Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone else get the seasonal speed boost?  (Read 2602 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone else get the seasonal speed boost?
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »

I've noticed when the weather becomes colder the speed that my connection resync's at increases slightly.

Does this happen to anyone else?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Anyone else get the seasonal speed boost?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:19:43 PM »

I observe an annual cyclical change in the Hlog plot for my (ADSL2, ITU-T G.992.3) circuit. The hotter the weather the poorer the plot, the colder the weather the better the plot.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:17:15 AM »

My old VDSL line was always better during the winter.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »

Yesterday I saw my router sync at below 79998 for the first time so I'm not seeing any benefit.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 06:35:16 PM »

Services delivered over metallic paths are subject to changing conditions depending on the weather.

This can be seen most easily on cable networks where receive and transmit power can change as the coax shrinks and expands due to temperature and its conductivity changes.

Lower temperature means lower attenuation which is how the LHC manages to shift over 11,000 amps through stuff the thickness of fuse wire: the wire is superconducting as it's marginally above absolute zero :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:26:04 PM »

If conditions have improved then I’d not expect the line to resync on its own so I assume you mean that if you force a reconnect, it does so at a better speed?  On that assumption a possible scenario might be as follows....

Firstly, suppose you have neighbours who are less concerned with connection speeds than we, on this forum, are.  They leave everything alone.     At this time of year, with longer hours of darkness, owing to well understood variations propagation of radio waves in darkness, their own connections may experience higher error rates.  If these error rates are bad enough, your neighbours’ connections may drop and reconnect in middle of the night.    That will happen, by definition, during hours of darkness so by competing with the interference, they will reconnect at a poorer speed.

Subsequently, if you then force a reconnect in daylight hours, you will negotiate a speed that is not impacted by the interference that goes with darkness.   But better still, because your neighbours’ speeds have dropped there will be less cross talk, so your speed will be even higher than its usual ‘daylight’ value.

Unfortunately you can’t beat natural phenomena so if above is the explanation I’d expect the faster connection to be all the more fragile in hours of darkness and itself perhaps, to reconnect in middle of the night.  If that happens regularly, DLM may start to intervene and then, your speed might be worse than ever.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »

Nooo.   

Although my SNRM is rock steady my sync speeds continue to decline  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 02:07:23 PM »

I think speeds are always better in the winter. And very bad weather seems to help a little, v  heavy rain. Lying snow seems very beneficial.

However the power cut boosted d/s one sync rate to the highest speed ever seen in all of history, 3.2Mbps. This must have been due to the unusually low noise level at the time as other disturbers were still offline, that is the only explanation I can think of and it doesn’t entirely make sense to me. Why would my kit come back up sooner than other people’s? I don’t see why my modems would boot fast than other people’s, the opposite in fact. Perhaps it is nothing to do with modems and was about a wide range of electrical equipment still being off and not restarting without intervention ? Don’t really understand.

Anyway, that is still giving a false boost to performance figures.

The weather is really wild here today. Has been quite wet.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 07:23:27 AM »

Slightly!

My d/s attenuation swings between 21.5 in summer and 19.5 in winter.

The ground’s not quite cooled enough yet - still at 20.7, but we’ve still got winter-proper to come.

I go as low as 54Mbit attainable in summer to 59 in winter. Plus, my HG612 usually syncs a megabit or two above the attainable rate - so by January I’m often in the 60Mbit club, which isn’t too shabby for a ~600m line!
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »

60Mbit on a 600m line? You must be connected to an ECI cabinet - I'm just about 70Mb each on two lines at 600m here. (69950 and 67572)
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 03:11:33 AM »

All of my lines are now running at crazy high downstream speeds, with no tweaking. 3.19, 3.02, 3.12, 3.11 Mbps downstream sync rates. Never seen anything quite like these. Line 2, the sluggardly relatively, is the new one.

Upstream sync rates are not unusual: 528, 496, 358, 499 kbps - don’t know why line 3 is so rubbish upstream, went through a period of being ok, over 100k better.

Assuming the cold weather theory is not bogus, does anyone have any ideas as to why such a thing might be the case?

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 01:05:58 PM »

60Mbit on a 600m line? You must be connected to an ECI cabinet - I'm just about 70Mb each on two lines at 600m here. (69950 and 67572)

Nah, Huawei.  May well actually be closer to 700m.
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

anything