Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Has anyone bought from Vargtech/Onbuy before?  (Read 23149 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Has anyone bought from Vargtech/Onbuy before?
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »

I've been keeping an eye on prices for the Synology RT2600AC and I've noticed Onbuy (seller is actually Vargtech through Onbuy) but I've not heard of either.
I'm unsure if the units would be imported and require an adapter or such.
I believe Vargtech are in Leeds according to their website but oddly can't find that router on their website.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Has anyone bought from Vargtech/Onbuy before?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 11:37:09 PM »

I see that the device is available via Amazon for £235.43 with free delivery.

Ouch.  :ouch:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:48:32 PM »

I see that the device is available via Amazon for £235.43 with free delivery.

Ouch.  :ouch:

Yup, it isn't a cheap device. I've said to myself I would probably go for it if it hit the £180 area but it seems to be going up in price!!

Edit to add:
I found a contact link to Vargtech so asked a few questions.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »

I have ordered my sister's xmas present from onbuy only 2 days ago, as thats what she requested, so I got no feedback yet as nothing has arrived yet.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 04:42:03 PM »

there are far better routers out there for a similar or cheaper price than the synology.
i looked at one previously and the reviews were varied at best.
it's got a lot of nice bells and whistles, but for its primary task it is outperformed by other devices.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »

there are far better routers out there for a similar or cheaper price than the synology.
i looked at one previously and the reviews were varied at best.
it's got a lot of nice bells and whistles, but for its primary task it is outperformed by other devices.

I know the reviews for the RT1900AC were very mixed but the reviews for the RT2600AC seemed very promising. It seems to be pipped against the faster wireless items from Netgear, Asus etc in newer reviews which are faster devices from the get go.

I just thought it might be worth a punt as Asus still can't sort out their issues that were ongoing from when I had that Ac68U.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »

the main problem i saw with it was that it was trying to be a jack of all trades device, but not excelling in any of them.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »

the main problem i saw with it was that it was trying to be a jack of all trades device, but not excelling in any of them.

I see, I know they have been working on improving the firmware and listen to feedback from customers which I like.
Are there any you would recommend other than the Synology that I could consider?

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »

it depends what you are trying to achieve.
there's a lot to be said for splitting out your boxes to ones that do a single job very well, rather than 1 box that does many not quite as well.

i'm on cable and utilise a 3 box system - 1 modem, 1 router/switch, 1 wifi ap.
the modem i have no choice over, but the router does just that (and does it very well), and 1 the wifi ap does just wifi (and also does that very well).
it means that if i ever want to upgrade the wifi (for whatever reason) then i'm just replacing that, and not having to replace the router and everything else at the same time.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »

it depends what you are trying to achieve.
there's a lot to be said for splitting out your boxes to ones that do a single job very well, rather than 1 box that does many not quite as well.

i'm on cable and utilise a 3 box system - 1 modem, 1 router/switch, 1 wifi ap.
the modem i have no choice over, but the router does just that (and does it very well), and 1 the wifi ap does just wifi (and also does that very well).
it means that if i ever want to upgrade the wifi (for whatever reason) then i'm just replacing that, and not having to replace the router and everything else at the same time.

Ideally I'm wanting something reliable and will be pretty solid with good wifi, something with a fairly easy GUI would be ideal and have plenty features for future use.
People have tried to talk me into going the ubiquiti route but absolutely no need for it.
I'm in the process of networking my house to a switch under the stairs to various rooms so wanted a good solid unit to deal with everything.
I'm running a separate zyxel modem as I moved away from a one box solution due to lock ups on my D7000. It now only does the routing and WiFi but still locks up, hence wanting a new device.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »

well i actually use ubiquiti.
for the price of that synology you could have got separate ubiquiti kit which would far out perform it.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

well i actually use ubiquiti.
for the price of that synology you could have got separate ubiquiti kit which would far out perform it.

From what I've been reading else where, people are saying the newer firmwares are quite buggy and basically customers are beta testers for the new equipment.
I priced up everything I would want from ubiquiti and it was going to come in at about £350-£400.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 06:30:25 PM »

can't say i've noticed any bugs on my kit, but it might be specific to certain devices.
however new firmwares aren't forced pushed on to devices, the user has full control as to when (or if) anything gets installed. their forums publish lots of what about gets changed in each release.

what did you price up out of interest? considering you've already got a modem i'm not sure what you'd need that would end up at £400. maybe you over specced. also, remember that you don't need everything to be ubiquiti. you could get an edgeouter to be your router (very low priced, but powerful, and gives you 4 ports for a switch), add a bigger switch and an AP.

as i said though, it depends on your specific site requirements, how many switch ports you'd need, how many APs needed to cover the whole site. whether you want/need PoE, etc etc

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »

its been shipped

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »

can't say i've noticed any bugs on my kit, but it might be specific to certain devices.
however new firmwares aren't forced pushed on to devices, the user has full control as to when (or if) anything gets installed. their forums publish lots of what about gets changed in each release.

what did you price up out of interest? considering you've already got a modem i'm not sure what you'd need that would end up at £400. maybe you over specced. also, remember that you don't need everything to be ubiquiti. you could get an edgeouter to be your router (very low priced, but powerful, and gives you 4 ports for a switch), add a bigger switch and an AP.

as i said though, it depends on your specific site requirements, how many switch ports you'd need, how many APs needed to cover the whole site. whether you want/need PoE, etc etc

I'll have a look for what I was planning to get and report back.
In the end, I felt it was total overkill for what I would be using it for.
Taking edgerouter/ubiquiti or microtik out of the equation, what would you recommend?

@chrysalis, that's good to know. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything