Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can you estimate Gfast speed from FTTC speed? Have you upgraded from FTTC to Gfast?  (Read 7023 times)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member

60 properties on a single DP is NOT the norm.

I'm on a brand new build and every DP has 10-12 properties.
Looking over my back fence at the existing telegraph poles there's 10-15 per DP.

edit to add again: 4 million DP's on the OpenReach network, divided by homes. The average is considerably smaller than 60.

I didn't even know there were DP's with 60 properties, unless it's a huge block of flats/apartments.

OK fair enough, there are many DP's in my street.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

adslmax

• Kitizen

I agree with kitz, vectored 35b rollout would have been better, sadly tho I think openreach chose g.fast because the max possible speeds are higher, and they went with what has the best impact on marketing.

But vectored 35b to all would have helped many more lines.

Surely, I cannot understand of why isn't Openreach trial G.Fast / VDSL2 Profile 35b with vectored at the same time to see who would benefits better in market sales.

tiffy

• Kitizen

Surely, I cannot understand of why isn't Openreach trial G.Fast / VDSL2 Profile 35b with vectored at the same time to see who would benefits better in market sales.

Quote from Reply 11 this thread:
I can fully appreciate that vectoring is not perceived to be a very good business prospect to BT, considerable financial investment in hardware and man power, FTTC cabinet compatability issues etc. with no quick way to recoup some of the outlay with increased tariff as per G.Fast, realistically, never likely to happen now.

BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

It's not quite so simple Max. 
35b increases speeds by opening up more bandwidth at higher frequencies, but it also relies heavily on vectoring.

It also works best on newly constructed sites ie those without any other DSL services.   To quote Huawei

In a reconstructed site, the original services and users interfere with new SuperVector services and users and the interference cannot be eliminated.

Ideally all the users and services should be brand new.  Although it is possible to reconstruct a site for 35b all users lines must use SuperVectoring.  What are you going to do with the LLU adsl2+ lines.   The likes of Sky & TT would have a hissy fit and OFCOM would likely pander to them.

You are also forgetting that whilst the Huawei MA5616 are classed as being upgradable for [normal] vectoring, you practically have to rebuild the DSLAM with new & replacements parts.   As I've previously said in another thread, it would be easier (& cheaper) to upgrade the ECI M41s to V41s than it is to rebuild a Huawei MA5616 in the field.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

IMHO a large part of the reason the existing g.fast isn't working out as well as it could do is due to restrictions from legacy DSL systems. 
When you have various technologies working along side each other, using the same lower frequencies, it becomes inevitable that the older technologies gets priority on the lower tones...  which are the ones where most of the bitload is usually available.   PCB and PSD masks are needed to ensure that g.fast and vdsl doesn't drown out legacy dsl..  which in turn means that they don't get full benefit of the lines full capability.   

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen

Think in the case of G.fast it's not power masking that's the problem, more that it can only use 20-106 MHz with the current set up. Spot on that this is for compatibility with legacy services though.

ADSL does need to DIAF where hybrid services are available for sure.
Pages: 1 2 [3]