Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Global Cable Operators Target 10Gbps Broadband Speeds for All  (Read 1855 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Global Cable Operators Target 10Gbps Broadband Speeds for All
« on: January 09, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/global-cable-operators-aim-for-10gbps-broadband-speeds-for-all.html

The Internet & Television Association, which represents the global cable broadband and TV industry (CableLabs, Liberty Global etc.), has launched their new 10G vision. This is their plan for making speeds of 10Gbps (Gigabits per second) and beyond available to consumers across the globe in the “coming years.”

According to the announcement, which was made this week at the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the new 10G initiative will “ultimately.. deliver symmetrical speeds that are up to 10 times faster than today’s fastest networks” (i.e. they’re using the 1Gbps services that are said to be available from most cable networks in the USA as a baseline).

Apparently many cable operators “are implementing the new 10G initiative, with lab trials already underway, and field trials beginning” as soon as 2020. In fact they’ve even setup a dedicated 10G Website to help sell their plan to the wider market and consumers. Promises of “faster speeds, more capacity, lower latency and greater security” are all well and good but, outside of the USA, the picture is a bit more mixed.

The announcement is likely to cause a few giggles here in the United Kingdom, where the best that Liberty Global’s sibling ISP – Virgin Media – can currently offer is 362Mbps (average) and there’s still no sign of their long planned DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade that could in theory make speeds of between 1Gbps and up to 10Gbps available (maybe next year.. we keep saying). At least a 500Mbps tier may be on the way first.

Michael Powell, NCTA President and CEO, said:

“With groundbreaking, scalable capacity and speeds, the 10G platform is the wired network of the future that will power the digital experiences and imaginations of consumers for years to come. As an industry, we are dedicated to delivering an exceptional national infrastructure that will power digital advancement and propel our innovation economy into the future.”

Mike Fries, CEO and Vice Chairman of Liberty Global, said:

“While the world is talking about 5G, we’re proud to be part of this extraordinary movement to 10G. We’re already launching entire Gigicities and that’s just the start. We’re building a network that leverages the strategic advantage that DOCSIS 3.1 brings, and we’re excited to utilize this world-class platform to provide a 1G to 10G playbook that will fuel innovation and the economy of the future.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Global Cable Operators Target 10Gbps Broadband Speeds for All
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »

Perhaps some one should point VM in the right direction, they are clearly dragging their heels.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:41 AM »

When the competition is so pedestrian there's no business case for spending the cash to provide such things.

Openreach ensured VM wouldn't be in a hurry with their bizarre decision to do G.fast from PCPs. VM had a strategy in place to deliver much higher speeds by now but haven't had to use it.

You're talking between £2 billion and £3 billion to get the network ready for this kind of thing. When you can maintain your speed advantage over the main competition with a hundredth of that spend along with business as usual capacity upgrades the bean counters aren't going to open the wallet.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 01:28:10 PM »

I fully appreciate that.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »

It is a bit of an odd situation though.

Mike Fries previously stated that he saw no business case to introduce docsis 3.1 at this moment. While I can appreciate that position, this recent comment at the I&TA conference is acting like he wants VM to take the lead towards 10G.

VM has a chance now before FTTP gets fully rolled out to take the lead and be there for at most 10 years. By the time FTTP does roll out to a significant amount of properties then I'm sure VM will be able to upgrade even further.

I'm no expert in these things. But I think there is a lot of benefit to leading the field and establishing a name. VM is still seen as a TV cable network rather than an Internet ISP. VM already has a national brand name. FTTP won't have as it'll be still listed next to X amount of ISP names.

If VM tomorrow delivered 1gig speeds, solid 24-7 they would get a lot of customers, and I wonder how many of them would move to FTTP 330down/30 packages when FTTP finally reaches them? I bet not many.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »

If VM tomorrow delivered 1gig speeds, solid 24-7 they would get a lot of customers

I bet all the people still on ADSL would immediately switch. I myself have been defiantly holding off upgrading because anything less than the full 1Gbps just isn't worth bothering with. Having 1Gbps would immediately solve all my other problems and completely change my life and transform me into a different person. :P

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »

It is a bit of an odd situation though.

Mike Fries previously stated that he saw no business case to introduce docsis 3.1 at this moment. While I can appreciate that position, this recent comment at the I&TA conference is acting like he wants VM to take the lead towards 10G.

If VM tomorrow delivered 1gig speeds, solid 24-7 they would get a lot of customers

Sure Mike Fries was referring to VM? There's no rush for 3.1 in the UK. The man referred to 'entire gigacities'. Not nations, just cities. All two of them: Bochum in Germany and Warsaw in Poland.

Regardless it's his job to do some PR for the industry in general. There is little evidence that he or VM as a whole are gearing up for anything other than DOCSIS 3.1 on downstream only for the foreseeable let alone the kinds of upgrades needed for full-duplex DOCSIS.

https://cablelabs.com/news/10g-next-great-leap-broadband/ puts the level of ambition into perspective. The best Fries can do is bringing 3.1 to 'cities' and building a network that 'leverages the strategic advantage'. Compare that to what Vodafone are doing with the network they bought from Liberty Global - 6 million premises of gigabit by the end of last year in Germany alone, nearly all 13 million premises passed by end of 2020, and completion of 3.1 upgrades in Spain, 7.9 million premises passed, last year.

https://carrier.huawei.com/en/success-stories/fixed-network/vodafone-spain-achieves%20the-largest-docsis-network

Expect to see the networks in Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic leave Liberty Global in the dust, too. Fries is blowing sunshine up investors' hindmosts while waiting for Vodafone or A N Other to acquire more of the group's operations. He's spending the bare minimum in the hope that Vodafone or A N Other will pick up most of the bills after he's received his bonus and proceeds from share sales.

As far as a huge influx of customers for gigabit goes I very much doubt it. The uptake of their top tier doesn't give any evidence for this and that's with bundling it. I mean they had to re-introduce 50Mb because so many people didn't want to pay more for 100Mb. I can't see many people paying 50,60,70GBP+ a month en masse for a robust gigabit service.

People in the UK think broadband should be free, the performance flawless.