Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: High Target SNR.  (Read 7456 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: High Target SNR.
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2018, 04:07:46 AM »

Take these figures...

So apparently the tab spaces do not show on some folks browsers, really sorry for the confusion. Looks like this on mine:

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2018, 03:38:42 PM »

Take these figures...

do a basic divide by 53 gives you...

ES: 80848/day
SES: 76/day

That ES rate is not that far off one per second so I think packet loss is a certainty.

I am no expert but assuming the modem is reporting the stats correctly this is not a stable line by any stretch of the imagination. 

The maximum ES/day the line may experience before DLM intervention the following day is around 2880 (1440 in some cases).  Not sure about the rules for SES but from my experience if you get several bursts in a short period of time the DLM usually intervenes immediately.

Your browser is showing the stats incorrectly.
Johnson has provided a screenshot of what he wrote, and it's what I saw.

If others browsers show it different and they want to argue over it that's up to them.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »

That’s guys,

I’ll post the graphs when I get home but I had a disconnection around 8PM yesterday. DSL stats saw a burst of 100CRC errors, whatever happened cause the line to resync (whether it was DLM or not). When I resynced, I dropped from 51Mbps sync to 39Mbps sync. SNR jumped from 3.3dB to 8.8db, and attainable dropped from ~55Mbps, to 51Mbps. I did a manual modem reboot at 1:45am to do some power work at my house (I’m on a funny schedule) and resynced at 56Mbps with 3.2dB SNR.

Whilst synced at 39Mbps I still saw errors, but a lot lower FEC count.

Since the resync the line has stayed up, but has seen CRC errors around 5-7PM above the norms for the day, but stayed in sync.

Does anyone know how long it takes plusnet/BT line profile to update? When it resynced last night the profile updated almost immediately to 36Mbps, but hasn’t updated since he manual resync around 17 hours ago. (Which makes me think it was a DLM triggered resync)

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

I also forgot to mention I spoke to plusnet and they’re talking about it being a REIN issue.

They were trying to blame something in my house switching on and off between 11PM and 1AM but given that I’ve seen other disconnections (especially last night when no one was home), I’m certain it’s not something in my house.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:22:16 PM by xreyuk »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »

. . . but given that I’ve seen other disconnections (especially last night when no one was home), I’m certain it’s something in my house.

I suspect you have missed out that important three letter word, "not".  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 07:23:52 PM »

I suspect you have missed out that important three letter word, "not".  ;)

Yes, I've now changed it!  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »

Yes, I've now changed it!  ;D

Purrfect.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »

I'm still of the opinion it is something knocking 5dB off the SNRM.
With a 3dB SNRM it knocks you offline and returns the line to 8dB.

What you could do is leave the line alone when it resyncs at 8dB SNRM with the lower speed and leave DslStats monitoring the line.
It should catch the event happening and show a 5dB drop in SNRM from 8dB to 3dB, then back up again.

Keep a note of the time(s) this happens.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »

So I’ve had 3 resyncs in the past few days, all at different times. Around 10am, 8pm and 11pm.

Each resync as actually synched at around 54Mbps but what you can see is that it’s basically massive short bursts of CRC errors causing it to drop.

It will run along for hours on end with little to no errors, and the errors that do come always come in bursts. Eventually there is a massive burst which causes the resync

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »

Have you checked if the error bursts coincide with use of the phone or the ringing for an incoming call (even if no handset is connected)?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 07:22:16 PM »

Have you checked if the error bursts coincide with use of the phone or the ringing for an incoming call (even if no handset is connected)?

They don’t, I have a phone connected all the time but never get any calls 😂

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »

Okay so I have kept monitoring this.

Basically I keep getting masses of CRC bursts which cause a disconnect, when the service reconnects, it connects about 10Mbps slower, with the attainable also 10Mbps slower, so still at a 3.3db SNR.

I will try and attach some graphs but these bursts are all at different times of day. Some around 1am ish, so around 4am ish and others anytime between 6am and midday.

I can force a resync 10 minutes later and all is fine again. I am error free before these events.

On top of this, when I am connected I seem to be suffering bufferbloat either due to congestion or packet loss, I have reduced the bufferbloat using QOS on my router but it’s still there.

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 10:41:10 PM »

Update on this. I ended up getting fed up and took the socket off the wall, tidied it up and determinated it.

So far have had 7 days uptime (the longest since about October) and better stats than I’ve ever had.

I still see a 1-4 ES a day with a few CRCs but no bursts whatsoever. The CRCs I’m seeing are maybe 1-5 at a time, where as before I was seeing 100s causing a dropout.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 11:13:58 PM »

. . . took the socket off the wall, tidied it up and determinated it.

I am not too sure exactly what you intended to state . . . possibly "reterminated it"?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the type of socket?  :-\

So far have had 7 days uptime (the longest since about October) and better stats than I’ve ever had.

I still see a 1-4 ES a day with a few CRCs but no bursts whatsoever. The CRCs I’m seeing are maybe 1-5 at a time, where as before I was seeing 100s causing a dropout.

That is a most definite improvement.

xreyuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »

I am not too sure exactly what you intended to state . . . possibly "reterminated it"?

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the type of socket?  :-\

That is a most definite improvement.

Yes I meant reterminated, silly autocorrect!

I think it’s a 5A, it fits a mk3 faceplate but has screw terminals, I believe the 5C has punchdown?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything