Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Upgrade: Router Synced but no PPP  (Read 1315 times)

follydude

FTTC Upgrade: Router Synced but no PPP
« on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:17 AM »

Hi All,

I have a neighbour that has recently upgraded to Infinity (VDSL), but is having issues. The router is syncing, but is showing PPP timeout errors and subsequently is not getting an IP address. We have tried 3 routers (2 x BT HomeHub, and 1 Draytek), and they all show the same issue.

The ISP (BT) have visited 3 times, and the tech has verified this. So far they have done a "lift and shift" with no change. Their next plan of action is to replace the line card in the DSLAM. I am not sure that this will make any difference as there are other lines on this card. To my limited knowledge on this subject, this sounds like a configuration error.

I would appreciate any input or advice on this.

Cheers

FollyDude

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: FTTC Upgrade: Router Synced but no PPP
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »

I agree it does sound like a config error, but not at your neighbour's end as the Homehubs should just work out of the box.
It could possibly be the linecard as they usually have a number of ports and perhaps one has gone faulty.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

follydude

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »

I agree it does sound like a config error, but not at your neighbour's end as the Homehubs should just work out of the box.
It could possibly be the linecard as they usually have a number of ports and perhaps one has gone faulty.
 :)

Thanks. Yes, I am sure the problem is not at the customer end. I am not sure of the technical details of "lift and shift', but I thought that process involved moving ports on the line card.

Cheer

F
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:14:01 AM by follydude »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »

I can't see how a line card change will help with PPP not authenticating.
Especially as the line is confirmed as syncing.
The only thing the line card/DSLAM does is the sync.

I'm sure someone picked that up wrong actually.
The port being used on the line card can easily be changed, a 5 minute phone call and a change of wires.

Physically changing the line card on the DSLAM is actually quite a big job. That will never, ever, be done by an engineer who visits your premises.
Only people with the right training are even allowed to open the DSLAM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM