Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Netflix - two year old TV now obsoleted.  (Read 10681 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Netflix - two year old TV now obsoleted.
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »

I actually watched Black Mirror: Bander snatch last night, I didn't enjoy it and certainly don't want to see things moving in this direction.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »

I should have added that the new one was needed a few days before xmas initially so no time to get one on the net. Also I do like to see what I'm buying with something like this to make sure it is good enough, I dont trust online reviews - too many fake reviews.

Stuart

so if you end up with just 1 shop in your area and it only stocks the cheap rubbish that is the Vestel range of TVs that's all you'll buy?
i don't take notice of any online reviews, but i do my own research and will almost always buy online, as it means it's usually cheaper and it'll get delivered to me.

the short notice thing changes that a little, but if it came to buying a crap TV or waiting then i'd always wait.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 12:18:36 PM »

SLM I got no doubt if developers tried then old android would run on new phones, after all its just modded linux, but both custom rom developers and the phone manufacturers have no motivation to do so, so it doesnt get done, what I meant was tho that you dont typically need to do a custom build of linux to boot new hardware on an old version, it usually just works.  Whilst each build of android is catered for specific hardware, so when you change that hardware it usually doesnt work.

Does a usb stick really add that much to standby power?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »

All TVs have pros and cons and I have more than one shop locally. This TV is fine and it replaces a Samsung one which packed up after 4 years just before xmas and it was the main TV for the house so needed to be replaced quickly. Yes the JVC one has a couple of minor annoyances but I have yet to find a make which does not having had Samsung and LG TVs and SONY HDD recorder they all have minor annoyances.

I like to shop locally and support local traders where possible and they are not always more expensive, for example we needed a new washing machine earlier this year and the local man did what we wanted installed it and disposed of the old one all for a better price than I could get online, yes the machine price was a bit less but to have it installed and the old one disposed of plus delivery  brought the total to significantly more than I ended up paying.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 12:35:10 PM »

SLM I got no doubt if developers tried then old android would run on new phones, after all its just modded linux, but both custom rom developers and the phone manufacturers have no motivation to do so, so it doesnt get done, what I meant was tho that you dont typically need to do a custom build of linux to boot new hardware on an old version, it usually just works.  Whilst each build of android is catered for specific hardware, so when you change that hardware it usually doesnt work.

old versions would definitely run, it just needs the drivers and support for the new hardward to be written.
the "version" of android isn't the only part of android. google play services is what delivers most features, and that is seperate to the android "version".
older "versions" of android can receive new features when google play services is updated and pushed out, and that covers lots of older devices.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 12:37:13 PM »

yes the machine price was a bit less but to have it installed and the old one disposed of plus delivery  brought the total to significantly more than I ended up paying.

disposal of the old washing machine is something all sellers have to offer i believe (due to a law introduced some time ago). not sure if they are allowed to charge for that though.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 01:01:33 PM »

I wouldn't buy any rebadged Vestel TV personally, certainly not for my main TV.

JVC, Hitachi, Bush, Alba, Finlux (and many more smaller brands) and the cheaper Panasonic and Sharp Tv's (they only make their own high end Tv's now) are/were all made by Vestel in Turkey.

It's very easy to tell if your TV is a Vestel.
It has made in Turkey on the back, and the paper label with the model number stuck on has a barcode with 4 numbers boxed off.
Only Vestel do this 4 number box off on the barcode and it's simply the year code for Vestel TVs.
2 examples attached below.

Lots of the brands you used to know haven't made their own products for years, sometimes outsourcing, often selling the brand name off.

Argos own a bunch of Manufacturer names or the exclusive licence to sell them.
The same way JVC still exists, but they haven't made tv's for nearly 20 years. Currys have TV's made cheap by Vestel and then slap a JVC label on it, rather than their own names like Matsui/Grundig.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:04:30 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2019, 01:10:23 PM »

Depends whether the USB is power during stanby, I guess.

