Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach Remove 35ft Poles from Exeter UK Street After Locals Moan  (Read 4842 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Remove 35ft Poles from Exeter UK Street After Locals Moan
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 12:30:29 PM »

At least most telegraph poles are in back gardens.
I'm not a fan of that idea.

Are you sure? In my experience, telegraph poles tend to on pavement streets..

Ultimately, it all comes down to cost and speed of rollout - telegraph poles are a cheaper way to deploy FTTP in many cases and many already receive telephone services via them.

It's a bit like some areas complaining over the size of DSLAMs and then complaining they didn't get FTTC..

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »

We have several utility poles on our land, both BT and (low voltage) power lines.   The biggest problem is not just that they are unsightly but, thanks to the bird droppings,  they restrict where you can park your car, or sit in your deck chairs. :(

I really can well understand why people would resist, especially if they don’t want or need fttp, and have no other poles or overhead wires.    I’d quite like fttp myself (though no likelihood of getting it)  but given the choice, I’d rather do without fttp and get rid of these poles...

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »

The thing about needing more than 80 Mbps is surely in part to do with how many active simultaneous users there might be at the site. I could imagine a family or small business with three or four users really thrashing the line simultaneously at certain times, their usage patterns just clashing, and making things awkward for one another.

Some kitizens might be able to report their experiences of usability of applications in just such a situation.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »

Hi

One of our clients have in excess of 30 plus users, 10 plus VPN lan/lan, 20 plus VPN users, 48 voip phones, 16 HD cctv, mobiles on wifi and all working from a central location on BT business fttc running at around 63 down and 18.5 up with spare capacity and no complaints over speed or slow downs

This is a heavy user client for web/email

Many thanks

John

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »

Every usage case is different.

A single person watching just a 4k stream can easily use more than a family of 4 doing browsing/emails/iPlayer at the same time.

edit: great example from John above.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 01:36:49 AM »

As d2d4j shows, business users tend to be low-bandwidth, and very bursty. Clashes, momentary contention, people being active generating traffic at exactly the same time is probably fairly infrequent. Business users aren’t doing Netflix if they’re getting work done, just doing web and email.

I had a customer who had half a dozen users all sharing 7 Mbps ADSL G.992.1 and they were very happy.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 10:23:51 AM »

Hi

@weaver, here are the current usage for that client (as taken directly from router as at 9.46 AM today).  Through the week these throughputs increase as most users are live.

I would consider they are not a low bandwidth client

Many thanks

John

TX rate(Kbps)

3183 / 11951 / Auto

RX rate(Kbps)

16872 / 33080 / Auto

Sessions

3260 / 3369   

(Kbps): shared bandwidth
   + : residual bandwidth used
   Current/Peak are average.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »

Agreed. I understand now. The client as a whole is obviously busy. There are a lot of users, so small contributions from each are building up that sizeable total. I was thinking about the per-user traffic, and different people might have different ideas about what amounts of data might be called ‘small’ etc. But from my point of view, using my choices of words, we done seem to have one or two users watching 4k TV simultaneously or up/downloading multi-gig files flat out simultaneously all the time, which is not what one would expect anyway. So all is about as you would expect it to be. (It’s a busier site than any of my small customers had when I was working, as a consultant, before I became too ill. But it seems to be the roughly the same kind of thing just scaled up a lot.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:24:43 PM by Weaver »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »

Hi

I’m sorry seem to be losing what you were asking

If you want to see the impact of a sub stained 120GB download on a fttc 80/20 line, here is a picture from our SamKnows

Many thanks

John

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »

You can see why we're looking forward to more upload speed - this is with offloading bulk upload to 4G.

Download is very bursty, upload depends what's going on but is often kinda high.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything