Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach GEA contracts modem conformance testing changes  (Read 1684 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Openreach GEA contracts modem conformance testing changes
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/contracts/sffacontracts.do

There are some changes regarding FTTC modem conformance testing visible in the Openreach GEA contracts - effective from 5 January 2019.

They've removed the clause about third party testing.

They've also significantly changed this part, which becomes:

4.1 (c) The Communications Provider shall:

(i) ensure that all CP Devices that it provides to its End Customers for use on the BT
Network; and

(ii) use all commercially reasonable endeavours (by way of, without limitation, including a
term in its End Customer contracts restricting modems that End Customers can connect
to the BT Network) to ensure that any third-party modems the Communications
Provider’s End Customers choose to connect to the BT Network,

conform to BT SIN498

So it's no longer only about the CP supplied devices conforming, it now also makes ISPs add clauses to their contracts with end users. Perhaps they are trying to become stricter about enforcing only using devices that have passed MCT.

They have also added:

4.9 (d) If, having followed the procedure set out in paragraphs 4.9(a) to 4.9(c) above, BT determines
that a device (whether a CP Device or any other device) is continuing to cause harm to the BT
Network or to other End Customers’ experience of the BT Network, BT may (if reasonably
deemed necessary by BT) disconnect such device from the BT Network to protect its integrity.

Which somehow wasn't there before, although I thought they've been similar claims that BT could do that already.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach GEA contracts modem conformance testing changes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »

I recall reading such clauses already, pasted in full on these forums.

Will search later but I'd be flabbergasted if OpenReach didn't already have a clause that they could disconnect a line for non conforming CPE.

Reading that back, this is OpenReach...
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »

Wo

Don’t really know where to begin.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 05:48:21 PM »

Does that mean that OpenReach will be making the list of MCT Approved devices publicly available?  :fingers:

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 06:11:07 PM »

There is some new text in the contract document about BT doing exactly that, but it's something that they "may" do and "with agreement from the Communications Provider".

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »

Doesnt mean anything if they not going to enforce it, lets wait and see.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »

So it's no longer only about the CP supplied devices conforming, it now also makes ISPs add clauses to their contracts with end users. Perhaps they are trying to become stricter about enforcing only using devices that have passed MCT.

They have also added:

>>  BT determines that a device (whether a CP Device or any other device) is continuing to cause harm to the BT
>>  Network or to other End Customers’ experience of the BT Network, BT may (if reasonably
>>  deemed necessary by BT) disconnect such device from the BT Network to protect its integrity.

Which somehow wasn't there before, although I thought they've been similar claims that BT could do that already.

Thanks ejs.

Good!  Openreach need to get on and deal with it.

It's now well over 3yrs (nrly 4) since the initial roll out of g.INP.   It's damn annoying that a large portion of  EU's still do not have access to g.inp & 'x'dB because a 'few' modems are incompatible.

Not only that..  we are well aware of the impact certain ASUS modems (should the EU configure it in a certain way) could negatively impact all other neighbouring lines/those on the same line card.

I really don't want Openreach to dictate which modems EU's should use, but this step may encourage all router manufacturers to apply for MCT so that the customer knows that the router they buy at PCWorld or Amazon is certified with Openreach.  Thinking about it, it may actually encourage manufacturers to produce decent f/w...  because surely they don't wouldn't want it to get out that their modems don't work with 'BT'.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »

I really would like to see Openreach getting organised and growing some teeth so that the duff kit out there is just gone. It would be very good for consumers to be protected. They could be conned by crappy kit and I suppose there could be a small chance, in theory at any rate, that users might become caught up in a race to the bottom with ISPs penny-pinching on the cost of CPE.

anything