Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I access USB on my Zyxel from the internet?  (Read 2962 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
How do I access USB on my Zyxel from the internet?
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »

Ive managed to get access to my USB stick on the Zyxel router, however Iam trying to find out how I can access the stick say from work or out and about

does anyone know how to do this?

thanks in advance
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: How do I access USB on my Zyxel from the internet?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:39:12 AM »

I really wouldn't recommend making this generation of Zyxel devices accessible from the internet. Having built various firmware for them its very apparent how old and out of date some of the packages are, see TJs thoughts on it in the unlocking section:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22887.0.html

If you want an always on network storage device accessible from outside something like a raspberry pi would allow you to do with with properly updated security software.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:15:37 AM »

The above goes for most consumer routers, not just Zyxel.
Opening them up to the wider internet isn't a good idea.

If you're wanting to host something externally I recommend using a proper network storage device like a NAS or as Johnson says you could use a Raspberry pi.

At least that way you have control over updating the packages installed on it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »

I have a Raspberry Pi coming in the post for DSL-stats, i could use that yes?  how?

thanks

machare

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:22 PM »

I have a Raspberry Pi coming in the post for DSL-stats, i could use that yes?  how?

thanks
Install VNC (server) on the Pi you can then connect to it using VNC Viewer running on a PC.  You don't need to setup any port forwarding on the router.

(My Zyxel router is configured to allow remote access to the web interface but just from a particular subnet.)

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »

Install VNC (server) on the Pi you can then connect to it using VNC Viewer running on a PC.  You don't need to setup any port forwarding on the router.

(My Zyxel router is configured to allow remote access to the web interface but just from a particular subnet.)

You can connect to a VNC server on the pi from outside your network without opening any ports?  :hmm:

thanks

Really depends on how you want to access the files and from what devices. Easiest I guess is just opening a port and forwarding it to port 22 on your pi (use a different port than 22 on the router), enable sshd and you can use sftp to browse and download files remotely. Clients exist for all major desktop and mobile OSs.

Choose a strong password for ssh on your pi or consider using keys to authenticate as even on a different port than default you will end up with lots of scripts/kids/etc trying to bruteforce it. There are ways to hide the open port but need a router running something like pfSense/openWRT.

I'm not sure there is even a way through the GUI to expose the legacy samba share it uses to the internet, but it could be fun to see how fast the bots etc take it over.

machare

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »

You can connect to a VNC server on the pi from outside your network without opening any ports?  :hmm:

You would need to setup port forwarding on the router for Remote Desktop Connection. In the case of VNC both the server and the viewer contact a 3rd party for the initial introduction. If the 3rd party stops then the connection would no longer work.  There is a product where the supplier did stop running a comparable server.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »

You would need to setup port forwarding on the router for Remote Desktop Connection. In the case of VNC both the server and the viewer contact a 3rd party for the initial introduction. If the 3rd party stops then the connection would no longer work.  There is a product where the supplier did stop running a comparable server.

Ah ok.. so you mean using something similar to pagekite?

machare

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »

Ah ok.. so you mean using something similar to pagekite?

Quite possibly,  I don't know pagekite.  I have a Heatmiser thermostat which my Android phone can control, so long as the phone can connect to the Internet.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:43 PM »

i have read the replies thanks. my Pi is here with its black case, ive read that Raspbian has VNC Server built in but needs activating, are there any guides specifically for setting up DSL-stats on Pi..?  im new to Pi

thanks in advance

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »

i have read the replies thanks. my Pi is here with its black case, ive read that Raspbian has VNC Server built in but needs activating, are there any guides specifically for setting up DSL-stats on Pi..?  im new to Pi

thanks in advance

Lots of good information in this thread and the further links provided in some of the posts:

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20672.msg360097.html#msg360097

I found getting DSLStats running on my RPi's very easy using the appropriate RPi version of the program, did experience quite a bit of difficulty in getting the DSLStats auto-start after power on working but eventually got there with a lot of help from forum members, see thread details.
My original objective was to get the 3 RPi's in my charge running DSLStats and uploading to MDWS, sadly now gone of course, however, I still maintain 24/7 stat's monitoring and uploading to local and web servers for reference, kitz and broadstairs have both produced excellent utilities post MDWS for displaying stored router stat's and have made these freely available to all forum members.

VNC works very well and is especially important for my 2 remote RPi's which can be fully monitored and serviced from my desktop PC including uploading the periodic router stat's files.
There are lots of good setup guides for VNC on the web and on the kitz forums.
With the VNC free program version, up to 5 "cloud connected" devices are permitted.

Good luck with the project, I'am sure there will be lots of help available on request from many forum members should the information not be available in existing forum posts.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

pxr5

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »

thanks in advance

Honestly it's easy to set up DSL-stats on a Pi. If I can do it anyone can. I don't recall having to activate VNC Server. I jump put the pi together, chucked on an old monitor/kb/mouse and put raspian on and installed DSDL-Stats. Got VNC running and set the pi headless. I set DSL-Stats to snapshot to my local NAS and that was it. Took about 2 hours and I'd never used a Pi or Unix before. That was last summer and it's sat there doing its thing ever since.