Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Best filters to use? (Active or Passive)..?

<< < (2/5) > >>

snadge:

--- Quote from: j0hn on December 28, 2018, 07:51:10 PM ---I'd recommend an OpenReach MK3 SSFP if you have an NTE5A master socket.

If you have the newer rounded NTE5C them buy an OpenReach MK4 that fits the newer master sockets.

I don't recommend any of the other faceplates currently on run-it-direct.

--- End quote ---

if u dont use a filter.. does a modem have a high pass filter built in?

burakkucat:
Every modem has a high-pass filter in its input stage.

Edinburgh_lad:

--- Quote from: burakkucat on December 28, 2018, 04:54:12 PM ---The first question that you should answer is: Do you intend to use the circuit for telephony?

If your answer is "No", then do as Weaver and do not install a centralised splitter/filter. If your answer is "Yes", then use an Openreach branded NTE5/A and Mk 3 SSFP.

Don't use "historic" "ADSLnation" items. The company ceased to exist some years ago and old stock is still being sold-off. Those "XTE" devices were designed for ADSL2+ and not for the wider bandwidth of VDSL2.

--- End quote ---

I'm confused by your statement that ADSLNation is bad because VDSL2's wide bandwidth. Do you have any scientific evidence to back up your claims? I thought the role of a filter was to filter out telephony signal, rather than broadband signal. Really confused now.

burakkucat:
The can be filters that either block or pass low frequencies, high frequencies or a band of frequencies. (In that one sentence I have covered six separate scenarios.)

A simple, rat's-tail, microfilter will just have a low-pass filter before the telephony port and nothing before the xDSL modem port. All modems (modem/routers) have a high-pass filter internally just before their analogue front-end.

Centralised filters (service specific face plates (SSFPs) in Openreach talk) will contain a combination of low-pass, high-pass and band-pass filters depending upon the service for which they have been optimised.

Those old ADSLnation centralised filters were designed for ADSL/ADSL2+ as that was only what existed "back then".

Alex Atkin UK:
Pretty sure mine was an ADSL Nation ADSL v1, was absolutely fine on VDSL until it eventually failed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version