Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WBC FTTP Availability date 5th February 2019 - er ... really?  (Read 4779 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
WBC FTTP Availability date 5th February 2019 - er ... really?
« on: January 05, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »

Before I get unnecessarily excited can I check with you guys what this means when I check my exchange on dslchecker :

I am on the Tenbury Wells exchange (WNTW) cabinet 11 and currently load share 2 x ADSL lines to try and get speed to within teenager limits :

Does this mean that on 5th February I can have FTTP 330 / 50 Mbps installed chez Chunkers?.  This would be a big deal for the Chunkeroids because I could easily decommission my second line and, depending on cost, save spondoolies (assuming it doesn't cost a bazillion pounds, obviously)

Barely contained excitement onset imminent, please let me down gently because I have been hurt before.

Chunks

Weird, I am not seeing images : http://www.zen101388.zen.co.uk/images/Cab11.png
http://www.zen101388.zen.co.uk/images/JazzHands.jpg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:30:23 PM by Chunkers »

mentaltom

WBC FTTP Availability date 5th February 2019 - er ... really?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 12:34:46 PM »

Hi Chunks.

If you’re currently only on ADSL, it seems that on 5th February Openreach expect that they will have completed the installation of an FTTC fibre cabinet to your area (I am in the same boat ) so you will be able to order FFTC services such as 80/40 or 40/10.  This can be ordered through any ISP and will not incur any infrastructure installation charges.

In turn with this, should you require, you will be able to choose an ISP to receive a FTTP OD quotation for. However, this quotation will take into consideration the running of a fibre cable from the installed node (serving the new cabinet) to your property and from experience can range from £2000-£25,000.

Don’t be disheartened though as if you were keen to receive ultrafast speeds without this huge initial outlay, you could pair 2 x FTTC connections together and potentially reach downstream of 160Mbps if you ordered 2 80 services (copper line length dependent) - this again is what I am planning on doing.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:39:08 PM by mentaltom »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: WBC FTTP Availability date 5th February 2019 - er ... really?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »

Thanks mentaltom,

We have had FTTC for a while now and I upgraded one of my lines last year - it is uncapped and gave us a marginal speed bump from around 10 Mbps up to 16-18 Mbps (down) although some signs things have recently improved on this.  So I could upgrade the other and take us from about 27 Mbps to 36 Mbps but it is more expensive as, with line rental, we will end up paying £80/month.

Our speeds are poor due to our countryside location, distance from the cabinet  and aluminium phone lines apparently, sigh, hence the dual line tomfoolery

£2000 plus to install is obviously not going to fly as I live quite a long way from the cabinet :(

Thanks for your reply though!

Chunks

mentaltom

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »

Ah great. I must be the only one on earth still waiting for an FTTC cabinet to be installed, so much so I was actually charged to install this myself and it’s due to be completed in February. I may go down the route of paying £250 for a full survey for FTTPOD out of curiosity to the actual cost, when FTTC actually becomes available! ADSL with 48 devices battling for it is not pretty !

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »

Nope.
Only FTTC capacity being added.

You're looking at the FTTPoD line anyway.
If that particular line on the checker said WBC FTTP instead then it would be a different story.

For example my results show that as available.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »

You imply your current FTTC speeds are quite low, yet the FTTC estimate shown is around 40Mbps at best, so I wonder if they are installing a second FTTC cab nearer to you, have you always been on Cab 11?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »

You imply your current FTTC speeds are quite low, yet the FTTC estimate shown is around 40Mbps at best, so I wonder if they are installing a second FTTC cab nearer to you, have you always been on Cab 11?
A good question, I think you may have hit on something there! I will need to look into this when I get home (I work away on business a lot and am currently in Africa).

In some recent downloads before I left home I have seen some unfeasibly good download rates, I raised an eyebrow but never made the connection and bothered to check my actual connection rates ...

I can't honestly remember what cabinet I used to be on although I feel sure I have written down somewhere - I will need to start scouting around the locality for anonymous green boxes!

EDIT : I just found my 2015 thread on here in which I was talking about my FTTC cabinet being installed and I was on cabinet 1 then! hehehe, it must have changed to cabinet 11 quite recently - I can't wait to see what my connections are like when I get home!!!

C
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:56:02 PM by Chunkers »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »

Sounds promising, they would have disconnected you from cab 1 and then reconnected to cab 11, so you probably wouldn't notice a drop in service especially if away from home. Hopefully you've got a nice bump in speeds.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »

A word of caution though, they can update the DSL checker to reflect the new cabinet number before they do the switch.

If you've read anything about infill cabinets and "live-to-live" migrations you'll know they can take a few months to complete from the cabinet being installed.

