Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wanting a New Router (advice please)  (Read 8383 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Wanting a New Router (advice please)
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »

Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I was last on here, I'm now working at Sky in the Broadband Tech Team :)

I am after a new router for my 40/10 Plusnet connection and after advice,

I don't know which chipset is in my Cabinet's Dslam (I've forgot how to check), I am after (preferably) a tweakable Broadcom chipset in a router that sports AC (Wi-Fi 5), Gigabit LAN and has External Antennas (Ext. Atn. not a requirement, I will consider routers with internal), I would also like to be able to run Router Monitoring Software such as DSLstats etc..

My connection is 40/10 (82/22 Max Data Rate) on Plusnet and I currently run a BT Home Hub 5B (Broadcom), I have my PC hard-wired into the router via LAN and my Mobile uses 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz on Wi-Fi 4 (Wireless-N).

if anyone could throw some suggestions my way I would really appreciate it,

EDIT: I also use PIA VPN and would like to have it setup on a router

thanks

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:34:36 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Wanting a New Router (advice please)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »

Is there something specific that the HH 5B doesnt do that you are looking for? It ticks all your boxes and as you are capped at less than half of attainable in both directions there is nothing to be gained from a different modem.

Maybe some issue with wifi performance as you mention external antennas? If so something like a ubiquiti* WAP?

Stats monitoring isnt something people would usually bother with when they are self limiting with package choice, unless you are having issues?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 04:53:23 PM by johnson »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »

Is there something specific that the HH 5B doesnt do that you are looking for? It ticks all your boxes and as you are capped at less than half of attainable in both directions there is nothing to be gained from a different modem.

Maybe some issue with wifi performance as you mention external antennas? If so something like a ubiquii WAP?

Stats monitoring isnt something people would usually bother with when they are self limiting with package choice, unless you are having issues?

thanks for the quick reply,

I may be going onto 80Mb at some point, I dont have any issues, I just like to be able to get access to all my bit-loading, QLN, SNR stats etc, the current router is ancient and i would like something new at the helm

j0hn

• Kitizen
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »

I may be going onto 80Mb at some point, I dont have any issues, I just like to be able to get access to all my bit-loading, QLN, SNR stats etc, the current router is ancient and i would like something new at the helm

Well now we are talking, at less than half of attainable you would have vanishingly low error rates, but attainable figures are not always that precise so on an 80mb package full stats will probably be useful.

Are 2 boxes something you would consider, or do they feel too much of a waste of space/power to you?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »

@ j0hn - thanks for the link.

@ Johnson - I wouldn't consider two boxes no... all in one only, I used to have an HG612 and Router but it is not something I would like to do now, I like being able to record all my stats etc, I used to use scripts to capture my data by the hour and save them as graphs, comes in handy when yer broadband goes down as evidence - this happened 6 years ago with Sky , 3 months, 20+ calls and 7 engineer visits to get my 18Mb connection back up from 9Mb ...turned out the problem was a split pair done by the first engineer, had I not had the stats as proof of my connection before I doubt I would have got it repaired, it was the evidence AND me never giving up that got it repaired.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »

I have used a number of ZyXEL's and right now use a Netgear D6220. All worked or work well with full stats, however with our house WiFi is problematic. Now I use a 3 disc set of BT Whole Home WiFi mesh set up which solves both 2g and 5g issues I had, and have turned off WiFi on the Netgear.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »

@ Johnson - I wouldn't consider two boxes no... all in one only, I used to have an HG612 and Router but it is not something I would like to do now, I like being able to record all my stats etc, I used to use scripts to capture my data by the hour and save them as graphs, comes in handy when yer broadband goes down as evidence - this happened 6 years ago with Sky , 3 months, 20+ calls and 7 engineer visits to get my 18Mb connection back up from 9Mb ...turned out the problem was a split pair done by the first engineer, had I not had the stats as proof of my connection before I doubt I would have got it repaired, it was the evidence AND me never giving up that got it repaired.

I understand many people have no love for 2 box solutions, but, forgive me if I have misunderstood, are you suggesting you need a single box solution for the ease of gathering stats? Because that is not the case. I must have that wrong.

Does the HH 5B not allow stats gathering? I have no experience with it, but usually if broadcom based its possible to get stats out.

In terms of reasons for a new modem/router (other than "this ones old") the only advantages a newer device could offer you are more CPU power to run things like VPN directly on the router or more intelligent and robust QoS. With a (future) 80mb connection a decent amount of grunt would be required to run a VPN at full speed or shape the traffic with an advanced method such as SQM (smart queue management), is this something you are interested in?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »

I understand many people have no love for 2 box solutions, but, forgive me if I have misunderstood, are you suggesting you need a single box solution for the ease of gathering stats? Because that is not the case. I must have that wrong.

Does the HH 5B not allow stats gathering? I have no experience with it, but usually if broadcom based its possible to get stats out.

In terms of reasons for a new modem/router (other than "this ones old") the only advantages a newer device could offer you are more CPU power to run things like VPN directly on the router or more intelligent and robust QoS. With a (future) 80mb connection a decent amount of grunt would be required to run a VPN at full speed or shape the traffic with an advanced method such as SQM (smart queue management), is this something you are interested in?

oh i forgot about that lol... i DO use a VPN through my devices and would like to get it set up on a router if I could.  As far as I can remember not all broadcom chipsets can be accessed (most can) and the HH5 is one of those you cant access, been a long time since Ive done stuff like that so my memory isnt great atm,

I use PIA VPN at the moment, but im jumping between VPNs every month until i find the one best suited.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »

Apologies for confusing the topic by bringing up router based VPN gateways!  ;D

I have toyed with running one, but its kind of nice to have per device control over whether the traffic goes out on the VPN or normal connection. I would hope systems at a workplace would raise at least some eyebrows and hopefully red flags if an employee checked their email or VPNed in from a work laptop from an IP in Panama...  ;)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 05:49:35 PM »

Apologies for confusing the topic by bringing up router based VPN gateways!  ;D

I have toyed with running one, but its kind of nice to have per device control over whether the traffic goes out on the VPN or normal connection. I would hope systems at a workplace would raise at least some eyebrows and hopefully red flags if an employee checked their email or VPNed in from a work laptop from an IP in Panama...  ;)

which VPN service do you use>?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 06:06:49 PM »

None currently, I tried nordvpn a while ago but let it expire as I didnt end up using it as much as I thought I would. Still itches at my brain though.

Which ones have you used, do you get near the full 40mb of your downstream?

In terms of a router that could do the full 80mb with Openvpn you would need one of the fatter ones, I am biased towards OpenWRT (current router is an x86 thin client with a dual core 1.8ghz amd cpu), so I would suggest the newer linksys WRT range the 1900ACS or 3200ACM... but this would need a separate modem.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 06:38:53 PM »

Hi snadge <waves paw>.  :)

Have you looked here to see what other members might have available?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »

I have upgraded to 80Mb getting a 73MB sync (should be getting 79.9MB sync as my MDR is 87MB)

@ KITZ burakkucat - Hi :), I will take a look thanKS

@ johnson - I am using monthly on various VPNs to see which is best, currently iam using PIA and its been excellent, I get full whack on it and its been extremely reliable, I don't want to use 2 bits of hardware if i can avoid it
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:01:41 PM by snadge »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »

Hi all

I'm on an ECI cabinet and had my Plusnet upgraded to 80Mbps (getting a 73MB sync ((67Mbps throughput)) from an 87MB max data rate)

I have the Netgear D7000 in my sights but I'm looking to see what other options I have

As I say this is what I would like the DSL router to have the following:

1. Beamforming
2. Access to SNR/QLN/Bit-Loading stats
3. Broadcom chipset (preferred)
4. 800Mhz+ CPU  & 128MB+ RAM
5. Gbit LAN
6. G.INP (I know my cab doesn't support it)
7. Be wall mountable (preferred)
8. Dual/Tri Band WiFi
9. USB port (preferred but not essential)

dunno if I've missed anything out lol, Vectoring but I've been told that wont be any good
Pages: [1] 2 3