Chat > Chit Chat

Planning a Train Journey

(1/3) > >>

burakkucat:
Knowing that our friend Weaver is having a bit of a problem with one of his ZyXEL VMG1312-B10As (and also his Raspberry Pi), b*cat decided to plan a train journey.  :)

On entering BSE as the point of departure, KYL as the destination into the National Rail web-site and specifying the first train departing around 0800 hours on Monday 7th January, 2019, the journey was planned. It showed --

Dep.  From                                 To                                   Arr.     Dur.        Chg.

08:33 Bury St Edmunds [BSE] Platform 1  >  Kyle of Lochalsh [KYL] Platform 1    20:31    11h 58m     3

As three changes of train would be required, the journey details were examined --

Bury St Edmunds [BSE] to Peterborough [PBO]      1h 07m
Peterborough [PBO]    to Edinburgh [EDB]         3h 31m
Edinburgh [EDB]       to Inverness [INV]         3h 31m
Inverness [INV]       to Kyle of Lochalsh [KYL]  2h 37m

Just to the west of the station, at Kyle of Lochalsh, is "Skye Car Hire" from whence I planned to obtain a suitable vehicle for the last leg of the journey. A drive westwards on the A87 would take me over the Skye Bridge and, continuing on that road, eventually to the left turn, just before the "Claymore Restaurant", that leads to Heasta and "The Weaving Shed".

Finally, as an afterthought, the price of the cheapest train fare was checked, £192-00.  :o  :swoon:

Upon recovery, b*cat then proceeded to unpack his back-pack removing a laptop computer, a time-domain reflectometer, a USB to serial converter, various cables, a Krone punch-down tool, a set of screwdrivers and other assorted "doings" . . . as, unfortunately, that is a journey he will not be making.  :(

j0hn:
Train bookings can be a funny thing.

It's usually cheaper to book the 3 individual train journeys than buying a single ticket with the exact same 3 trains included.
I think it's referred to as split ticketing.

Booking 2 singles is often cheaper than a return also.

edit: https://raileasy.trainsplit.com

£125.53 when split.

--- Quote ---You have chosen an advance split ticket for £125.53. That's a saving of £66.47 or 36.87%, compared to buying the equivalent through ticket. Prices include our share of your saving (which is a small percentage of any saving you make - if you don't save money using our system, we won't charge you a fee).
--- End quote ---

Few £ cheaper if you do it yourself.
Trains certainly aren't cheap!

2nd edit: same journey on 1st Feb £192
Split ticket £92.89

Huge savings can be made booking individual trains in advance.

Ronski:
I got the same fare down to £85 single and a return is £139.78.  This is using a senior* travel card which can be used on multiple journeys for the next year, and costs £30

https://splitticketing.trainsplit.com

*Hopefully I haven't over estimated b*cat's age.

Ronski:
In addition to the above you can use £10 worth of Tesco Club Card vouchers to purchase a rail card - we did this for our daughter.

See also https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-train-tickets/#splittickets

sevenlayermuddle:
Echo the suggestion of senior railcard, if age qualifies.  I occasionally even use mine to splash out on first class, as the discount applies to all ticket types. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version