Broadband Related > Known Network Issues + MSO's

Software Issue Triggers Major O2 UK Mobile Data Outage

(1/3) > >>

Bowdon:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/12/software-issue-triggers-major-o2-uk-mobile-data-outage.html

--- Quote ---Mobile operator O2 (Telefonica) confirms that an unspecified “global software issue” has been identified as the cause of a major mobile data (mobile broadband) connectivity outage on their national UK 3G and 4G network this morning. Mobile providers in other countries are also believed to be affected.

The problems appear to have started just before 6am this morning, although contrary to O2’s statement we’ve noted that a sizeable number of their customers are also reporting difficulties with making calls and or sending text messages. In response the operator appears to be encouraging their customers to use WiFi “wherever they can” instead.

Unfortunately the outage also appears to be affecting customers of O2 based MVNO brands (e.g. Sky Mobile, Tesco Mobile, giffgaff and Lycamobile etc.) and any external services that rely on the operator’s data network (e.g. Transport for London’s bus timetable displays).
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---    O2 Service Status Update

We’re aware that our customers are unable to use data this morning. One of our third party suppliers has identified a global software issue in their system which has impacted us. We believe other mobile operators around the world are also affected.

Our technical teams are working with their teams to ensure this is fixed as quickly as possible. We’d encourage our customers to use Wifi wherever they can and we apologise for the inconvenience caused.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---    O2 Status Update - 11:46am

The network issue we are currently experiencing remains a top priority for us and we are working as quickly as possible to fix the issues.

All O2 technical teams are working closely with one of our third party suppliers who has identified a global software issue in their system which has impacted data services.

We believe other mobile operators around the world are also affected.

We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience.
--- End quote ---

roseway:
I'm with O2, and my data doesn't seem to be affected. I've got WiFi turned off on my phone, and I can still use the internet normally.

Bowdon:

--- Quote ---O2 Status Update - 12:51pm

The fault appears to stem from one of Ericsson’s software systems.
--- End quote ---

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: roseway on December 06, 2018, 12:40:05 PM ---I'm with O2, and my data doesn't seem to be affected. I've got WiFi turned off on my phone, and I can still use the internet normally.

--- End quote ---

If you don’t mind losing that priveledged access, it might be interesting to see whether it can still re-register, after enabling airplane mode for a few seconds.   I’m not sure what that would prove, but it might disprove that you are completely unaffected?

Ronski:
Our vehicle tracking system hasn't been very reliable today, had various messages saying they're having issues with o2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version