Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Planning a Train Journey  (Read 2216 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Planning a Train Journey
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:54:10 PM »

Knowing that our friend Weaver is having a bit of a problem with one of his ZyXEL VMG1312-B10As (and also his Raspberry Pi), b*cat decided to plan a train journey.  :)

On entering BSE as the point of departure, KYL as the destination into the National Rail web-site and specifying the first train departing around 0800 hours on Monday 7th January, 2019, the journey was planned. It showed --

Dep.  From                                 To                                   Arr.     Dur.        Chg.

08:33 Bury St Edmunds [BSE] Platform 1  >  Kyle of Lochalsh [KYL] Platform 1    20:31    11h 58m     3

As three changes of train would be required, the journey details were examined --

Bury St Edmunds [BSE] to Peterborough [PBO]      1h 07m
Peterborough [PBO]    to Edinburgh [EDB]         3h 31m
Edinburgh [EDB]       to Inverness [INV]         3h 31m
Inverness [INV]       to Kyle of Lochalsh [KYL]  2h 37m

Just to the west of the station, at Kyle of Lochalsh, is "Skye Car Hire" from whence I planned to obtain a suitable vehicle for the last leg of the journey. A drive westwards on the A87 would take me over the Skye Bridge and, continuing on that road, eventually to the left turn, just before the "Claymore Restaurant", that leads to Heasta and "The Weaving Shed".

Finally, as an afterthought, the price of the cheapest train fare was checked, £192-00:o  :swoon:

Upon recovery, b*cat then proceeded to unpack his back-pack removing a laptop computer, a time-domain reflectometer, a USB to serial converter, various cables, a Krone punch-down tool, a set of screwdrivers and other assorted "doings" . . . as, unfortunately, that is a journey he will not be making.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Planning a Train Journey
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 07:29:41 PM »

Train bookings can be a funny thing.

It's usually cheaper to book the 3 individual train journeys than buying a single ticket with the exact same 3 trains included.
I think it's referred to as split ticketing.

Booking 2 singles is often cheaper than a return also.

edit: https://raileasy.trainsplit.com

£125.53 when split.

You have chosen an advance split ticket for £125.53. That's a saving of £66.47 or 36.87%, compared to buying the equivalent through ticket. Prices include our share of your saving (which is a small percentage of any saving you make - if you don't save money using our system, we won't charge you a fee).

Few £ cheaper if you do it yourself.
Trains certainly aren't cheap!

2nd edit: same journey on 1st Feb £192
Split ticket £92.89

Huge savings can be made booking individual trains in advance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:37:14 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

I got the same fare down to £85 single and a return is £139.78.  This is using a senior* travel card which can be used on multiple journeys for the next year, and costs £30

https://splitticketing.trainsplit.com

*Hopefully I haven't over estimated b*cat's age.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »

In addition to the above you can use £10 worth of Tesco Club Card vouchers to purchase a rail card - we did this for our daughter.

See also https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/#splittickets
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 08:38:22 PM »

Echo the suggestion of senior railcard, if age qualifies.  I occasionally even use mine to splash out on first class, as the discount applies to all ticket types. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »

Ouch.   I just realised that was only one way!  :o
Although an anytime return is £239, its still a hefty chuck of money.   :(

A senior railcard would reduce that anytime return to £157.75.

As others have mentioned you may be able to get it cheaper using a split ticket. 
However, I've personally found that whilst split tickets are cheaper, on the past 2 occasions I have opted to pay a few quid extra for the peace of mind that if I stay later or miss a particular train, then I can be more flexible and still hop on any other train.   I've also found that by adjusting time (& date) of departure can drop the price quite a lot.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »

you can opt for a cheaper route, if the site makes it easy to find. ::)---nice if you have time, and don't mind changes.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »

This is a similar journey  I am just working out for June to Isle of Skye for our mid-year holiday :)

My Wife and I will go by train (first class) to London Euston and meet our Daughter coming up from Kent, have a free snack and  drinks in the First class lounge, then catch the Caledonian Night sleeper to Inverness, then collect our car hire, drive to Skye, spend a week there, drive back to Inverness Airport, fly back to London Gatwick, then go our separate way back home/s.

Your trip =
Using a Senior Rail card your journey = £ 65.65
You can fly from LHR to INV for £54 with BA. 1hr 30min

I always book though https://www.virgintrains.co.uk , there are no hidden charges like some sites.

Like has been said if you book in Advance you can get some good bargains, eg I noticed some Euston to Birmingham trains over the last holidays = £12 second class and £12.79 First Class on Virgin trains and you would get soft drinks and possibly Alcoholic drinks and a meal with First class included.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »

I booked some other train tickets last night and by splitting up the journeys in to smaller sections the above site said I had saved £270  ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »

Sounds like a nice trip, Mike.  We revisted Skye and the outer Islands in 2016, really enjoyed it.   When bored, I often set up a slide show of photos from that trip on the TV then sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the memories. :)

Living where I do, GWR region and Hitachi rolling stock, first class is no longer the treat it once was.   But I believe (correct me?) Virgin still use the lovely old HSTs?   In GWR at least, first class in an HST used to be a sumptuous experience.   And surprisingly affordable, if you looked for bargains!

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:32:37 AM »

I like to travel on the The Class 390 Pendolino
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_390

''What's often forgotten is that much of the technology enabling trains to tilt as they enter bends - using sensors and hydraulic jacks - was developed in the UK. The Advanced Passenger Train''

That is what I worked on, that is why I like tilting trains  ;D

Before I worked on the above I worked on HST's  ;D and yes 45 years later they are still running  :).

Still some HST's on GWR running to Penzance but being replaced.  :no:

The 'Caledonian Night sleeper' is getting new rolling stock at the cost of £100M with  'En-suite rooms with toilet and showers' Double and single bedrooms, Hopefully they will be in service by late June  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »

@Mike, you probably know this but in case you don’t, there’s a two episode series lurking on Demand 5, Ch 5’s catchup.

It is entitled “Intercity 125”.   Unlike you, I am in no position to judge historical accuracy or technical merit.  But I watched it a few months ago and, from my position of ignorance, rather enjoyed it. :)

Istrc there was another series about APT.  Can’t seem to find it, thought it was Demand 5, but might be wrong. :-\

I do hope B*Cat does not object to verging off topic.  My hunch is, he won’t. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 08:54:31 PM »

I do hope B*Cat does not object to verging off topic.  My hunch is, he won’t. :)

No objections, whatsoever.  ;)  This thread is one of many under the "Chit Chat" heading. The gentle meandering, that occurs with threads located here, can often prove to be very interesting.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »

Anyone coming to visit needs a car for their own mobility. Otherwise lifts from station etc free to kitizens says Mrs Weaver.

It’s miles cheaper to fly to Inverness than to go on the train, to Inverness to Kyle or to Mallaig + ferry.

Would be absolutely over the moon to see Burakkucat and any other kitizens. Don’t ever see anyone at all.