Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DSLstats with Raspberry Pi  (Read 12663 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats with Raspberry Pi
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 11:23:34 PM »

"Stretch" is the name of the latest Raspbian version (derived from Debian 9). The previous version was "Jessie".

One of the useful things about Stretch is that RealVNC Server is included, so you can easily monitor and control your Pi headlessly. I am a complete noob with linux, but now have one Pi ZeroW running DSLstats, and another acting as a print server (which also makes the printer available to our iPads).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 01:28:03 AM »

[apol, mea culpa. I should split this off into an appropriate separate thread, admins.]

This is my problem: I too need to get a Pi set up so that I can access it remotely - ‘headless mode’. But I don’t have the tools and I can’t do it in bed. Also I don’t know how to choose a good card to go with it. I bought a Pi with a rubbish card before which did work but the card was very small and not durable then I broke the o/s by accident. Then I bought a card which was the wrong type, so I was told, h/w-incompatible. Then I was stuck.

Perhaps I could buy another Pi that comes with a good card and a good o/s -reinstalled. Buy the expertise and labour included as part of the package.

Ideally I would get an Aarch64 o/s installed as then I could practise some 64-bit Aarch64 modern asm. (Being an old long-time asm  programmer at work.)

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 01:03:28 PM »

@snadge:

"Stretch" already explained by Westie.

"Noobs" is a packaged Raspbian version aimed at RPi beginners, contains a lot of program options that you won't need or use in DSLStats service, you can certainly use this if you wish opting to load Raspbian at startup.

"Stretch" is available for free download here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

As a Windows user I prefer to use the desktop GUI program option, works very well with DSLStats, have run this on RPi 1B, 3B, 3B+ and ZW's without any issues accepting the CPU limitations of the older RPi and the ZW's especially when data & webserver uploading is utilised.

I use a 16 Gb. memory card flashed in a Win. environment with either Win32DiskImager or balenaEtcher utilities, very easy process using the downloaded, extracted file image.
When you finalise your RPi/DSLStats setup, I would advise that you make an image of your memory card as they do have a finite life span, (relative to the quality of card you buy) I have had a few failures, it's then much easier to re-flash a replacement and get going again.

Regarding USB port current supply capability:
I have always thought that 500 ma. was the advised supply limit, certainly with USB-2 standard, has this increased to 900 ma. with USB-3 ? 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »

According to the Zyxel website, the VMG8924-B10A has USB 2.0 ports, not USB 3.0.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »

According to the Zyxel website, the VMG8924-B10A has USB 2.0 ports, not USB 3.0.

Yes, had a feeling that was the case, the VMG1312-B10A also has one USB-2 port.
Having googled the USB-2/3 ports specifications, found that USB-3 does indeed support up to 900 ma. current sourcing, USB-2 being only 500 ma., every days a school day !
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »

[apol, mea culpa. I should split this off into an appropriate separate thread, admins.]

Ideally I would get an Aarch64 o/s installed as then I could practise some 64-bit Aarch64 modern asm. (Being an old long-time asm  programmer at work.)

AFAIK there is no "official" 64-bit o/s for the Pi, and developing one is not a priority for the Raspberry Pi Foundation. The only working o/s I can find reference to is on GitHub, here, but it's all way over my head.

Unfortunately I think it's unlikely you will find an Aarch64 o/s ready-installed on a card for the Pi anywhere at this time. Sorry.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »

I run Fedora on my Pi 2. There's Aarch64 Fedora for the Pi 3/3+.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

That shows how much I know!  :paperbag:
Pages: 1 [2]

anything