Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: First day with new Billion 8800NL R2  (Read 12704 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: First day with new Billion 8800NL R2
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:34:20 PM »

j0hn I'd like to think I had bad luck with a faulty item, as I thought Billion a good manufacturer. My needs are modest, so I don't see ac as a particular necessity, and I also wonder that about sprouting aerials in a modest 3 bed house, probably in the not distant future exchanged for a 2 bed flat or bungalow.

However I like the ability to know what is going on that Broadcom gives, but even if the Billion is faulty, I'm shying away from another one.

ISTM to be harder to find kit too; some that featured  their chips from my searches, appear to be going to other chip manufacturers. Am I hallucinating?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 01:48:32 PM »

This is with Retransmission High (G.INP) on the line.
There should be near 0 ES.

Is this always the case, as I have Rtx High on G.INP and can get up to 900ES (only a handful of SES) per day.
This is using a VMG8924.
I've never seen anything even approaching zero on the various modems I have tried (Netgear D6220 was the best but it got poorly :().
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »

No. Probably should have used nearer and not near.
It's perfectly possible for a line to still see so many errors.
Retransmission is great but doesn't fix all errors in all circumstances. It struggles with certain types of noise.

I was comparing against renluop's previous figures which were nearer 0, or often were zero.

This modem is causing 30,000+ ES a day at its current rate. That's not right.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »

Im back with PN Hub 1 now and straightway the connection is much healthier: Connection 21405/5443; SNR 4.2/6 down/up.

Not sure if you are aware of this, you can get very limited stat's from a PN Hub One (re-badged BT Home Hub 5A), details here:
http://vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm
I ran this for a very short period with my original PN supplied Hub One after conversion from ADSL2+ to VDSL2 with PN before I changed to my current ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A, very limited stat's extraction due to the chipset but better than nothing until you manage to get a Broadcom based router and can run DSLStats.

I'd like to think I had bad luck with a faulty item, as I thought Billion a good manufacturer.

Yes, I would like to think this was the case, I also run a Billion 8800NL R1 on my sons very stable, relatively short VDSL2 line getting virtually max. DS & US rates (80/20 on Huawei Cab. with DS G.Inp, Re-tx. High), virtually zero DS ER and very low US ER, running for close to 2 years, no issues.
Accepting the limitations associated with the budget Broadcom chipset deployed, healthy Billion 8800NL R1 or R2's perform adequately on most lines and provide full stat's availability via DSLStats or a similar utility.

ISTM to be harder to find kit too; some that featured  their chips from my searches, appear to be going to other chip manufacturers. Am I hallucinating?

Again, within the perceived limitations of the Broadcom budget chipset, the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D is worth a look, I bought one S/H, actually to replace the perceived faulty Billion 8800NL R2 which was cured by the FW update, turned out to be an ex. ISP, locked down unit which I managed to return to original with lots of help from forum members.
This model is quite common S/H and a lot cheaper than the VMG1312-B10A (better chipset) but again can offer perfectly adequate service on most lines with full stat's extraction provision.
Unlocking an ex. ISP model is very well documented on this forum should that be a requirement.
I have retained my unit as a spare should there be a failure on any of my "router estate".

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »

The VMG3925-B10B is another candidate... has the good BCM63168 chipset but is missing the nice filter.

Small amount of ball ache getting the supervisor password, but once obtained has full stats.

Cheapish on the auction site, one ending in a little under a week to watch.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »

Thanks for the interest guys!:) May be I'll have to consider EBAY, but reluctantly. Tiffy,
I am using Routerstats with PN Hub 1.
johnson,
What is that nice filter?

On the new models with BCM chips, there is the TP-LINK Archer VR600 below the £100 mark. Perhaps over specified, and in PC World strangely called a cable/FTTC model (no mention of ADSL). I think I mentioned moving sometime before, and if PCW is correct, and fibre unavailable, it could be even more of a waste.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 11:55:30 PM »

On the new models with BCM chips, there is the TP-LINK Archer VR600 below the £100 mark. Perhaps over specified, and in PC World strangely called a cable/FTTC model (no mention of ADSL).

A quick read of the specifications on the TP-Link web-site shows that the Archer VR600 is xDSL capable . . . by that I mean it is compatible with any available ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ and VDSL2 services.

[Edited to remove the now irrelevant image and, thus, save on disk space.]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:28:51 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 09:34:13 AM »

Had a bit of a look for routers to buy new with the BCM63168 chipset and came across the netgear D6400 on CCL for £95.

I have no experience with it, but the kitz wiki suggests it has full stats accessible and has the right chipset, so thought I'd mention it.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »

What is that nice filter?

The VMG1312 & VMG8x24 have a larger/more complex filter on the phone line input that may be responsible for their higher sync/lower error rates.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »

The VMG1312 & VMG8x24 have a larger/more complex filter on the phone line input that may be responsible for their higher sync/lower error rates.

Just to clarify, the VMG1312-B10A model only, not the VMG1312-B10D which also utilises the Broadcom budget chip set as mentioned earlier.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »

Google/Amazon are amusing sometimes!

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »

Google/Amazon are amusing sometimes!

Yes indeed, perhaps in the same vein as j0hn's estimation on ISP supplied modems earlier in this thread ?

I'd rather use a p00 ISP modem with no stats that worked, than a bit junk I can monitor as is sabotages my line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 03:45:48 PM »

I had a sudden thought, during the night, about TP-Link Archer devices . . .

I've only had experience of one of those devices and it provided a severely restricted command line interface, such that it was impossible to use DSLstats to monitor the line. So caution is advised, until someone is able to confirm that DSLstats can be  used with an Archer VR600.  :-\

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 04:07:11 PM »

I had a sudden thought, during the night, about TP-Link Archer devices . . .

I've only had experience of one of those devices and it provided a severely restricted command line interface....

I think this is why we tend to like the Zyxel devices so much on this forum, as they don't restrict access to the raw stats data should you wish to see it (and of course the fact that they are decent performers on the majority of lines).
Netgear devices mostly allow stats access too but do need what could be described as a little hack to enable it.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »

Netgear devices mostly allow stats access too but do need what could be described as a little hack to enable it.

"Debug mode", I believe.  ;)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything