Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband For the Surrey Hills (B4SH) is Now Operational  (Read 1993 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Broadband For the Surrey Hills (B4SH) is Now Operational
« on: December 21, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »

As of December 2018, B4SH now have their initial subscribers' circuits live and operational.  :congrats:

I'll just provide a link to the B4SH blog entry which announced the news.

I'm sure Walter will be along to post an update, when time permits.

[Edited to fix a typo.]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:30:28 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Broadband For the Surrey Hills (B4SH) is Now Operational
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »

It's certainly good to end the year on a high but we know that we require more connections next year, most of which will be in new areas each with clusters of denser properties.
Thankfully our soft dig strategy won't be affected by extra road crossings - except when we observe other utilities are doing them for ongoing future works.

Apart from holiday activities we will occupy ourselves with some quiet planning and contemplation.
Don't expect major announcements for some time yet !

Happy Christmas to all our interested Kitz readers.

Walter

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:55:09 PM »

Thankfully our soft dig strategy won't be affected by extra road crossings - except when we observe other utilities are doing them for ongoing future works.

I also notice mention on the blog about this also.
How exactly does this work?

I assume you don't turn up with a roll of ducting and ask if you can throw it in the hole they just dug, though part of me hopes this is the answer  :D

Congrats to you and BASH and seasons greetings to you Walter :)
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:00:44 AM »

Some superb development like B4RN would be great up here. The problem here though is these mega landlords who claim to own everything for miles around. I wonder whether that would prevent this kind of development in such parts of the Highlands.

I wonder what B4xx does about such things as IP addressing for users? And I wonder about suitability for business users - who may need such things as routed IPv4 address blocks or IPv6. I’ve not heard any mention of B4RN business users, for some reason, and some of the B4SH site is clearly aimed at home users. That’s the kind of user that is in mind. But with this high reliability and symmetric high performance, B4XX is a stunning offering for businesses provided lack of ‘x’ thing isn’t a showstopper - such as ‘lack of feature <x>’, tech support or even SLAs.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:19:05 AM »

Do I get a fixed public IP address, or a block of IP addresses?
By default we will issue 1 static IP address per premises. We expect many users to install a gateway/router/firewall/WiFi hub on the end of the line and that will handle additional internal address allocations and use NAT to share the single address.If the user is taking VoIP services connected directly to our CPE switch then an additional IP address will be allocated for that. However we have no problem with allocating additional addresses or blocks of addresses if required so long as the end user knows what to do with them and makes a case to us. We have to justify our address blocks to RIPE who will want to see the case for assigning them. Given the shortage of IPv4 addresses we might be forced towards IPv6 numbering if a user wants to take a block but the B4RN network will support both protocol stacks.

They serve many many businesses.

Sounds like no charge for additional IP when needed.

Very fair that they add "only if required" with home packages only costing £30.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:24:28 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 09:07:48 AM »

Quite so, thanks to J0hn for spotting that FAQ.

IPv4 addresses are expensive for them nowadays, and so if they are available free to the end user then that’s superb. It’s very good that they speak IPv6. And indeed RIPE will want to know that the user is going to be using the IPv4 addresses allocated, including allowance for room for future growth, iirc.

It sounds superb anyway, I’m glad they have business customers. I perhaps was too stupid and just didn’t find the marketing material aimed at business users on the website, but if not then I would like it if they would publicise the fact that they are business-friendly too.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 05:54:03 PM »

Hello Everybody and apologies for my tardy reply talking about B4SH.
See gigupanddown.net

I should point out that although we do our own local civil engineering we are part of the B4RN network too so closely follow their designs including their rules for fixed IP addresses.

Both organisations rely on local investment on a parish basis for B4RN and on a cluster basis for B4SH.
We don't "aim" at business users but usually all the properties within a stated boundary.
Everyone gets an unlimited 1 Gbps symmetric service with a reasonable acceptable use policy but we have to reprimand those pirating copyright content etc.
Every property is provided with a pair of point-to-point fibres in buried tubes everywhere; i.e. shared asymmetric services are not offered anywhere.
Every service can demonstrate over 900 Mbps upload and download via an ethernet connection PROVIDED the computer can achieve that and the Ookla application is hosted by organisations providing sufficient capacity.
Some hosts do not have sufficient capacity and other speed testers are sometimes wanting, particularly if their sponsors have differing ambitions !
BT Lancashire is one such hoster that does not seem able to cope, at least for us in Surrey, but that is perhaps understandable.

B4RN has been growing since 2012 and must have well over 5,000 connections stretched over an area larger than the M25 circle and employ over 20 staff whereas B4SH is still very young and relies entirely upon volunteers at present.
Thus our SLA can only be on a "reasonable endeavours" basis at present but that's quite manageable with a small number of business and domestic connections in a small "Soft Dig" area.
We install one or two 63 mm MDPE ducts with four 16 mm blown fibre tubes inside in every place we discover road crossings that could potentially be of use.
We also avoid road crossings where practical by using steel tubing under river bridges etc.

Afterthought:- Our initial area is almost entirely within the Duke of Northumberland's Albury estate where we have very kindly been given free wayleaves wherever we want them.
Given the scarcity of gigabit services, property in such areas usually attracts a premium.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:09:52 PM by waltergmw »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »

Inspiring. ;D

anything