's where overhead pole-strung lines are joined to lines in underground ducting into the village)

There are also additional works listed on roadworks.org planned for April: "HARTLEY WINTNEY 10 - DSLAM 591270 - Overlay – Lay approx 50m of Duct 54/56 in VERGE to link existing BT Boxes to facilitate spine cabling works."
https://roadworks.org/?111855989
https://roadworks.org/?111855588
https://roadworks.org/?111855991

I estimate there are approximately 40-50 properties which could be served by this cabinet, all of which have existed for 50+ years... and there are no new developments on the horizon.

Looking up our postcode on hampshiresuperfastbroadband.com gives the result:
Code: [Select]
The cabinet which serves this address has been upgraded to fibre by the Hampshire Superfast Broadband Programme.
You may therefore be able to get superfast broadband.

Our records indicate that once the upgrade has been completed, some properties will be too far away from the upgraded infrastructure to access superfast services.
Hampshire County Council is awaiting further information from Government about how to address this issue.

Appreciate the input folks. I'll head over to TBB to see if anyone's able to shed any light on whether our lines will be migrated or I'll be needing to play the game of ordering a second line in order to get served by this new cab.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »

That all looks to be quite positive.  :)

Thank you for sharing that update.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »

Appreciate the input folks. I'll head over to TBB to see if anyone's able to shed any light on whether our lines will be migrated or I'll be needing to play the game of ordering a second line in order to get served by this new cab.

Just a heads up that that isn't a possibility.

Either your line will be part of those being moved or it won't. Ordering a 2nd line would see it served by the same cabinet as OpenReach have designated to your address.
It's not possible to have a 2nd line from a different cabinet.

With what you have said above it seems extremely unlikely this cabinet wouldn't cover your property.

It would need the live-to-live migration I described above as the new cabinet cannot be activated for new lines until the existing FTTC lines have been transferred first.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:30:06 PM by j0hn »

Bobsta

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »

Either your line will be part of those being moved or it won't. Offering a 2nd line would see it served by the same cabinet as OpenReach have designated to your address.
It's not possible to have a 2nd line from a different cabinet.

Ah OK, thanks for the info - that's definitely worth knowing (albeit rather annoying!).

With what you have said above it seems extremely unlikely this cabinet wouldn't cover your property.

It would need the live-to-live migration I described above as the new cabinet cannot be activated for new lines until the existing FTTC line have been transferred first.

Thanks - fingers crossed. I guess I just need to sit tight (whilst keeping a lookout for Openreach vans  ;))

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »

If you work out the most likely route your line takes from home to your existing fibre cab does it pass the new cabinet, if so then its highly likely you will be transferred to it. If your between the new cab and the old cab then it is much less likely you'll be on the new cab.

Basically they cut the lines that pass the new cab and join them into the new cab, so if your before that point you will be out of luck, after that point and your line will be fed from the new cab.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bobsta

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »

Thanks Ronski, makes sense. Fortunately my house is about 50m past the new cab, and I know my line goes (overhead) another 80m up the road before going underground and then coming back pretty much under the new cab. Total line length is probably under 250m to the new cab, so that's positive.  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 11:51:56 AM »

Sounds very promising then, keep an eye on the wholesale checker, at some point your cabinet number and estimate should change.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:15 AM »

What he says ^^^
It often changes before any migration work has been done so don't jump the gun and try order anything!

The move of cabinets will be automatic, you may not even be informed.

It will give confirmation your line is being moved before it happens though.

Bobsta

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »

Minor update... earlier today I noticed my internet connection drop and my phone line went dead. I wandered down to the street to the new cabinet to see if anything was going on. Sure enough this chap was in a trench surrounded by bundles of copper pairs:

I said hello and he apologised for the service interruption saying he was connecting us to the new cabinet for "fast Internet" and we should be reconnected in a couple of minutes. I mentioned that I thought that wasn't happening until May and he said "nope, it's happening now!". So I merrily wandered back to my house.

By the time I got home my connection was active again ... but alas, still at the old sync speed. So my assumption is this is only the first step of the connection in that our pairs are now going through the cabinet's IDC connections - but aren't connected to the DSLAM yet. Is that vaguely right?

Nothing's changed on the BTW ADSLchecker (still says Cab 7). So I guess I just sit tight until one day the magic happens.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »

By the time I got home my connection was active again ... but alas, still at the old sync speed. So my assumption is this is only the first step of the connection in that our pairs are now going through the cabinet's IDC connections - but aren't connected to the DSLAM yet. Is that vaguely right?

Yes, correct. You should not have suffered a disconnection or noticed any aspect of the teeing and re-jumpering. Hence I am able to say that an unfortunate "mishap" had occurred.  ::)

Nothing's changed on the BTW ADSLchecker (still says Cab 7). So I guess I just sit tight until one day the magic happens.

Yes, once again.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »

Sounds like you're now physically connected to the new cabinet.
The engineer seems unaware of the process for migrating lines on infill cabinets, unless it has changed very recently.

AFAIK it will still require the live-to-live migration discussed earlier in the thread.

Bobsta

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 03:16:04 PM »

I avoided posting blow-by-blow updates to this thread... but to cut a long story short, everything proceeded in an orderly fashion;

- On 29 Jan the broadband availability checker was updated to show my line was served by Cabinet 10 (not 7, as previously) - but with no VDSL info
 - In early February further roadworks took place to put in extra trenches to (I assume) bring a handful of other local properties' lines to the cabinet.
 - On 17 Feb the availability checker was updates showing VDSL availability with an 80/20 estimate
 - On 4 March I was emailed by Plusnet advising me that upgrade work was scheduled for 15 March with an estimated 1-2hr outage and they apologised for any inconvenience.  ::)
 - On 4 March the CodeLook DB was updated to show Cab 10 going live "by March" rather than the previous "by May"
 - This week I've seen a significant Openreach presence - which kinda made me nervous - but today, bang on schedule, my line went offline for 90 mins whilst the live-to-live migration took place.

Currently syncing at 40/10 due to the package I'm on but with 82/33 showing as my max sync. Interleaving is at 1283! - I'm hoping DLM will bring that down on its own so leaving everything to settle.

One very happy punter here.  ;D - thanks for all the excellent info from others on this thread. Hopefully this update proves helpful to anyone else going through a similar experience in future. I'm pretty impressed that everything was achieved in just over 2 months from cabinet footing being put in to users live.
Pages: [1] 2 3