Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

iPad Apps.

(1/2) > >>

tickmike:
Are all apps supposed to work in 'Landscape' or 'Portrait' on a iPad ?.
I have some that only work in Portrait  >:D
With the iPad in a keyboard cover that make it difficult.

j0hn:
Nope.
Entirely up to the app developer if they want to support landscape.

Weaver:
I have seen apps that only work in portrait, very rarely. They are of course extremely rubbish. Probably only thinking about the iPhone. There are also iPhone apps that (sort-of) work on the iPad in a low resolution horrid iPhone emulation mode with everything blown up in an ugly low-res fuzzy display.

iPhone-only apps ought in theory to be flagged as such on the App Store. If you see an app that doesn’t rotate then write a bad review for it on the App Store to warn others.

You can always get instant no-questions-asked refunds for any App Store purchase. There’s an Apple page where you can just get a refund straight away with zero hassle and I have used it many times within minutes after buying a useless app.

chenks:
the are valid reasons for not allowing an app to rotate though, so leaving a bad review just because you don't understand why is idiotic.

sevenlayermuddle:
I have an iPhone/iPad App on sale that is designed to work only in portrait.   The reason is,  for best aesthetics, it has a row of buttons at the top, and a row of buttons at the bottom, with an interactive zone in between portraying 3d graphics that for functional reasons, has to be exactly square.   

If I allowed rotation to landscape, especially on iPhone, after the loss of space caused by top & bottom button bars, the interactive central square would shrink too much and cease to be appealing.   So rather than redesign the whole UI with buttons in different places, I simply disallow landscape.   I have had various feedback, and requests for different features, but nobody has ever asked for a landscape version.   

I have other Apps that support both orientations, where doing so is appropriate. When I publish an App that does support both orientations, I ensure the App Store screenshots illustrate them both.   But if my screenshots show only a single orientation, I assume purchasers will figure out that is the only orientation they should expect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version