Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Soon To Own VMG1312-B10A  (Read 9784 times)

nfxcr3w

Re: Soon To Own VMG1312-B10A
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »

A long and happy married life together.

:lol: Does it take some time to settle Weaver the vmg1312?
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

nfxcr3w

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2018, 08:56:00 PM »

Not sure what I'm doing wrong guys but if I paste my iP in to the Web browser it loads up my routers page  :-\ please help had to remove it from the network cause it's a security risk.

edit* I think it's only doing it on my network cause when I paste my public ip on my 4G it doesn't show my routers page just blank. Hope it's secure 🤔
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:42:18 PM by nfxcr3w »
BT FTTC @3db 80/20 Zyxel VMG1312-B10A bridged + 1508 MTU + OpenWrt 19.07.2 Huawei Cab

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »

Here are links to two utilities that will allow you to check the security --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

nfxcr3w

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »

Here are links to two utilities that will allow you to check the security --

This is the results thanks again Burakkucat :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2018, 11:46:07 PM »

That shows the response of your router (not the VMG1312-B10A) to the various probes. Having looked back to one of your earlier posts, I see you are using a Netduma R1 router . . . something unknown, to me.

I would have expected the status to be "Filtered", rather than "Closed", for all of those ports.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

nfxcr3w

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2018, 11:53:23 PM »

That shows the response of your router (not the VMG1312-B10A) to the various probes. Having looked back to one of your earlier posts, I see you are using a Netduma R1 router . . . something unknown, to me.

I would have expected the status to be "Filtered", rather than "Closed", for all of those ports.

Well when i downgrade the firmware i do get stealthed ports is that better? instead of closed?

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 12:03:10 AM »

Stealthed ports don't acknowledge probes at all, whereas closed ports virtually say "I'm here but not talking to you". Which would you think is 'better'?

nfxcr3w

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2018, 12:06:18 AM »

Stealthed ports don't acknowledge probes at all, whereas closed ports virtually say "I'm here but not talking to you". Which would you think is 'better'?

Stealthed sounds better sorry im new to all this cause when i put my public ip address in to the web browser address it comes up with my secondary router page even with stealthed ports didn't do that with the HG612 so im a bit puzzled on why it's doing that and its in bridge mode.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:11:22 AM by nfxcr3w »

nfxcr3w

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2018, 01:50:48 AM »

Right i sorted it changed to the Netgear XR500 and here are the results finally fixed phew now i can get some sleep sorry for the headaches guys technology and me don't mix  :lol:

nfxcr3w

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2018, 02:40:14 PM »

I got a question guys i got the netgear xr500 connected to the vmg1312 lan 1 port to wan port of the netgear with lan 4 for the stats and wanted to know is this normal my devices that are connected to the netgear are showing on the vmg1312 also?  ???

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »

Not all devices will.
My RPi shows as it connects to the zyxel for DslStats.
My PC and phone show if I use either of them to view the zyxel WebUI.

I've never had other devices show on my zyxel.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

nfxcr3w

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »

Not all devices will.
My RPi shows as it connects to the zyxel for DslStats.
My PC and phone show if I use either of them to view the zyxel WebUI.

I've never had other devices show on my zyxel.

Thank you John so i take it it's normal the netgear is 192.168.1.1 and the zyxel is 192.168.1.2 cause i didn't want them both conflicting with eachother so im not sure why these devices are showing up on my netgear and the zyxel at the same time since the PS4 and PC are connected to the Netgear not the VMG1312 very strange why it shows up on the vmg though.  ??? I just hope i havnt missed something out. Cause i've never owned a Zyxel before only a Billion and a HG612. Edit* My wireless devices like mobile phone don't show up on the ZyXel just the wired devices like games console and pc and secondary router.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:49:06 PM by nfxcr3w »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »

A few points to think about. Sincere grovelling apologies if you know all of this already.

You have two networks. Two LANs.

1. One is very small, it only has two things in it, an address for your ZyXEL modem’s admin interface and possibly an address belonging to your router. This LAN is the network cable between your modem and your router.

2. The main LAN, wired and wireless which your router and all PCs and other devices are on.

Now each of these has a range of addresses associated with it. These ranges of addresses might be 256 addresses wide, but it varies. Where these address ranges are in address space is up to you and your router’s setup defines where they are and how big each range is. The two ranges may or may not overlap.

Your router may or may not know how to direct, or ‘route’, packets to the network your modem is in (that ‘network’ being merely the cable between router and modem). Mine had no clue. I had to configure it specially, to tell it where the modem was and what the address range associated with the router-to-modem cable was. My modem lives at 192.168.1.1 and its associated address range is 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.0.255. In that network, the only other thing is the router itself which is at 192.168.1.254.

My main LAN lives at 81.187.xxx.0 - 81.187.xxx.63 (64 addresses wide). On that network my router lives at 81.187.xxx.62. (Addresses have been faked up.)

The two networks, my main one and the tiny one with my modem on it, have address ranges that do not overlap.

My router has three addresses (at least). One on the main LAN, one on the modem cable and one facing the internet. Yours may or may not have one set up on the modem cable. But apart from that your router will have two or three addresses in the same way as mine.

If the address ranges of your two networks do overlap, or are right on top of each other then your router may or may not know how to route packets to the right network, but it will be pretty difficult to explain things to it, because a mention of one address will be ambiguous, that value will not tell the router which network we’re talking about clearly.

I found it really difficult getting my router set up right so that I could talk to the modem’s admin interface. You might be in luck though and it just happens to already be set up just right so that it has the setup and the understanding. That is by no means guaranteed though.

nfxcr3w

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »

A few points to think about. Sincere grovelling apologies if you know all of this already.

You have two networks. Two LANs.

1. One is very small, it only has two things in it, an address for your ZyXEL modem’s admin interface and possibly an address belonging to your router. This LAN is the network cable between your modem and your router.

2. The main LAN, wired and wireless which your router and all PCs and other devices are on.

Now each of these has a range of addresses associated with it. These ranges of addresses might be 256 addresses wide, but it varies. Where these address ranges are in address space is up to you and your router’s setup defines where they are and how big each range is. The two ranges may or may not overlap.

Your router may or may not know how to direct, or ‘route’, packets to the network your modem is in (that ‘network’ being merely the cable between router and modem). Mine had no clue. I had to configure it specially, to tell it where the modem was and what the address range associated with the router-to-modem cable was. My modem lives at 192.168.1.1 and its associated address range is 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.0.255. In that network, the only other thing is the router itself which is at 192.168.1.254.

My main LAN lives at 81.187.xxx.0 - 81.187.xxx.63 (64 addresses wide). On that network my router lives at 81.187.xxx.62. (Addresses have been faked up.)

The two networks, my main one and the tiny one with my modem on it, have address ranges that do not overlap.

My router has three addresses (at least). One on the main LAN, one on the modem cable and one facing the internet. Yours may or may not have one set up on the modem cable. But apart from that your router will have two or three addresses in the same way as mine.

If the address ranges of your two networks do overlap, or are right on top of each other then your router may or may not know how to route packets to the right network, but it will be pretty difficult to explain things to it, because a mention of one address will be ambiguous, that value will not tell the router which network we’re talking about clearly.

I found it really difficult getting my router set up right so that I could talk to the modem’s admin interface. You might be in luck though and it just happens to already be set up just right so that it has the setup and the understanding. That is by no means guaranteed though.

That was a nice read thank you Weaver for the time being i've put the HG612 back in until i can wrap my head around this ZyXeL i'll come back to it in the future but thank you all for the help. Much appreciated :) now to leave the line alone don't want to upset the dreaded evil DLM lol.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2018, 06:59:38 PM »

I don’t see why the ZyXEL makes any difference. All PPPoE modems are the same. Your router is what controls the whole thing. Your HG612 is exactly the same as the ZyXEL. They just pass bits up and down your DSL line and that’s it.

You cannot possibly do any harm by using the ZyXEL as long as you have it configured as a straight modem. Assuming that you do have it so configured, that is.

If things work with the HG612 and you can access the internet, and then you swap it out and swap in the ZyXEL, and you can still access the internet through your main router, then you have proved that you have done the right thing and that’s all there is to it.

When a true modem of this type is being a straight modem, it can not possibly be causing any security issues on the internet. (Because it will not itself be accessing the internet on its own, and if it were to decide to try to, it would need to go through your main firewall-router, and would be behind the same firewall as all your other systems.)

Whatever problems you’re seeing are due to something else, but I have not looked into this.

With this type of modem, you just plug them in, configure them for the right kind of DSL protocol stack setup and that’s it, you then just go on and use them and there’s nothing more to say.

If someone wants admin and stats access then that may need some setup in the router and modem but even without that internet access will just work.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:11:02 PM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5