Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ADSL strange  (Read 4374 times)

rongtw

ADSL strange
« on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »

Hi all , well i just moved to Bridlington east yorkshire  :cool: :) with Plusnet i was on FTTC 80/20 previously but had to go to ADSL as Cabinet 32 is full  :( anyhow my line keeps dropping 3 - 4 times a day , i had a BT engineer who fitted a new filtered  faceplate , and max speed i can get is 9 down and 0.8 up  ??? i was told by PN i should get  19/1.2  BT wholesale say i am about right .
after engineer visit it dropped about 4 hours later then again this morning  :-X  Plusnet have increased my SNR to 16 to see if this helps 
Any ideas ?? attached is PN test report

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL strange
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:03:35 PM »

. . . had to go to ADSL as Cabinet 32 is full  :(  . . .

:(

. . . max speed i can get is 9 down and 0.8 up  ???

That agrees with the estimate for a circuit connecting through NYBNN_P32. Basically Plusnet are wrong and BT Wholesale are correct.

Plusnet have increased my SNR to 16 to see if this helps 

It might help the stability but it will depress your synchronisation speed and, thus, the overall throughput speed that you attain.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rongtw

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »

Thanks for the reply Burakkucat  :) yes touch wood it has been more stable , but terrible for uploading a photo to facebook .
and of course there is NO way to see when BT are adding a larger cabinet  ::)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »

Plusnet have increased my SNR to 16 to see if this helps 

I'm afraid that's a typical Plusnet cop-out.  Increasing noise margin is simply a way of telling your line to run slower.  If a line as short as I think yours is can't maintain sync at 6dB then there's a fault, but it's easier for Plusnet to take the easy way of papering over it.   

rongtw

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:15:36 PM »

This is what Plusnet sent me "" Having tested your line today it appears the throughput and speed issues of the connection may be due to a setting being incorrect.

The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the line to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated.

The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, so by increasing this we expect the connection to now stabilize and for the information to be received without interference.

Please monitor the connection over the next couple of days, if this has not resolved the issue, we will then need to inspect your line in closer detail.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online via Online Chat or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of further assistance. ""  but i just had a No Net warning  :no: :no:

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »

In my opinion that's nonsense, you need a more competent and helpful ISP.  That's the sort of attitude that made me leave Plusnet.

I don't suppose they gave any explanation for this bit .. "The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, ", What amount of interference do the "expect to see"?  Did they give any reason for their view that your line experiences abnormally high interference, and that the fault is not in fact a fault?   I had to send them back it seems like dozens of time to fix a clearly audible buzz on our line, fighting their repeated assertion that this was interference outside their control.  It wasn't, it was a smashed junction box.  As soon as that was fixed I changed ISP.

rongtw

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »

Oh yes , have told them its no better  :P  in fact 20 mins ago i dropped my connection  >:( but i dont expect any movement till after christmas

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »

That's just some boilerplate text they dish out when what they decide to do is increase the target SNRM. It's hardly surprising that if you're complaining about stability and the line tests don't show anything wrong, that what they'll do is increase the target SNRM. If all the BT engineer did was fit a new master socket and faceplate, they I presume they didn't find anything wrong either.

rongtw

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »

Hi EJS , nice to see you,,  BT engineer could not find anything  :no: :no: Plusnet did no changes until i sent them this capture

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »

Have you tried another modem?

That message coming from that device is rather a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »

Worst modem ever.
I'd rather use the Plusnet Hub One, everyday of the week.

I have the RT-AC68U (essentially identical but without the modem part). It's a great router.

I had the DSL-AC68U once upon a time. The Mediatek chipset inside is simply horrendous.

I used mine as a modified RT-AC68U by installing Merlins firmware on it but eventually sold it and bought a proper RT-AC68U.

If you haven't already done so, try another modem. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the cause of your issues.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

rongtw

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »

Hi Yes i previously had the hub one connected , and had similar results but i could not see the router log , and cannot set time schedules for sons phone and PS4 .
But i will use the Hub one for next few days see if it changes :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »

Hi all , well i just moved to Bridlington east yorkshire  :cool: :) with Plusnet i was on FTTC 80/20 previously but had to go to ADSL as Cabinet 32 is full.....

Check the wholesale checker daily, preferably early in the morning and get an order in quick when a port becomes available. Bad news is it's an ECI cabinet. Also the fault will still be present with VDSL if it's between the house and cabinet.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

rongtw

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »

well so far the Plusnet Hub one has made no difference , except i get 11 down not 10  :lol: 
Best not say that again  ::)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:27:56 PM by rongtw »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »

Can you post the DSL stats from the router, attenuation, sync speed, noise margin?
Pages: [1] 2