Computer Software > Windows 10

Windows 10 - Remove Default Applications

(1/4) > >>

aesmith:
Hi,
I wondered if anyone has had any luck uninstalling the default junk that Microsoft loads up Windows 10 with?  I'm trying to set up a standard build for work laptops, these will be work PCs so definitely don't need all the toys.  Will have our standard version of Office, so I want rid of the "Get Office" application, and we'll be using Outlook for email so don't want another email application lying around wanting to be the default.

I've had mixed results, some applications have gone but others simply don't delete.  For example there's something called "3D Builder.  This can be uninstalled from the control panel, which then removes it from the control panel.  However it's still there in the start menu and if you run it, the program reappears in control panel. 

I've seen recommendations to use Powershell commands similar to  Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name *Office.Sway* | Remove-AppxPackage as recommended in various articles and blogs.  They seem to do nothing, although there's no error the applications are not removed.

Any ideas (other then my strong impulse which is to go back to Windows 7)

Thanks, Tony S

chenks:
i assume you're using the appropriate system deployment tools to build a "standard image"?
or are you just doing this manually and then going to clone your build on to every device?

aesmith:
They're identical models so can just be cloned.   At least that's what we used to do with Windows 7, only needing to use any of the sysprep stuff to deploy to dissimilar hardware.  So I haven't looked at the deployment tools.  Is there a way do to the initial install missing off this stuff?  I've starting from bog standard Enterprise ISO with Enterprise licence key, then there are a couple of device drivers needed from HP for stuff that Windows doesn't automatically detect.

Since my last post I just tried reboot immediately after attempted removal, I note that Calendar, Camera, Mail, Onenote are all back on the start menu flagged "New", but Get Office, Sway and Xbox have all disappeared this time.

Weaver:
It’s pretty easy to remove links so users don’t see the apps. Just delete the .lnk files in a script. You might want to do it properly tho and prevent the users from having any cunning way to run certain things. So you could just delete the .exe’s in question, or whatever they are. That will of course leave some junk lying round, maybe other files and stuff in the registry. You may or may not care about that minor remaining pollution.

I’m assuming that the .exes will not get auto-restored by magic? If they do, which I would be surprised at, then we would need to go to my Plan B.

parkdale:
Have you tried this?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/windows-autopilot

Robin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version