If it isn't on the new cabinet with a higher sync yet though, it won't be long.

The new PCP11 only serves 120 properties so might be an All In One, if they are still installing these. They are certainly beginning less common.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 01:03:21 PM »

You guys are clever - I found cab 11, it is a new one and it s 0.4 miles away :

Also, now I am at home (was away on business) I have checked my connection speeds and both have improved dramatically

CONNECTION 1 (Zen)

Link Uptime:   9 days: 21 hours: 40 minutes
============================================================================
       ADSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
               Line Rate:      1.120 Mbps       11.047 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate:      1.112 Mbps       11.019 Mbps
          Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
              SNR Margin:        6.3 dB            3.4 dB
            Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
          Transmit Power:       12.9 dBm           0.0 dBm
           Receive Power:        4.7 dBm           4.7 dBm
              Actual INP:        0.0 symbols       0.0 symbols
       Total Attenuation:       20.6 dB          37.5 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:      1.124 Mbps       11.280 Mbps

CONNECTION 2 (PlusNet)

VDSL Port Details       Upstream         Downstream
Line Rate:     19.106 Mbps       66.492 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate:     19.074 Mbps       66.493 Mbps
Trellis Coding:         ON                ON
SNR Margin:        6.3 dB            6.3 dB
Actual Delay:          0 ms              0 ms
Transmit Power:        7.5 dBm          13.1 dBm
Receive Power:       -5.5 dBm          -9.5 dBm
Actual INP:        0.0 symbols      49.0 symbols
Total Attenuation:       13.0 dB           22.7 dB
Attainable Net Data Rate:     19.074 Mbps       66.504 Mbps

I now am in an "interesting" position where I still have my 2 connections (due to my old very bad connection) and could potentially get rid of one.

I think what I would like to do is upgrade one line to FTTP and cancel the other - it says it is availabel from 5th February so I may wait until then and get a quote / estimate.

Thanks guys!

C
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:08:58 PM by Chunkers »

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »

Do you realise that installing FTTP on demand will cost many thousands of pounds, probably at least £3000 and could be much more depending on the location of the fibre aggregation node which the fibre from your house has to connect to. It may or may not be near the FTTC cabinet only Openreach know it's location.

Is your improved FTTC speed not good enough?  ;)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »

As RealAleMadrid says given you didn't even really notice the speed increase when OR changed your cab, is there any real benefit to paying for FTTPoD?

If you wanted even faster speeds, it would probably make sense to upgrade the ADSL line to FTTC - rather than incurring the cost (and time) for FTTPoD to be installed..

btw what FTTC modem are you using? I would expect the target SNR to reduce on the line, further boosting the speed achieved.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 03:47:12 PM »

I think what I would like to do is upgrade one line to FTTP and cancel the other - it says it is availabel from 5th February so I may wait until then and get a quote / estimate.

You will be able to get a quote for FTTPoD now.

Although the checker says it's available from February, that's just a quirk of the DSL checker.

FTTPoD would likely already have been showing available before the new cabinet was installed. It's only showing an availability date as the cabinet is also showing this date.

FTTPoD simply requires you to be connected to a PCP that had an FTTC twin, and for the exchange to be FTTP enabled.

As others have mentioned the quotes are in the thousands of £s range.
Low end quotes start around £4-5k and go up to £20-30k depending on your distance from the nearest NGA Aggregation Node.
Going by your previous sync I'd confidently say it will be over £10k as it's extremely unlikely they installed a new Agg Node for an AIO cab serving 120 premises.
So the Agg Node you're served by is at least the distance of your former PCP but hey likely further than this.

A desktop quote (very very rough estimate) can be obtained free from the likes of Cerberus.
A full survey with a final quote cost £250.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:50:39 PM by j0hn »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »

OK, I read an article that prices had recently fallen and you could have installation sub-£1K and cost £92/month - this would not be much more than I currently pay for my 2 lines.  Googling it, I see that in reality that those costs were not correct.

Openreach has announced a significant reduction in annual rental costs - essential reversing the damaging price increases in 2014. For its 330Mbps download/30 Mbps upload FTTP on Demand service, Openreach currently charges an annual rental of £1188 (excluding VAT). From February 2018, this annual rental will be decreased by 62% to £456 (excluding VAT). As discussed below, this should mean that ISPs will be able to charge significantly less than £100 per month (inclusive of VAT)  rather than the £200 per month they charge now.

At current prices I can just change my second line to vDSL and get a healthy boost instead.  Still I am happy my horrible connection is suddenly decent! Thanks for the advice ...  :yay:

o7

Chunks

j0hn

• Kitizen
Pages: [1] 2