My guess would be “hardly anything”, but for a plug in USB device, I’d pitch in with a gambit of  maybe around 2-5 watts.   Repeat that is just a wild guess, base on hazy recollectings of USB things I have actually measured.   If in doubt feel it, if it’s luke warm, it’ll be consuming at least a few watts.

Despite that wattage being nearly nothing, a very wild  estimate of annual cost in pounds sterling can be made by equating the Watts to Pounds per year.   So a device using 10 Watts continuously might be costing you around £10 a year, (very very very) approximately.   

Flip side of course, if it is consuming power in winter, it is contributing to heating your home, so might be saving a similar amount in central heating bills.    No simple answer, really.     :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »

i can imagine everyone huddled around the USB stick trying to keep warm  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »

:)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »

Must be a Fire TV stick  ;D

Edit, Actually that's HDMI  :blush:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »

It's actually both, as are most TV sticks.
HDMI for TV input and USB for power.

Not aware of any TV sticks that don't use HDMI.

My Firestick is in the back of a drawer somewhere now but it did indeed get pretty hot!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2019, 10:20:47 PM »

I refuse to sign up to an account, Freeview Play for BBC also stopped working.   I don’t think Channel 4 or ITV have ever worked, as I refuse to set up accounts for them either.

Revisiting this because yesterday someone else was using the TV remote on my main TV and attempted to watch something through Toshiba Places... and for the first time I was asked for a login, so it looks like iplayer are 'catching up' (haha!) on all platforms.   Because someone was here I didn't want to be messing around entering passwords etc, so at the time I switched to the Firestick,...  but...

today I decided to review what info I had given the BBC.   They have the following info

- email address
- an alias display name (Not my real name)
- Year of birth (I don't think this was necessary - I'm sure I only put it in to stop the nag screen for certain age content authorisation)
- Postcode ( Necessary to identify correct regional news - but tbh I think I could have put any PC in)

None of the info aside from perhaps my Post code (but not house #) ties up with info held by NTVRLO. 

I think we discussed this topic several months back when iplayer first started asking for login and I will just say I honestly don't mind the fact that iplayer does have my login info.  I have even gone so far as to opt for "personalisation" which you don't have to.   I actually find it quite handy now because it remembers how much of a program I have watched, so no messing around if I swap between TV's.  It's also recommend a couple of progs for me based on my past viewing.. of which I have actually enjoyed a couple programs. (again you can easily switch recommends off)
I also aim to watch a box set it's recommended for me today, of which normally I may have completely missed, but upon reading the blurb it sounds like something I would enjoy.

So thought I'd report to you that several months back we were moaning about having to sign in, but now I find it perfectly fine and actually beneficial.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2019, 10:26:55 PM »

My Firestick is in the back of a drawer somewhere now but it did indeed get pretty hot!

I've just checked.   Neither of my are.   
Did you have it directly plugged in to the TV?   Both of mine are attached via the dongly thingy rather than direct into the socket, so not sure if that makes any difference.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2019, 10:48:37 PM »

Thanks for the update re iPlayer login.

My gripe is just a point of principle, I hate signing up to accounts.   I hate having to think of a new password, and I feel a shiver run down my spine when I skip reading the T&C small print, as we nearly always do.   Anytime I am purchasing anything online, and the checkout process mandates register an account, I look elsewhere for somebody who’ll let me checkout as guest.   Only as a last resort do I register accounts.

However... a few days ago other half remembered she’d set up an account at BBC ages ago; she worries less than I do.  So we are using iPlayer on the Panasonic TV again.   Glad we’re signed in as her not me, though, as we subsequently had to confirm a tick box,  “I have a TV licence”.    Since the licence is in her name that was fine.   If logged in as myself, I’d probably have declined to confirm.   We’ve lived together for several decades so her licence covers the house and is perfectly valid for my use, but even so I know the nightmare that can ensue if TV licencing pick up on anything that they wrongly think is the least bit suspicious. :'(

IPlayer on Apple TV contunues to work without login, but only in SD.  Can’t remember if it was always that way, I thought it used to be HD. ???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5