Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unable to get my PC to boot in CSM mode from USB stick  (Read 4443 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Unable to get my PC to boot in CSM mode from USB stick
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:19:35 PM »

I have an issue with my Gigabyte Brix mini PC running windows 7 reported before where it has become counterfeit! So in order to fix this I need to boot it from the Windows Install disk, however with only limited USB ports and no CD/DVD drive I have created a USB stick from a downloaded official windows 7 ISO. Now when I try to boot from this USB stick it refuses to boot up. The BIOS has CSM enabled and the stick has been created using the official M$ USB creator which I downloaded.

Now the strange thing is that the PC was originally installed using this same method but now I have no idea how to get it to boot from the detected USB stick. I tried creating the stick also using a program called RUFUS which says it creates it in a more compatible with both MBR and CSM but no way does this boot either. I've tried a different USB stick as well but still no boot. The stick is always detected when I go into the BIOS. I also have the latest BIOS installed which is the same one I used originally when installing the PC.

So has anyone any ideas I might try to get this to work?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Unable to get my PC to boot in CSM mode from USB stick
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »

I seem recal this issue. I think the USB stick must be 2gb or less. Something connected with the old DOS limitations for boot sectors. If you have a small stick it’s worth a try.

I also have a procedure written for creating bootable USB which I can share via PM if needed. No external software required.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:08 AM »

You won't fit the Windows installer on a 2GB stick.

Presume the bios is set to boot from usb?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »

I think I might have found the problem. After I last updated W7 on it I updated the BIOS and now it has xhci but the standard W7 install only has ehci drivers. So I found a way to add the xhci drivers to the iso and rebuild it. I will try later today to see if the updated stick boots now with the added drivers.

Yes I know installing a later version of Windows might work but I have no need of anything in the newer versions. If only I could find a way to run the weather s/w under linux I could ditch Windows entirely as this is the only Windows system in the house ;-))

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »

Well I can now boot my updated USB stick with the new drivers just fine.

Stuart

anything