Computers & Hardware > Networking

Ubiquiti USG/ER users

(1/10) > >>

michty_me:
Evening all,

I'm in the need of buying a new router.
You've maybe seen in other threads I've been looking at the Synology RT2600AC unit to handle the routing and WiFi but as chenks pointed out, They are fairly new to the market so may not be the best option.
I've looked at several Netgears, Asus, TP-Link, Linksys etc but after previous experiences with a couple of the manufacturers, I don't really feel like spending the sort of money they demand for a half hearted unit.

I've asked in quite a few places but pretty much every where suggests to get a Ubiquiti unit either the USG or Edgerouter X. Price wise, It appears you get a bigger bang for your buck compared to the big names.
It seems a little daunting to me actually as I probably wouldn't use 80% of the features and I would say possibly at the lower end of networking knowledge really, Although I'm always willing to learn.

My concern of going this route is that it may be too much for me in configuring etc but in terms of reliability, It is something I would like but simpler the better.
Is one easier to configure than the other?
I believe the ER-X uses a web interface for setting up rather than the cloud controller. I would probably prefer that.
I've noticed some saying to avoid the USG also as it it a couple years old in the hardware department and beefier hardware in the ER-X units.

Whats your thoughts on my concerns? What's your experiences with the devices?

chenks:
for a home user it's probably better to go with the ER-X, as you get a router and a 4 port switch combined
with the USB it's just a router and nothing else.

the USG is part of the Unifi product line, wheras the ER-X is part of the EdgeOS line.
the EdgeOS line has been around much longer.

the USG is the more modern appliance as part of the Unifi line. for a home user you if you compare the USG and ER-X you're not going to see a lot of difference. the EdgeOS devices are more mature, but not necessarily more reliable or beefier than the Unifi line.

i went from knowing nothing about the ER-X to having one that does my routing, firewall, VPN, VLANs, DynDNS and pretty much everything else apart from controlling the AP configuration.

the Ubiquiti forums are very good no matter which product line you go down.

michty_me:
Thanks once again checks for taking the time to explain a bit of it all to me in this thread and my previous one.

Are you using one of the unifi access points too?

I've been having a look through the demo GUI for both devices but not sure how recent these demos are. To be honest, the USG does look more glitzy in the demos but as you say, yes a switch and router combo would be ideal.

I gather you have good knowledge of networking and manage to get around the system easily enough?

Do you know of anyone that uses the ER-X and a more mainstream AP or mesh system connected to it?

chenks:
I use an ER-X and a unifi ap ac-lite.

michty_me:

--- Quote from: chenks on December 14, 2018, 08:30:00 AM ---I use an ER-X and a unifi ap ac-lite.

--- End quote ---

I know many say that if you have a USG, all the config is setup in one window.
How is it done when using the edgerouter?
Do you just use the unifi controller?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version