Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CPU/RAM on routers - why is more than 400mHz Dual-Core/128MB RAM overkill?  (Read 1442 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

I was after a router with more RAM and CPU power than my previous one (BT-HH-5B), but was told that this was not something I should be considering as routers dont use much CPU/RAM to start with?  so I went a bought the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A which has the same CPU/RAM as the BT-HH-5B and when the router is sitting idle it reports the following:

is there any reason for such high usage at idle?

thanks in advance
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

johnson

• Reg Member

I would hazard a guess that the periodic spike in load you are seeing is from serving the web gui you are monitoring it with, but I could be wrong.

Try logging in via telnet, and looking at "top" (while logged out of the GUI). My 8324 hovers around 95% idle pretty consistently, but admittedly its only in bridge mode.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

the home hub accelerates pppoe really well, so as a result performs very well. 

With that said, I dont typically see idle usage like that, perhaps some info on how the router is configured, number of devices etc?

ejs

• Kitizen

There's not much point in having excessive amounts of CPU power or RAM sitting around doing nothing the vast majority of the time. All that would do is make the router more expensive and probably use/waste more electricity. It's not really going to make things any faster by having 1GiB of RAM and then never using more than 10% of it.

anything