Computers & Hardware > Hardware - Deals & Bargains

Has anyone bought from Vargtech/Onbuy before?

<< < (2/7) > >>

michty_me:

--- Quote from: chenks on December 02, 2018, 04:42:03 PM ---there are far better routers out there for a similar or cheaper price than the synology.
i looked at one previously and the reviews were varied at best.
it's got a lot of nice bells and whistles, but for its primary task it is outperformed by other devices.

--- End quote ---

I know the reviews for the RT1900AC were very mixed but the reviews for the RT2600AC seemed very promising. It seems to be pipped against the faster wireless items from Netgear, Asus etc in newer reviews which are faster devices from the get go.

I just thought it might be worth a punt as Asus still can't sort out their issues that were ongoing from when I had that Ac68U.

chenks:
the main problem i saw with it was that it was trying to be a jack of all trades device, but not excelling in any of them.

michty_me:

--- Quote from: chenks on December 02, 2018, 05:20:15 PM ---the main problem i saw with it was that it was trying to be a jack of all trades device, but not excelling in any of them.

--- End quote ---

I see, I know they have been working on improving the firmware and listen to feedback from customers which I like.
Are there any you would recommend other than the Synology that I could consider?

chenks:
it depends what you are trying to achieve.
there's a lot to be said for splitting out your boxes to ones that do a single job very well, rather than 1 box that does many not quite as well.

i'm on cable and utilise a 3 box system - 1 modem, 1 router/switch, 1 wifi ap.
the modem i have no choice over, but the router does just that (and does it very well), and 1 the wifi ap does just wifi (and also does that very well).
it means that if i ever want to upgrade the wifi (for whatever reason) then i'm just replacing that, and not having to replace the router and everything else at the same time.

michty_me:

--- Quote from: chenks on December 02, 2018, 05:42:38 PM ---it depends what you are trying to achieve.
there's a lot to be said for splitting out your boxes to ones that do a single job very well, rather than 1 box that does many not quite as well.

i'm on cable and utilise a 3 box system - 1 modem, 1 router/switch, 1 wifi ap.
the modem i have no choice over, but the router does just that (and does it very well), and 1 the wifi ap does just wifi (and also does that very well).
it means that if i ever want to upgrade the wifi (for whatever reason) then i'm just replacing that, and not having to replace the router and everything else at the same time.

--- End quote ---

Ideally I'm wanting something reliable and will be pretty solid with good wifi, something with a fairly easy GUI would be ideal and have plenty features for future use.
People have tried to talk me into going the ubiquiti route but absolutely no need for it.
I'm in the process of networking my house to a switch under the stairs to various rooms so wanted a good solid unit to deal with everything.
I'm running a separate zyxel modem as I moved away from a one box solution due to lock ups on my D7000. It now only does the routing and WiFi but still locks up, hence wanting a new device.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version