Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Netflix - two year old TV now obsoleted.  (Read 10684 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Netflix - two year old TV now obsoleted.
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2019, 03:57:46 AM »

Some versions of iPlayer don't specify HD but say something like "Best Quality" or some similar term.

Did you have it directly plugged in to the TV?   Both of mine are attached via the dongly thingy rather than direct into the socket, so not sure if that makes any difference.

Direct to the TV yes, powered by the Tv's usb port.
It's a Hitachi (Vestel) TV I inherited for the bedroom a couple years ago.

The only TV I've ever owned where Firesticks/Chromecasts keep playing after the TV is switched off.
Turn the TV back on half an hour later and it would be a further 30 minutes into playing whatever was streaming.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2019, 07:41:23 AM »

The only TV I've ever owned where Firesticks/Chromecasts keep playing after the TV is switched off.
Turn the TV back on half an hour later and it would be a further 30 minutes into playing whatever was streaming.

that'll be because the USB port continues to be powered when the TV is in standby mode.
most kill the power to the USB when in standby mode.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »

It both powers the usb port and doesn't tell the devices the input has changed. The hdmi cec doesn't work at all.

The usb still providing power shouldn't matter as many power them from wall sockets anyway.
Brand new tv's should have working hdmi-cec, it has been around for years.

My other bedroom has an 8-9 year old Sony Bravia.
It can continue to provide usb power when the TV is switched to standby but the 2nd Gen Chromecast connected to it knows the TV has been turned off.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »

My LG in the bedroom kills the USB power when the TV is put in standby.
does mean that the firestick plugged in to it gets power cycled every day so it always running as fast as it should.
i only use it for the Dreamplayer app anyway, so i can watch live TV from my zgemma box in the livingroom.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »

Most/all modern TVs seem to have a two-stage standby.   When you switch off, it initially enters a standby state but still consuming significant power.   After a period, maybe about 10-15 minutes, if you have not changed your mind, they enter a deeper sleep, consumption dropping to a fraction of a Watt.

I think the reason for the first stage is, if you do change your mind and power on again, it is less stressful on the TV’s electronics.  It’s probably also quicker.     Point is though, it is quite possible that USB power might be maintained in the first phase, then turned off for the deeper sleep that follows?

Only way to distinguish between the two states, on my Sony or Panasonic at least, is to connect to the mains via a plug in power meter, and then check at intervals until it drops to <1 Watt.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]