Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New ISP for second line  (Read 4079 times)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
New ISP for second line
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »

I have 2 ADSL lines at my house, currently one on Zen and one on Plusnet.

I got a good 18 months deal from Plusnet when I signed up but this has now expired so I am paying £35/month :silly: for ADSL2 and line rental - time to look around. My starting point is to try Zen and PlusNet as they have both been decent but as I am no longer a new customer I suspect I won't get a great deal from either.  I also need a fixed IP on the line and not all ISP's will offer that.

Anyone have any good recent experiences with getting 18 month deals on broadband and line rental?

I notice Sky are offering good deals on comparison websites - do they offer fixed IP and are they still forcing people to use their modems / routers?

:cool: :fingers:

Chunks

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
Re: New ISP for second line
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:40:23 AM »

You could only get a static IP with Sky, at least with FTTC, if you had the Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro package. I do not believe you can order it anymore.

I have a single static IP with them through having that package, had it 6.5 years now!

Your other option is a "prosumer" ISP like AAISP, but they'll blow your budget. I don't know what cheap ISP's offer static IP's, I'm afraid.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »

well Origin did offer static IP when i asked them at the time (that was a couple of years ago).
no idea if they still offer that, but Origin look like they are on a very shoogly peg so best to avoid them anyway.

looking at your use case you really aren't the classic "home user", so it's unlikely you're going to get what you want from those suppliers/packages.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »

You could only get a static IP with Sky, at least with FTTC, if you had the Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro package. I do not believe you can order it anymore.

I have a single static IP with them through having that package, had it 6.5 years now!

Your other option is a "prosumer" ISP like AAISP, but they'll blow your budget. I don't know what cheap ISP's offer static IP's, I'm afraid.

No worries, thanks for the reply, I think I'll avoid Sky.  I know you can get fixed IP from BT, Zen and PlusNet so I'll start there

C

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:05:03 AM »

are the two lines for redundancy?
if yes then surely you wouldn't want both to be on the same ISP?

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »

are the two lines for redundancy?
Not really, I live in a place where the connection speeds are on the low side so I have 2 lines and load balance between them to give better speed.  2 ISP's does have its benefits but not really essential.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »

While you are looking around you should consider putting the line rental with someone like Pulse8 (https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-rental - £14.40 per month for a BT line).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »

Not really, I live in a place where the connection speeds are on the low side so I have 2 lines and load balance between them to give better speed.  2 ISP's does have its benefits but not really essential.

if you're bonding the two lines together then both being on the same ISP would be more advantageous IMO.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »

He said load balancing not bonding!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »

bond them then  ;D

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »

John lewis (Plusnet!) will also give you a fixed IP............... but only 12 month contract
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:32:54 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »

No worries, thanks for the reply, I think I'll avoid Sky. I know you can get fixed IP from BT, Zen and PlusNet so I'll start there

C

News to me.
I'd advise skipping BT if you need a static IP as you may be disappointed.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 06:33:45 PM »

News to me.
I'd advise skipping BT if you need a static IP as you may be disappointed.

Yep, no static IP on residential products. I believe they are available on Business contracts; not sure if you have to pay extra.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 05:45:40 PM »

try Zen and PlusNet as they have both been decent but as I am no longer a new customer

Although Zen usually don't... Plusnet will give you a cheaper price if you haggle.   Helps if you can quote what other ISPs are charging. 
They may not exactly price match but you could end up with a price that is worthwhile phoning up for to say "I'm thinking of migrating to xISP can you do anything to match their price?"

For example they may not match Vodafone's offer for existing users, but you may get a decent compromise plus keep your static IP.   
Max seems to have a real knack for doing this and getting some fab deals with them. ;) 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 01:19:50 AM »

AA always gives you one static IPv4 for free but if you ask nicely they will give you rather more for free, even nowadays.
Pages: [1] 2

anything