Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rumour Mill – UK ISP Virgin Media Business Prep 500Mbps Broadband  (Read 1103 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/rumour-mill-uk-isp-virgin-media-business-prep-500mbps-broadband.html

A number of sources have indicated to us that UK cable operator Virgin Media, specifically their Virgin Media Business division, could be preparing to launch a new small biz focused 500Mbps (35Mbps upload) “VOOM Fibre” broadband package during the first few months of 2019. But residential users may have to wait.

Regular readers will know that there have been whispers of a future 500Mbps or similar tier for awhile (today’s top business tier is 350Mbps, with upload speeds that range from 7Mbps to 20Mbps), although until recently this was little more than casual speculation based on what some of Liberty Global’s other divisions had been doing and a few related hints.

However we’ve recently received a number of stronger indications from known sources, which all point to the potential launch of a new VOOM 500 business tier this year. In the past few years it’s become normal for Virgin Media to introduce their fastest tiers to small business customers first, although it can take up to a year for this to then filter down to residential customers.

NOTE: Some of Virgin Media’s selected residential customers are also being invited to “trial … a new tier of service between now and June 2019” (labelled as a ‘speed tier trial’), which may well reflect the same speed as planned for VMB but perhaps not for launch until later in 2019.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Rumour Mill – UK ISP Virgin Media Business Prep 500Mbps Broadband
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »

preparing to launch a new small biz focused 500Mbps (35Mbps upload)

I would assume the info is correct, one of the sources is usually reliable.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 07:42:51 PM »

The upload is still poor in comparison to the download speed, I suspect many would welcome more upload.

I'd happily trial their higher speed packages for them   :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

They aren't just testing 500/35 either.  ;)