Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Well I never knew that!  (Read 4159 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Well I never knew that!
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »

When I thought I knew most things about using SMF forums a missed target click shows me something I didn't know.

If you have a list of pages which has been collapsed with ellipses (e.g. 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 170) clicking the ellipses expands the list (sometimes it has to be repeated to get the full list).

Perhaps if others have little tricks about using SMF they could add to this topic
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Well I never knew that!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 03:03:16 PM »

I seem to find something 'new' almost every week, but maybe that's because I'm a slow learner!

For example, I have just noticed the seasonal embellishment to the "KITZ" logo on the top left of the page. How long has that been there??

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »

kitz adds the Christmas logo every year, however, from experience last year and for anyone who can't see the Xmas logo, need to refresh your browser page, ctrl/F5, required on FF anyway.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »

I am not seeing a Christmas logo. Did a refresh, went to various pages. Am I looking in the right place?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 11:25:22 AM »

top left, in my screenshot
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »

Yes, I get no holly. Bit odd. I tried a different web browser on the same iPad and we have holly. Was using Safari to begin with. Perhaps it’s a caching thing - if the http cacheability lifetime on the images is nice and long, which it should be, then that would work.

A website I built for my wife had images’ cache lifetimes set to something like a month, so I would have had to reduce that dramatically well before I needed to make a change and then swap the image out and go back to the long lifetime again afterwards. Or more likely rename the image to xxx_v2 or whatever. But I made a point of making all the cacheability lifetimes enormous because it reduced load and traffic costs and made the site feel incredibly snappy for users on dialup.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:54:36 AM by Weaver »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »

Every browser on your iPad uses the safari engine with a skin/theme on top.

They are all essentially identical.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »

Indeed so. So it must be due to configuration differences or add-ins I think. My Safari has an ad-blocker in it too, and I’m wondering if that is having some sort of odd effect, not that that makes sense.

The different browser apps do not share common configuration settings, although they are all built on some crucial common software components. From the evidence of usage experience, they do not behave the same way and a few sites have differences in appearance or behaviour.

anything