Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LED's  (Read 1258 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
LED's
« on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:09 PM »

On our 6 year old Ford B-Max car the rear number plate light is a combined light and boot release switch.

The light some times works and other times when switched on will flash on for a few seconds on go off
Taking the unit out of the boot lid, then taking it to bits find it has a printed circuit board with a miniature  push button switch and the LED lamp (not as the manual says a 5 watt bulb !) and a host of electronics to I would say control the LED.
Would you say this LED is at the end of it's life ?.
Replacing the LED does not seem to be possible due it's very small size.

Ford charge £50 just to buy the unit  :'(
There seems to be no other place to buy one.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: LED's
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »

Could well be the led unit itself, or at least (and more likely imo), the associated driver circuitry included in the pcb of the unit.   Personally though, at that price, I’d check for supply wiring faults first, before condemning the led unit.  Can you put a voltmeter on the led unit, to ascertain whether the supply might be intermittent, as opposed to the unit itself being intermittent?

I know that on some cars, a weak point is the cluster of flexible wiring that links the car body to the hinged boot or tailgate.  The wiring harmess can get chaffed or trapped, leading to damage.    If it a simple cluster of wires, you could try gently manipulating it to see if it affects the light?

On other cars I’ve had (an old Astra springs to mind) there was no wiring link at all, just three plungers on the tailgate that made contact with three plates in the lower edge of the frame, above the bumper.   Problem there was, unwanted things could get trapped in the contacts, breaking the circuit, or shorting it and blowing fuses.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »

There's nearly always another place, it just finding the relevant info, namely the Ford part number, which appears to be 1834376 according to the following thread. Also part number BM5119B514AE which is to be found on the rear of the light.

https://www.bmaxownersclub.co.uk/forum/11-main-message-centre/1317-ford-b-max-tailgate-release-switch-light.html

There should be some numbers on the back of the lamp, googling those will usually come up with an alternative supply.

Doe it look like these:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263684030993
     www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113187479421
     www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382659591812  (from Hong Kong)

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »

Wiring seemed ok, bench testing the unit with a psu it does the same, LED comes on for 1 second and goes off.

As my wife needs this car to go the new years day football match instead of using our new car,
 I have soldered a small 12V 3W festoon bulb to the pcb and that will do as a temporary fix.
Works ok and boot latch still works ok.

yes those links are similar units (my search skills need more practice  :-\)

MOT in 18 days. :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.