Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CAn anyone explain why DLM leaves me interleaved and capped with stats like this  (Read 1923 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Decided to take a more indepth look at my stats since last May when MDWS went away. My line has been capped at 60000kbps now for some years and I've been interleaved almost as long. So I decided to modify my script to produce a daily report of MTBE and MTBR status for as long as I have an archive of data.

During this time I have never been RED on MTBR with only a single retrain on any day and the last one was 02/01/2019 prior to that it was 01/12/2019 if I remember correctly both were me. I have never been RED on MTBE in the time of the archive. My MTBE has been AMBER once on 22/10/2018 and once on 21/09/2019. Apart from the amber days my MTBE has been <10 per day for both up and down for the vast majority of the time with only a very few days reaching 20.

So I am trying to understand why DLM leaves me in the state I have been running for years now.

Can anyone please explain how DLM can refuse to improve my line? TT refuse to do anything because my actual sync is well within their expected speed, which is a cop out IMHO.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

j0hn

• Kitizen

You need ridiculously low ES for DLM to remove interleaving. MTBE green isn't enough.

I had to cap my line heavily to remove interleaving.
20-25 ES a day over 2 weeks didn't cut it
8-12 ES a day for 4 days saw my line go fastpath for the 1st time in over 9 months.

Banding is just plain broken.

What's the daily ES like?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen

Apart from the amber days my MTBE has been <10 per day for both up and down for the vast majority of the time with only a very few days reaching 20.

I assume that should be ES count, not MTBE? MTBE under 10 would probably be red. Lower MTBE is worse.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Yes sorry - chemo brain at present. MBTE GREEN and ES < 10 for many days on end.

Stuart

boost

• Reg Member

What are the definitions for MTBE/R RAG statuseseses?

j0hn

• Kitizen

What are the definitions for MTBE/R RAG statuseseses?

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

Mean Time Between Errors/Resyncs

broadstairs

• Kitizen

They are the values I used in my script.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen

J0hn is correct ES/day errors have to be very low and for for often a bit more than 4 weeks if the line has "history".   When MWDS was running I did an analysis of all interleaved to fastpath transitions over a year. No one went to fast path who exceeded about 25ES/day just once over the relevant period and those with TalkTalk and other ISP's not using the faster profile needed quite a bit less than 25ES/day. 

The issue is that transitions to and from fast path differ massively in ES rate so the quoted values just don't seem to apply to going back to fastpath.  I assume this is because once interleaved the ES rate drops dramatically.   When I was with TalkTalk I always capped to get not more than 12 ES/day in order to regain fastpath.  I then used a small moderate speed cap to reliably keep fastpath.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Since the 2nd December I have only had one day with >10 ES down and all the others <= 6

Also capping is really annoying. Oh for G.INP back on ECI as I ran flawlessly at 72000 kbps.

Stuart

j0hn

• Kitizen

A week at 50Mb would see the line return to fastpath, in my experience anyway.
It could even help with the banding.

My line just couldn't hold Fastpath at all with Talktalk and the Standard profile.
I had to cap it to get Fastpath, and had to keep it capped to keep that way.

anything