Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well that's IT then.....sigh  (Read 14475 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: Well that's IT then.....sigh
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS....YESSSSSSSSS......YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

It sounds like that scene from 'When Harry Met Sally'.

To replace the dreaded Norton, I recommend this combination of freebies for a (first rate) security suite:

Avast! anti-virus
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

Zone Alarm firewall
http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

*Spyware Terminator  (real time spyware protection)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_spyware_terminator/

Trust your uncle Floydie - you know it makes sense. ;)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »

Don't want hi jack your thread Chrissie,but I've also got HP digital image monitor on my task bar.What does it do?When I get a list of startup programmes,it says remove or disable.Which one should you use.If you select disable does it come back when you restart your computer?

Hi Uncy
No worries bout hijacking the thread, every little helps as they say and I'd like to know what it does too.  Also what does the Quick Time do... PLUS (sorry).... if you take them off of the task bar by disabling them how do you get them back?  Told you I was a thickie!!  :P

@Pwiggler.... here's a list of names in msconfig startup... some I understand, most I don't...

jusched
hpsysdrv .............drivers?
hpcmpmgr ...........computer manager?
hphupdo5 ............hp summat
KBD
RECGUARD
VT timer
ccApp
ps2
WkUfind
SND Mon
ALCXMNTR
qttask
RESET
iTunesHelper
pch button
backupnotify
Tea Timer.....................this is to do with SpyBot
HP Digital Imaging.............I have HP image zone et al
WRKCALREM......................works calendar

just wonder what I need and what I don't need.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »

chrissie

heres what they are, untick at your own perill - should be ok tho  ;)

jusched - java updater - leave it
hpsysdrv .............drivers? - untick it
hpcmpmgr ...........computer manager? - untick it
hphupdo5 ............hp summat - untick it
KBD - logitech keyboard options - leave it
RECGUARD - stops you deleting the recovery partition - leave it
VT timer - vid driver - leave it
ccApp - a norton module - it'll go when you remove norton
ps2 - logitech keyboard options - leave it
WkUfind - ms picture it module - untick it
SND Mon - sound driver?? dunno  leave it
ALCXMNTR - realtech monitor - untick it
qttask - quicktime app - untick it
RESET - hp software updater - leave it
iTunesHelper - thats upto you
pch button - dunno  leave it
backupnotify - hp backup app - leave it
Tea Timer.....................this is to do with SpyBot - leave it
HP Digital Imaging.............I have HP image zone et al - shouldnt need this one
WRKCALREM......................works calendar - upto you

if you find anything doesnt work after unticking any of them then you can go back into msconfig and retick 'em

Paul

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »

Chrissie,
Getting there. All hands to the pumps when the ship looks like it might sink.

Your Macromedia Shockwave v 8 is from the Ark. Adobe took over Macromedia a while ago.
Use the link I gave earlier to uninstall it and that will stop the updater ever coming back.
Then go to:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
And download the Adobe Shockwave Player v 11.

As for the startup list in MSCONFIG.

Jusched is the Java updater that only contacts Java once a month for updates but it starts every single day at boot up if you leave it ticked. Un tick it.
Have a read here how to stop it:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-juschedexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Pch button is not required at startup, untick it.

Itunes helper will start when a program requires it so untick it.

dave

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 07:56:18 AM »

UPDATE

With all the problems I've got with Norton's I am considering taking unit to a computer place and getting someone to upgrade the RAM (I've got 256MB RAM with shared graphics card of 64MB) so no wonder it's running slow.  Just wish I'd not had that bloke touch the computer to s*d Norton's up and just had the RAM upgrade instead.  Too late now.

I went to a computer place about 14 miles from me, I thought they were good from speaking to the guy there.  Said they could do the RAM in about half an hour so that impressed me as I expected them to keep it for a couple of days.  I asked about AV and yet again was told to ditch Norton's... SO... I will be doing that soon - it sez ere.  He said they could put on the AVG 8 (well I asked if they would do it).... they sell it at around £50 which covers 2 years.  I think if I get them to do all this that I will get them to give the PC an overhaul et al... it's just that after that guy came in I really don't trust anyone now.

Btw, found out why Norton's isn't working properly, there are some files from it missing off the start up..... don't suppose I can get those back can I?  Re AVG 8, have read a lot have problems with it and told the guy so, but he said none have that they've done, also he said with AVG I wouldn't need the spybot s & d and superantispyware or adaware on my computer as AVG 8 does it all.  Can someone confirm this for me please?

