Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ADSL Line Outages - Equipment or Line  (Read 9913 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL Line Outages - Equipment or Line
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:23:55 PM »

Annoying utter nonsense.  :o

I'm sure A&A will ask the relevant question of BTW, if you mention it them.  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »

We've not got another engineer appointment booked.   The trouble I think is that BT isn't looking at this as a whole.  They checked today when the line was in it's failed state, confirmed no PPP session established or even trying to establish, confirmed that clearing a session on other ports immediately reconnects.  From that they conclude it must be at my end.  Concluding "I would say the fact we are receiving no PPP requests from this EU is contributed to the poor quality copper line and resetting the CPE/ port temporarily resolves this as the ADSL sync re-trains"

I think it's got A&A at a bit of a loss as well.  However we'll see what comes of the engineer visit.  Next stage might be another change of CPE,  A&A are suggesting trying a D-Link modem.  Although not sure what that proves, if it works OK have we just proved that a couple of months ago the line became incompatible with anything except D-Link?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »

In some episodes the router SNR has dropped down to near zero or even sub zero, this drop happening instantaneously but followed by small variations around that value for the remainder of the outage.

In the past, I've had periods where the DSL has remained connected but not in any particularly useful state. But this was always very obvious from looking at graphs of errors and usually also visible, perhaps to a smaller extent, on the SNRM graphs. Usually I'd have a very slow connection with very high packet loss rather than no connection at all. I think it's a possibility that some sort of noise spike leaves the equipment at one or other end of the connection stuck in a not useful state, but doesn't drop the DSL link, and therefore a manual retrain fixes it. What looks like a vast amount of noise could be an ordinary amount of noise affecting a bad line/wiring.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »

The thing that strikes me is that it happens from one minute to the next, with no apparent warning or periods where it looks like it might have nearly failed.  One minute zero or near zero CRCs, next minute there are 4,000 and it stays at 4,000 per minute until the reset.   See attached from this morning covering the end of one episode when I manually re-trained at around 06:00 then the clean spell before the start of the next outage at 06:50.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 07:33:17 PM »

If you enabled "sesdrop", perhaps it would retrain automatically after a short time.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »

Cheers, will give that a try.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »

BT engineer on site yesterday, and over the phone he told me he'd fixed a couple of issues on the physical line, and changed equipment at the exchange.  He reckons the underlying fault is our neighbours electric fence, which of course we know about but which hasn't caused this particular type of failure before.   However in a sense it's a "get out of jail free" card for BT.  At least this time he confirmed that he'd measured the same error rates on a number of other lines on that main cable.   Interesting also that he reckoned the interference could have caused damage at the exchange, I wonder how they'd deal with that if it was the case.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »

BT engineer on site yesterday, and over the phone he told me he'd fixed a couple of issues on the physical line, and changed equipment at the exchange.  He reckons the underlying fault is our neighbours electric fence, which of course we know about but which hasn't caused this particular type of failure before.   However in a sense it's a "get out of jail free" card for BT.  At least this time he confirmed that he'd measured the same error rates on a number of other lines on that main cable.   Interesting also that he reckoned the interference could have caused damage at the exchange, I wonder how they'd deal with that if it was the case.
I was going to say that CRC graph looks just like ours when the fencing is on in the summer months :(

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »

Yes and no.   When the line is in it's normal state, ie after all DLM stuff has been reset, we get around 60-70 CRCs per minute, dropping to zero when the fence is off.  See attached.  There's no change in SNR with the fence on or off, and that error rate doesn't affect throughput.  This has been the case since Nov 2016.

The more recent fault symptoms of 3000+ CRCs per minute and complete failure at the PPP level do not appear to relate to when the fence is switched on or off.  For example the outages often start late at night or in the small hours.   And they are cleared immediately on a retrain.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »

My Dad had this fault on his circuit, and would clear if you rebooted it.... :-\
Several tests later by me and changing the modem to a 8324 did not make any difference.
Rang up provider and they found the UG section of the cable had been damaged by contractors at some point.
So OR located and dug up the affected part and all is well now.
During all this the phone/ voice part did not show any noises.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »

That's interesting.  Maybe this latest work will resolve it, the guy definitely found and fixed two copper line faults.  It's not failed since, but then I think it went just over a week without fault after the lift and shift.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »

the symptons you describe may well get resolved by change of modem, sometimes ive had a modem which doesn't like the line behaviour, bitswapping will seize up, then errors skyrocket until a resync which wakes up bitswapping again, this wad in my adsl days granted but symptoms match

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

That sounds plausible as well, maybe both Billion and Zyxel were affected because both have Broadcom chip sets.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »

Clearly not fixed by the latest BT work, we had a few outages over the weekend.  I'm not sure where we go from here, the fence has been there in it's current form since Autumn 2016 without causing this particular issue.  And although non-technical neighbours may not be conscious of a slowdown they would surely have noticed if they suddenly have to keep rebooting their routers.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »

If you enabled "sesdrop", perhaps it would retrain automatically after a short time.
Sorry for bumping this, but do you know what the threshold is for this setting - ie how many SES it takes to trigger?   Also do you know if the setting is retained after a retrain, for example I have found that the telnet command to tweak SNR is not effective only for the retrain that it triggers and not for any subsequent retrains.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3