Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What router?  (Read 1226 times)

Deathstar

• Reg Member
What router?
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »

Sorry for another what router question. However over the last few months my existing unit (DSL-AC68U) has been giving warning.

A while ago 1 of the ethernet ports died, and now another one has gone.
I am also seeing WiFi dropouts that require a restart to clear, these are completely random and can be daily or not see another for a while.

So what do I need/want/like?

Dual band WiFi
More than 4 ethernet ports (gigabit) if possible.
Port forwarding
Port blocking
QoS.

We have around 8 devices connected via the ethernet ports to a switch (unmanaged). Plus the 2 connections to my Zyxel for WAN and DSLStats.
We also have, at least 10 WiFi devices.
Plus NAS and CCTV. So there is at times a lot of traffic on the internal network.

I have a 2 box set up at the moment which I want to keep.

I was thinking about the RT version of what I have at the moment and that way I could run third party firmware.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: What router?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 05:36:54 AM »

Hi Deathstar,

I have had a RT-AC68U for 3 years now, I have tried a few firm-wares (currently Merlin installed) - I have always liked the GUI and spec and although my initial impressions were positive subsequently I had a few issues.  Whilst I was using it as my main router it would drop the PPoE connections randomly every day, I subsequently found it was a bug that some other users also experienced.  I persevered with technical support and different firmwares for about 9 months and then gave up, replacing it with another router (which solved the issue)- I subsequently relegated it to a being a wireless access point. 

As a WAP it functions OK, although it has a habit of crashing / freezing and becoming unresponsive requiring a reboot every 2-3 weeks.  I have already bought the Ubiquiti WAP that will replace it, just haven't got round to installing it.  I already have another Ubiquiti WAP elsewhere in the house and it performs flawlessly.

The RT-68U is an old design, mine is now over 3 years old and perhaps they have made hardware changes since I bought it so maybe things are now better.

My personal advice since you already have a modem would be to buy (or make using an old PC) a pfsense or OPNsense box but I know this isn't for everyone.  If you want an off-the-shelf one then I my gut feeling is that a Draytek or Billion would be better than an Asus.

Good luck!

Chunks

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »

You could try installing the Merlin firmware to the DSL-AC68U and see if it helps the Ethernet ports spring back to life?

It would also give you a good idea how it runs. The hardware inside the 2 devices is almost identical, apart from the WAN/DSL port being swapped.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »

The RT-AC88U seems to tick all your boxes:

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AC88U/

anything