Thanks for bearing with this computer dummy, but I AM learning guys....it is sinking into this old grey cell (only got one) somewhere along the line  :D

Chrissie

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 08:13:22 AM »

Light at the end of the tunnel Chrissie. :).Definitely upgrade the RAM,my old PC only had 256MB,my new has 2GB,what a difference.I have McAfee security suite installed on my PC and as a bit of a novice I find it very good,just set it to do its job and no worries.
Can't confirm about AVG,but I'm sure someone will come along with an answer to your question.  :)

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 08:33:52 AM »

yeah avg8 does does do what they say but forget £50 .... use the free one as well as spybot and adaware, altho everytime i run them they dont find anything to worry about.

depends how much cash u have spare

Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 09:02:51 AM »

Err.... £50 for 2 years for AVG - like paul says, use the free one. Although at just over £2 a month it isn't bank-breaking, and I can see where people who want the hassle-free, all-in-one solutions are coming from.

As he described, the one he's selling you *should* be the paid for version, which as he stated correctly, does do all the jobs in one package.

As for RAM - what's he upgrading it to and how much is he charging to do it. Also what make and model of PC is it? Just to check the rough price of the component and therefore determine how much he's charging to do it - don't wanna see you get ripped off :) I'd reckon if he stuck in an extra 512MB or 1GB that would see you right for a while. I'd be tempted, if it isn't too much, to go for 1GB extra, then you probably wouldn't have to worry again for the rest of the PC's life. :)

UB, I think I've said it before, I'm not a fan of McAfee, simply because when it goes wrong, boy does it go wrong!! I've been to a few PCs that I've needed to completely remove McAfee before being able to get any kind of Internet access! Don't get me wrong, when it's working, it works pretty well, if not a little slow on older hardware, but it's a nightmare when it goes wrong.

For that reason I wouldn't recommend McAfee - they may end up paying a lot of money to somebody to sort it out for them!!

Good luck Chrissie :)
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

@ Mr Chris,the only reason I have Mcafee is that it came with 3 years free with my Dell.I had never had any security/anti virus software until then  :o.It has always worked fine,just hope after what you said it doesn't go wrong.
Chrissie sorry to hi-jack your thread a bit. :)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »

Hi Guys

(You're not hijacking the thread Uncy, every bit of info helps as far as I'm concerned).  I think the guy (it's Medway Computers) said the RAM upgrade would cost about £30 +vat. 

My system is as follows:  XP SP2 Hewlett Packard Pavilion A604 Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.80Ghz, 80 gig hdrive, 256Mb MB RAM (shared video memory Graphic up to 64 MB) so only 192 RAM really... ugh.  Running Norton's 2004 plus their firewall.

I would prefer them to upgrade to the highest it can have then hopefully no more probs (everything crossed).  I still don't like letting the unit go to anyone, prefer in home but having said that, the guy who came "in home" mucked the Norton's up anyway AND didn't know why the pc was running slow, said he'd have to find some software to put on and check out the reasons.... :o

I KNOW I've got to get something done especially as Norton's won't add the liveupdates cos he uggered it.... so I'm trying to get a price for all I want and them install everything and clean it.... I really haven't got the inclination to touch things and them go wrong and not be able to do it meself.

Will let you know what they say IF they email me back.  Thanks for your help once again, it's really appreciated.

Chrissie

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »

@Chrissie
After your earlier posting on this topic I felt encouraged to upgrade my RAM (from 512Mb to 2Gb)  I took the old RAM out completely and put in new cards which also ran at a much higher speed - 667Mhz instead of the old 400Mhz and I've been very pleased with the noticeable difference in the computer since I did the job.  I bought the memory from Dell and the 2Gb cost me £36.  I already had a separate Graphics card ( a Radeon X300).

Like Uncle UB I used to use McAfee 'cos it came with Dell but I stopped using it about 15 months ago and moved onto free AV and Firewall (I use Avast! for AV and Kerio for Firewall).  I also use Spybot, AdAware and SpywareBlaster.  I run weekly updates and system checks and Avast has twice found a virus in the last 15 months but on each occasion was able to get rid of it without problems so I certainly wouldn't be without protection of some sort!

I hope your upgrades and systems clean-ups work well for you.  Good Luck! :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 02:05:51 PM »

Bit late joining this convo - but an XP machine with only 256MB of RAM is really going to struggle.

As already mentioned by some of the others if possible go for 1GB..  the computer shop didnt say how much they were going to put in for the circa £30, but as a guide heres some prices  for compatable RAM for a HP - Compaq Pavilion a604x Desktop/PC.  Crucial are normally about one of the cheapest so a local shop may be a little bit more so if the £30 is for 1GB of ram including fitting then that seems more than a fair price to pay.

As regards to Anti-virus - some stores are licenced resellers of AVG full version, so its likely they are..  as mentioned you can also get the free version. 
I had a few probs with AVG8 myself but it was more that the free versions kept giving me false positives which annoyed me so I uninstalled. 
I'm currently running the free version of Avast without any problems.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything