Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spider eater  (Read 1556 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Spider eater
« on: December 20, 2018, 07:28:35 AM »

Every day this week, my kitten, Pangur Bān, has caught a spider on the ceiling and scoffed it above my bed.

Why is it that some cats love eating insects, spiders and certain creepy-crawlies? I can’t see how they would be good eating. Playing with them perhaps, but a crunchy snack?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Spider eater
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »

Every day this week, my kitten, Pangur Bān, has caught a spider on the ceiling and scoffed it above my bed.

No two-legged upright can possibly understand the mind of the domestic cat!  :D

What has amused me is how that simple sentence can be interpreted in more than one way --
  • The kitten, Pangur Bān, was on the ceiling and whilst he was up there, he caught a spider and ate it.
  • A spider, on the ceiling, was caught by the kitten, Pangur Bān, who then ate it.
I have not bothered to increase the number of permutations by incorporating the three words "above my bed" into the two interpretations.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »

I’m in what is a greatly extended black house, it would have originally been thatched is made of six foot thick double stone walls and is only one and a half storeys high effectively. The ceiling comes right down at an angle to my head when I am in bed. I have never bumped my head when getting in or out of bed but my wife may have once, I forget.

Pangur Bān raises himself up on anything that he can find, to gain another couple of inches of height. Sitting on my chest or arm is fine with him. This allows him to get nearer to the latest spider. He stands on two legs and seizes the biastag, or damhan-allaidh. I have been wondering for twenty years why a spider is a ‘fierce little stag’.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 06:36:50 PM »

I did wonder.   I had visitations of a cat walking on the ceiling  :D

We used to do spider cat with one of my kittehs..   

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFaRPomFj0[/youtube]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »

You were actually allowed to do it? Without any resultant blood-letting?  :o

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 07:02:05 PM »

He loved it.   
Well he never complained  ;)
If he said 'Mom I don't like this' then of course I would have stopped immediately!

Joking aside, he was a placid cat who lapped up any attention he got.   I've had some weirded cats over the years.    :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 07:38:53 PM »

Talking of weird cats & blood-lettings.

Mine had an accident last week.   He'd been out for his morning wee and came back wet through.   His underbelly and back legs were covered in black mud/sludge which stank.  No alternative but to bath him.

He's only had a bath once before which was about 7yrs ago.  He'd been neutered and soiled himself whilst coming round from the anaesthetic and although the vets had tried to clean him up as best they could, there was no way I could entertain him lying on my furniture with a smelly backside.   That was a nightmare.  Took 3 of us to get him clean and there was plenty of blood-letting.

I was dreading doing what could not immediately be put off on my own with only one fully functioning arm.  Dumped him into a luke warm bath and waited for the battle to commence.

Virtual Mars bar for the person who correctly guesses the outcome and the number of scratches.

I will update tomorrow.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 08:56:28 PM »

My guess is that he did not make a fuss and you got him clean & dry without any scratches. Unfortunately Zoe, the inquisitive, fell into the bath and you received a series of inadvertent scratches when trying to help her get out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »

I did wonder.   I had visitations of a cat walking on the ceiling  :D

I've just had a sudden memory of the start of the Simpson's Movie . . . Homer was holding a pig so as to get it to leave trotter-prints on the ceiling.  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »

I've just had a sudden memory of the start of the Simpson's Movie . . . Homer was holding a pig so as to get it to leave trotter-prints on the ceiling.  :D

Yes! Spider pig and the subsequent version of spider cat  :lol:

My guess is that he did not make a fuss and you got him clean & dry without any scratches. Unfortunately Zoe, the inquisitive, fell into the bath and you received a series of inadvertent scratches when trying to help her get out.

Hmmmm warm, yes and no..  because you thought outside the box  :D  It was not _quite_ so easy. 
This is a cat who runs a mile and will hide whenever I get the hairdryer out to do my own hair.   He's really scared of motorised noises such as hoovers/dryers etc.   I only have to wheel the hoover out of the laundry and he's out of the cat flap.

I have a vid which I uploaded to YouTube about an hour ago (not published until tomorrow).
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »

I will update tomorrow.

Been a bit hectic since I wrote that.  Xmas party.    Family over at the w/e for a meal, then my daughter and b/f on Xmas eve...  and then cooking xmas dinner.  On Wed I could hardly move due to pain. Thurs passed in a haze but I think I did some admin which I need to finish, but can't get my head around fully what is required due to pain killers.

Not complaining as it all went OK and I think everyone had a good time.  Enjoyed seeing my nieces, although the oldest no longer believes in Santa this year.

Back on topic.

One tiny scratch during the bathing process which was accidental.  - I turned on the shower to rinse him off and he jumped.   He was good as gold when I dried him though.      I think he rather enjoyed it in the end as you can see:-

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?[/youtube]

One nice clean kitteh who then tried to jump up on to the back of the desk chair... missed the chair and got my shoulders, then fell to floor.    Way more damage to my shoulder, neck and back done in those 2 seconds than the hour or so it took to bath him. :(

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:15:00 PM by kitz »
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 01:55:23 AM »

Am thinking about you then. My very best.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 01:32:08 AM »

One nice clean kitteh who then tried to jump up on to the back of the desk chair... missed the chair and got my shoulders, then fell to floor.    Way more damage to my shoulder, neck and back done in those 2 seconds than the hour or so it took to bath him. :(

Ouch!  :ouch:  :flower: